The Art of Avatar opinions

Started by Txura Tirea, January 13, 2010, 05:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txura Tirea

I just bought this book and I think it deserves it's own thread. The pictures in this book are amazing, it's like you're on Pandora again when you read it.
Instead of seeing the movie over and over again, this is a good (cheaper) alternative, just looking at the pictures while listening to the soundtrack.  :)
(Of course nothing beats seeing the movie.  :P)

What are your opinions on The Art of Avatar?
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much." - Dr. Grace Augustine

Nume fpi sänume

I flipped through it, and i may pick it up as something to put on the coffee table or something, but im still undecided so far.

Unilmokri

Waiting for it to arrive in the mail ;)

And while I don't wish to sound like an advertiser of a website, it's up at a reduced price on amazon.co.uk
Found the Art of Avatar, the soundtrack and the survivor's guide to Pandora as a 3-package set, should by any luck arrive tomorrow, latest by the coming monday :D
Can't wait!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.       - John Stuart Mill

Suteyä Hawnuyu

As an artist, I have a very high appreciation for the concept art in the book. It should be a good reference for whenever I feel the need to draw a Pandoran ioang (animal).
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

kintìomum

I just picked it out of the mailbox and...
wow! Tears of joy are streaming down my face when looking into it.
It's as you said, ma Txura Tirea: a journey back to Pandora.
But it's even more. The book is full of awesome work and details. You get to see the thought, effort and design process behind the creation of this wonderful world.
(Damn you, Cameron! I'm addicted to a MOVIE!)
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: kintìomum on January 18, 2010, 05:58:04 AM

He needs to stop making awesome movies. :<

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Suteyä Hawnuyu on January 18, 2010, 10:34:11 AM

BLASPHEMER! Eat text. (>^_^)>--//=============>(>O.o)>
                                    ^                                        ^
                                   me                                      you
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tsahameylu on January 18, 2010, 10:37:09 AM

Text doesn't taste good.  :'( But I just got stabbed, so I doubt anything will taste good in a few moments...

kintìomum

Fpi Eywa ke!
Well, at least not before finishing the Avatar-trilogy...
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: kintìomum on January 18, 2010, 10:59:00 AM

Fpi Eywa ke!

I think that after the trilogy is complete, they should work on "Planter Earth" Pandora style, The short 4 minute clip they did was nice but I think they could make a series when they can start pumping out cg faster by the time the 3rd movie comes out.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tsahameylu on January 18, 2010, 11:10:33 AM
Quote from: kintìomum on January 18, 2010, 10:59:00 AM

Fpi Eywa ke!

I think that after the trilogy is complete, they should work on "Planter Earth" Pandora style, The short 4 minute clip they did was nice but I think they could make a series when they can start pumping out cg faster by the time the 3rd movie comes out.

Layu sìltsan!

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

I love the art in the book. The landscape is amazing. I draw landscapes all the time, and some of it was made up, but this blew everything out of the water!

Dullface

I just recieved it too, and I must say it's amazing. Only have positive things to say about it. Get it. :)
My Avatar wallpaper pack! http://forum.learnnavi.org/fan-art/big-wallpaper-collection/
My Avatar art collection! http://forum.learnnavi.org/fan-art/big-art-pack!
Enjoy. :)
Eywa ngahu!

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Eywal ngaru teing oeti on January 18, 2010, 06:30:57 PM
I love the art in the book. The landscape is amazing. I draw landscapes all the time, and some of it was made up, but this blew everything out of the water!

It is rather beautiful. I love the bioluminescence!

Unilmokri

Got my Art of Avatar, the sountrack and the activists book at the same time.

The art book is simply amazing. Beautiful drawings of every aspect of the movie, it also has little text-coloums in it explaining different stages of the artistic designing of the movie and its ideas.
Reading the behind-the-scenes about how the animals were thought up, designed and finally approved was a special treat, and one that I hadn't been counting on.
I hightly recommend people getting it if they're even remotely interested in the art-side (which honestly, who isn't when we're talking Avatar? :p)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.       - John Stuart Mill

Txur’Itan

The art book is pretty cool.  There are some things in the art book that helped me to better recognise some items in the background of interior of Hometree the next time I saw the film.
私は太った男だ。

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on January 18, 2010, 10:37:09 AM

OMG This still makes me laugh, every time I read it. I must cough up a KP for bring some lasting fun to this place. :)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Technowraith

Quote from: dustywhite on January 24, 2010, 10:34:55 PM
Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on January 18, 2010, 10:37:09 AM

hahahha! win!

OMG This still makes me laugh, every time I read it. I must cough up a KP for bring some lasting fun to this place. :)
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tsu'roen

The only complaint I have is about The Art Of Avatar is its poor binding & cut.
I hand-picked mine out of a stack at Borders - checking every page - and there was not one that had not binding or cutting issues. On some the fold-out pages were cut at the fold so that the fold out was cut off and loose. Others had loose pages. The best I could find still had one loose page. 
So this is a book you want to buy in a store where you can inspect it.

And the double page wide concept art images would have been better on an fold-out page. 

But the content is awesome!
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Tsu'roen on February 04, 2010, 11:43:40 PM
The only complaint I have is about The Art Of Avatar is its poor binding & cut.
I hand-picked mine out of a stack at Borders - checking every page - and there was not one that had not binding or cutting issues. On some the fold-out pages were cut at the fold so that the fold out was cut off and loose. Others had loose pages. The best I could find still had one loose page. 
So this is a book you want to buy in a store where you can inspect it.

And the double page wide concept art images would have been better on an fold-out page. 

But the content is awesome!
Good to know.

Hey, who is the publisher of record for that? If you get a chance, check the title page and let me know who made it (Random House?). you see, the major publishers have been screaming that "self-published books" are of poor design and content, but this book is part of a multi-billion dollar franchise (that has not even begin to make the billions it will in merch and licensing). So it is interesting to know if this thing was printed in a third world company by the RDA in an efforts to save a few shekels. I have no doubt it cost quite a bit. I have yet to check out the pub price--been buried in Na'vi work lately.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)