Main Menu

Books

Started by Drake, December 23, 2009, 03:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake

Who has bought all the extra books arround the movie? or is thinking about it?

As far as i know there are 4.

A Scrap book/sketch book <<< getting it 24.Dec.
The Navi Quest (shortstory) <<< worth it if you are a real fan ^^
The biology book about the plants and animals and so on. <<< getting it at 26.Dec (WILL BE WORTH EVERY CENT)
The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure <<< is realy worth every cent, even if you are not a geek

Zalorticus

I think that is all there is right now...

I plan on buying all of these books as soon as I can.
Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Taruia

I'm planning on getting at least three of the four. I'm hoping I get some gift cards for Christmas so I can go and splurge XD

Elysio

I'll probably buy the Biology Book (maybe in french, still wondering)...as soon as I'll have money  ;D

Eyamsiyu

If I can get an on-campus job, I sure will get the books and some of the t-shirts available on here.  Will also probably save up enough money to go down to Indianapolis to see Avatar in 3D IMAX and back (if there's some way to get there, of course).  However, as of now, I am broke.

Also, I will be making sure I save enough to buy it once it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray or whatever the "newest" thing is out now (prays his MAC can handle Blu-Ray discs).

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Ckravitz1223

I should be getting Avatar: An Activist's Guide any day know. You are correct, it'll be worth ever cent

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

I was just going to get them at the library, but now I'm tempted to at least get the survival guide...

Working at a library means I almost never actually buy books, but I'm tired of waiting for it to finish processing!
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Eyamsiyu

Just got a bunch of money: I'm getting the books in a few days.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

Na'rìng_Tirea

Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 06, 2010, 08:53:32 PM
I was just going to get them at the library, but now I'm tempted to at least get the survival guide...

Working at a library means I almost never actually buy books, but I'm tired of waiting for it to finish processing!

I'm a Librarian too!! ;D We won't be getting the books though. Our budget cuts were drastic this year due to the economy so we're only getting books by best sellers right now... and the book buyer is hella picky about anything ordered for movies.  :'( It's sucks. I'd buy copies for the branch I work at but they would probably be kept for the headquaters branch instead.... However, I will be purchasing them for my own personal collection. <3 ;D

Faheu Akawng

Avatar: An Activist's Guide (Worth every penny!)

lilika01

I agree, the activist's guide is freaking awesome. It even has a small dictionary at the back and the words in Na'vi and English of a few songs. No grammar though.
Though i've heard some bad things about this Na'vi Quest book. Apparently it's as rushed as the game; practically a really crap summary with no actual substance. I googled the author and didn't find anything on him either.

Na'rìngyä vrrtep

The biology book about the plants and animals and so on. - I bought it. But I think, that polish translation isn't good. Names of creatures, or some words - sounds stupid. There is a lot of little mistakes.
Now about the content - there is too little number of info. about Na'vi - or about Pandora as the planet.
At least - a Na'vi in this book... after reading they seem to be very similar to humans, after watching a film, i didn't have such an impression.
(they do not give us any info about the language!)

so, what do you think about this book?

We are Omaticaya

Im probably going to buy the book latter today YAY  ;D
Join the Xbox live Learn Na'vi Group. Message the listed (Xbox live) members below if you are interested in joining. 

Gamer-tags
- Kewong Tsamsiyu
- Vrrtep Tsamsiyu
- Txur Tsamsiyu

kintìomum

I got the Activist Survival Guide and the Art of Avatar.
I'm not sure if I really want the scrap book and am sure as hell that I don't want the novel.
Opinions on the four?
(The ASG - if you take it as what it shall represent (a book scraped together from information stolen from the RDA) and not what it is -a merchandising book) it's great!
I especially like the short Na'vi dictionary in the end, much handier than a set of printouts!

The Art of Avatar - is simply amazing. There's a load of pictures that I'd readily take as poster on my walls and I like the insight into the makings and load of work that it shows went into the movie/universe.

The scrap book - well, what is it? A set of pictures from the movie? I really don't know and since these books aren't likely to appear anywhere in a book store nearby I won't bother ordering.

The novel - I actually thought about getting it. Then I saw the meager number of pages and decided: Nope, your bookshelfs are full enough, you don't want to build new ones.
Anyway, as soon as James Cameron does as he said and releases a novelization written by himself I'll test the sturdiness of my shelves :)
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Technowraith

Quote from: Na'rìngyä vrrtep on January 15, 2010, 11:05:02 AM
The biology book about the plants and animals and so on. - I bought it. But I think, that polish translation isn't good. Names of creatures, or some words - sounds stupid. There is a lot of little mistakes.
Now about the content - there is too little number of info. about Na'vi - or about Pandora as the planet.
At least - a Na'vi in this book... after reading they seem to be very similar to humans, after watching a film, i didn't have such an impression.
(they do not give us any info about the language!)

so, what do you think about this book?

I've heard there are localization issues with the Activist Guide. Depending on the quality of translation, the extent of the issues could be greater or lesser. Some of the english names are somewhat different, but mostly because (at least to me) Pandora is a new world. So there are things that have names that even we can't make sense of in English. (Baja tickler? That's a plant name. ASG, p.116. Hookagourd is another example. Also another plant. ASG p. 132, Both ecamples are the common names, not the na'vi or scientific names.)
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tsamsiyu uniltìranyu

Where can get these books from? any local store? :/ Amazon? :/
I'll give you the wings to fly high, will you pull me along whilst you flying high?

Technowraith

Quote from: Tsamsiyu uniltìranyu on January 25, 2010, 05:20:35 AM

I got my soundtrack and Activist guide from Amazon. Amazon also had a little bundle thingy where if you purchased certain Avatar related items together, you got a discount of some sort.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tsamsiyu uniltìranyu

Quote from: Technowraith on January 25, 2010, 09:09:10 AM
Quote from: Tsamsiyu uniltìranyu on January 25, 2010, 05:20:35 AM

I got my soundtrack and Activist guide from Amazon. Amazon also had a little bundle thingy where if you purchased certain Avatar related items together, you got a discount of some sort.

Kaltxi
thats cool
Same Pro pic... haha
Irayo I'll check it out.

Kiyevame Eywa naghu
I'll give you the wings to fly high, will you pull me along whilst you flying high?

Eyamsiyu

Finally got the soundtrack!  And I agree with what a lot of people have been saying: I really feel something when I hear "Jake's First Flight."

Now let's hope I get a job so I can get the books.

Tsamsiyu uniltìranyu

Quote from: Autakuk'Ekong on January 26, 2010, 05:21:40 PM
Finally got the soundtrack!  And I agree with what a lot of people have been saying: I really feel something when I hear "Jake's First Flight."

Now let's hope I get a job so I can get the books.

I do tooo... It's an emotional awakening isn't it? :/ I never tryed lsiten to it when I do my workout... However I shall try it :/