Started by Alan, July 21, 2013, 04:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Quote from: Tìtstewan on July 24, 2013, 11:18:38 PM
A Palulukan should eat people who post so large images.... ::)
Use this codes:
[img width=723 height=968]http://imageshack.us/a/img838/5035/t4kv.jpg[/img]
[img width=723 height=540]http://imageshack.us/a/img825/1851/7z2g.jpg[/img]
[img width=723 height=540]http://imageshack.us/a/img541/444/z43q.jpg[/img]

Hey, be nice.  I'm a skxawng when it comes to computer-trickery especially when on my phone - hahaha ;D

For some reason the photos seem to auto scale on the other two forums.  :-\ Irayo for the guidance, though.  I appreciate it and will remember for next time :)

Having said that I may well be off grid once we leave Hell's Gate and venture into the Pandoran forest due to lack of Wi-fi for my UK phone.  However, activities planned include campfire clan meals, Na'vi lessons, trip to an unobtainium mine where they have discovered a new mineral called Herculaneum, cosplay for Avatar drivers, viewing of some of the meet ups held this year and also watching Avatar - the film that brought us altogether and started us on this wonderful adeventure.

If we can connect we will.  If not, sorry for the silence, but you can join us by watching Avatar on Saturday night, wherever you are. :D

Alan

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Alan on July 25, 2013, 05:12:17 AM
Hey, be nice.  I'm a skxawng when it comes to computer-trickery especially when on my phone - hahaha ;D

For some reason the photos seem to auto scale on the other two forums.  :-\ Irayo for the guidance, though.  I appreciate it and will remember for next time :)
It's depend which forum software is used.  However, this is forum knowledge, ftw! ;D ;D

Which other two forums? ???
Edit: Well, I found them...hrh
Only in one forum the images is scaled down.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Alan

How strange?  Both the ToS and AF photos have scaled down on my phone.  Go figure!  :)

Anyway, like I said, I'm a Skxawng on these things so irayo for the help.  :)

Alan

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Alan on July 25, 2013, 06:38:15 AM
How strange?  Both the ToS and AF photos have scaled down on my phone.  Go figure!  :)
I have took a look. ;) AF = Avatar Forums, so...

Quote from: Alan on July 25, 2013, 06:38:15 AM
Anyway, like I said, I'm a Skxawng on these things so irayo for the help.  :)
Kea tìkin. :D
Have fun on the epic Avatar meet! :D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Alan

Maybe it is a PC thing?  Duno?  Oh well.

Quote from: Tìtstewan on July 25, 2013, 06:53:31 AM
Kea tìkin. :D
Have fun on the epic Avatar meet! :D

Irayo ma tsmuk :). My bags are now packed for the next bit.  Time for some syuve!  Om, yom, yom  :D

Alan

Ftiafpi

Ahah, I have arrived at the campground lodge. Anyone else here? I'll be walking around in a white learnnavi shirt if people are.

Toruk Makto

My wife and I finally made it to the lodge. Got to see a bunch of folks at the campground site. Good burger! :)
Paul and John have arrived and are settling in after a long day of travel.

See yall at 9:00a tomorrow!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Alan

Well, we all had our road trip to Big Meadows.  I joined our German aysmukan and loaded up the car with all the bags and set off.  The thing that made me laugh was the Ikxeru didn't like the German voice on the Sat-Nav and so it was changed to the American one!

About halfway through the trip we stopped of for some syuve (food).  This was in the form of a Subway - they are everywhere!  But it seemed far better than frequenting the McDonalds.  An ice cream kiosk was spotted and so we just had to drop by - Om, yom, yom!

On the road again and the terrain began to get noticeably hillier.  Then in the distance we saw the Blue Ridge Mountains of West Virginia...there's a song there...and headed up the hill.  The road began to be banked round the corners.  After screeching of the tyres and a rather confused auto gearbox we made it to the Skyline Drive and paid our $15.  There was now just a 20 mile ride to big meadows.

A fair amount of altitude was gained as we went along, pausing every now and again to admire the amazing vistas before us.  After passing a few cyclists (!) we made it to Kelutral.

There is a variety of accommodation here and I think we are using every type.  I opted for a middle of the range lodge,  others went for the air conditioned version, whilst some ventured for camping.

After arrival I ventured down to the campsite to see our Avatar couple, Moco Loco and Human No More had arrived and so had Mikko, who was stringing up his hammock.  Eventually everyone arrived, including some new faces to the Meet Up. :). Mikko handed out the T-Shirts whilst chief food organiser, DJ Makto pulled to syuve together.

With just about everyone arrived a committee was formed to start the fire.  We had a dead grass collector, wood keeper, adviser and arsonist... I mean fire starter.  WHOOOPH!  Ok the fire is going.   Hehehe

Cheese burgers and hot dogs all round along with some steamed veggies and some chips (Why do you Americans call them that?  They are crisps!  Hahaha). Anyway it was all very "om, yom, yom" as the sun gave way to a starry night and the temperature decided to dip too.  Well, we were waaaaay up in the mountains!

Much talking took place, but highlight of the evening was when Fiyerwall found a huuuge moth and brought it to the campsite for Raiden to identify.  Having identified it he then placed it on his nose whilst it warmed up for its evening frolics.  Just wait until you see the pictures - of which many were taken!

Friday will be a trip to the unobtainium mine.  It is hoped that we may get to see the new mineral that the RDA scientist have found, called Herculaneum.  So until then Eywa ngahu.

Alan

Alan

We did some cool stuff today!  First up was camp breakfast, which required the boiling of water over an open fire...only we had to get the fire going with damp wood!  Eventually it did get going and slowwwwly decided to boil.  This was so we could have some porridge!

Eventually we made it through breakfast and so we could head on out toooooo.... The Luray Caves.  This was an hour's ride out along the Skyline Drive and along another windy road to the caves.

Eventually the whole convey arrive and Mikko rounded us you into a line so we could get the group discount.  We just made it with 20 aysmuk!  So off we went into the caverns for our hour long guided tour.  It was quite interesting and breath taking in parts. Some of it reminded me of the Iknimaya climb!  My favourite bit was the pool of water that was so still that it created a perfect reflection of the ceiling.

Eventually we made our we out and some of us had a bit to eat at the local cafe before having a quick look round the toy display. I like the train set, but then I would!

After a stop off at the local Walmart for supplies, ranging from materials for Na'vi consume through to Nutella(!), we headed back for camp. In the afternoon Karyu Pawl joined us and gave us a refresher class 101. This was great as we were all sat on the grass in a big circle and had fun going through the basic phrases again.  It was txantsan!

Once our cups had been filled to overflowing with Na'vi it was time for some syuve!  Om, yom, yom.  Whilst the fire was started supplies were brought down from the lodge cabin.  So we had burgers, hot dogs, steamed veggies and best of all - marshmallows dipped in Nutella!  We also introduce DJ Makto to the stuff!  This poor guy had never had it before.  Anyway that was soon corrected in front of everyone as the sun gradually set and so ended another great day at AvatarMeet.

Alan

Tsmuktengan

It really looks great! I hope no one was claustrophobic in the cave you visited.

Alan

The caves were tight in places, but cavernous in others!  A right old rabbit warren!  Hehe.

The following day was an interesting one in multiple ways as you will find out.  All the activities were to take place at the lodge.  The first activity Na'vi class 102, which was a follow on from class 102 that was held in Seattle last year.  We are most grateful to Karyu Pawl who had put in a lot of work to pull the class together and conducted it is the same enthusiastic and relaxed way as he did last year.  (Why weren't my lecturers at uni like him?)

As per last year, we videoed the lesson, which will appear as a set of short video lessons for those who were unable to make it to the meet-up.  It will also be a refresher for those who were there and those who want to brush up on their Na'vi.  So look out for these in due course.

Following the Na'vi lesson there was free time for everyone, whilst the class room was changed into a cinema.  Lunch was a bit damp as the rain poured down, doing a merry dance on the floor.

Gradually people began to drift back to the meeting room as sound checks were made for the cinema set up.  We are indebted to Mikko and Peter who provided the techie gear to make it all happen.  It all worked a treat...in the end!  Hehehe.

To help pass the time, a couple of meet up videos were shown.  One from a London mini-meet and the other from EuroAvatar 3.  Ikxeru did a wonderful commentary for the EuroAvatar video which also included a Na'vi version!   With there still being a little time left those who were present watch The Volume.  If you don't know what it is check out you Avatar Bluray and prepare to laugh your socks off!

Eventually, it was time for the screening of Avatar.  So with everyone present the play button was pressed the screen went black.  But instead of Avatar starting who should appear on screen, but non-other than Jon Landau himself with a message to everyone at AvatarMeet!!!  His message to everyone at the meet-up gave an update on progress with Avatar 2, the Pandora Forest project with Disney and new technology development with Weta.  Jon's message to us was filmed in their new volume Manhattan studio and you could see a mo-cap artist sitting on the floor in the background.

To round off his wonderful message to us he said that new screening of Avatar would be complete without some food and drink. At which point some goodie bags were brought out for everyone, along with drinks!!

Everyone was taken aback by seeing Jon on the screen with his message to us and the generosity of Lightstorm, who also paid for the room hire for the day too.  It is hard to express our irayo and meuia to Jon, Kathy, Kevin and the rest of the Lightstorm team for their kindness and generosity towards all of us.

As the goodie bags were handed out, Paul's husband, John, handed out these wonderful metal and enamel Na'vi 'ivong badges to everyone, which again took everyone by surprise!

The final gifts to hand out were to Paul and John from all of us there.  We had all secretly been signing an irayo card for them, which had been beautifully designed by CyanRachel. Unfortunately she was not well enough to attend the meet up, which was very sad only.

So we called Paul and John up to the front and handed them the card and also some books that we thought they would like.  So for John, who is a transport enthusiast, there was a book on steam locomotives and for Paul two books relating to Native Americans. One of which was about Native American sign language.

With irayos all round we all settled down again and watched Avatar!  Having had our class 102 from Paul we were all listening all the more intently to the Na'vi words in the film.

Post film, having regained our composures we had a good old chin wag and Fiyerwall shared her AvatarMeet scrap book with everyone.  Paul gave us some anecdotes from when he was filmed for the Nova videos.  Eventually we cleaned up the room before retiring to bed... What an evening!

Alan

Netrìp~Oetsyìp

This one's mood is improving just reading about all of it - thanks a ton for sharing & the smile ma frapo!

Alan

Glad to hear it ma tsmuk :D

It was the last full day of AvatarMeet 2013 and what better way to round off than with cosplay!! The day started early with painting up for those who were taking part.  Those taking part were Ikxeru, Sarah, Fiyerwall, Wiesel and DJ Makto. It took them several hours to get all painted up, but once transformed, you can imagine the reaction.

The other visitors to the lodge who walked past wanted their photos taking with them.  Even the staff came out the woodwork too, with some of them poking their heads above the fence like meerkats!  We were keeping the Avatar spirit alive, and everyone knew Avatar!

After the mini photo shoot we were directed up to Blackrock, which was a five minute walk away and overlooked the valley.  The view was...outstanding and the perfect setting for some Avatar/Na'vi shots.  No doubt these will be posted so keep a look out ;)

The next port of call was a waterfall that was located near by.  It was decided to walk there as it was only a mile or so.....more 'so' than 'mile' I think!  As we walked along the sidewalk cars kept slowing down.  Some took photos.  Some stopped to find out what we were doing.  It was amazing we didn't cause an accident!

Eventually we made it to the start of the path that lead to the water falls.  We were joined by some of the others from the camp including Paul and John. All of a sudden, the natural environment with our Na'vi seemed to take on a Pandoran feel to it...until we met some tawtute!  Hehehehe.

It was interested seeing the different reactions from people from those who pretended not to see anything through to those who stopped for a good chinwag, which was great.  We had a video camera with us and a number of people asked if we were filming the next Avatar!  We soon corrected them.

Eventually we made it to the falls where there were a load of people doing their thing.  That soon changed to a mass photo shoot of Na'vi around the waterfalls, making sure they did not get wet!

Eventually we exhausted the photo opportunities there and continued to the very bottom of the falls.  DJ Makto wanted to do a piece to camera for AvatarNation....away, ten takes later... Hahaha :D

Now came the hard bit, climbing up Iknimaya!  While is it that thinks seem steeper going up rather than down?  Well we are a sturdy bunch and so 'photo opportunities' were taken every once in a while.  Raiden managed to catch a couple of snakes along the way and educated us about them.  Near the top we saw a log balance across the stream and so one more photo opportunity was taken.  This ended up being a bit of and expensive photo shoot for Mikko, who dropped one of his lenses in the drink!  Fortunately it was insured.

Once at the top some opted for a ride back to base, whilst a few of us took a trail back through the woods.  Back at camp cameras and laptops littered the tables as photos were downloaded and camera talk filled the air....oh and Mikko poked at his 'damp' lens.

Whilst we waited for the rest to arrive the campfire was started - eventually!  However once it got going with the help of a 'wafter', AKA chopping board, it was soon roaring away.  Chicken was the order of the day, with steamed veggies, oh, and a S'mores cake that Raiden made.  Om, yom, yom.

The rest of the evening was spent with general chit-chat whilst we observed the lightning in a cumulonimbus cloud in the distance.  There was a really good discussion with Paul about how in the film making process, some of the Na'vi had to be shortened to fit the film.  The reason being that English it a relatively compact language compared to others, especially Na'vi.

As the evening turned to night, people began to drift back to their beds, but not before some heart felt 'kiyevames' and 'Eywa ngahus' were expressed...

Alan.

Alan

Just arrived back in the UK and now sat at St Pancras railway station waiting for my train back to the East Midlands...ahhhh...can't believe it's all over.  It seems like only moments ago that I was with my Avatar Family at Big Meadows....ahhhh....and now I have to wait a whole year to see you all again.  Very sad only...  :'(

Ho-hmmm....at least I will get to see everyone again whilst editing all the video footage.  So keep a look out over the coming months.  In the meantime, no doubt a lot of photos will be published to share with everyone :)

A massive irayo nìtxan to everyone who came (or couldn't) and helped make it happen.  It was really great to see everyone again in person and also meet new aysmuk.

We were honoured to have Karyu Pawl and John join us and really be a part of the meet up.  We are so grateful to Paul for giving us Na'vi class 102 and to John who gave everyone a Na'vi badge that he had had produced with the help of Prrton.  Irayo nìtxan ma aysmukan.

Also to Jon Landau, who gave time in his busy schedule to send us a message and Lightstorm who were so generous to us in paying for the room rental for the drinks and food for the Avatar showing.

Irayo to Peter and Mikko who provided and sorted out all the techie equipment for the Na'vi lessons and showing Avatar.

Irayo to DJ Makto who dealt with the food for the meet up, in spite of the rainy day.  Irayo to Sarah too for organising the cosplay.

Irayo to everyone who came and made it a wonderful and fun meet up despite whatever troubles came along in our path.  It was a wonderful event with many treasures memories to keep.

Lastly, but not least, irayo nìtxan to my German aysmukan who accommodated me in their vehicle and took me to the campsite and brought me back to the airport.  You are wonderful and fun people to be with.

Irayo nìtxan ulte Eywa ngahu

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I want to report that I made it back safely as well. But not without a little unplanned 'adventure'!

I had some unfortunate 'challenges' on this trip that made it difficult to fully participate, but still managed to have a good time (I will share all in detail when I have some more time). I made some new friendships and deepened other friendships.

The flight back to Reno was in two legs, with the midpoint being Denver, Colorado. The Denver flight was delayed multiple times, but finally got off about an hour late. About 20 minutes out from Denver the pilot came on and told us we were about to land. But we should note that there will be a lot of hubbub about the aircraft when we do land. It seems one of the three redundant hydraulic systems on this Boeing 757 sprung a leak and bled completely dry. So, on final, the landing gear was down way early, and we did a 'maximum performance landing' (and everyone aboard applauded). The the pilot came on and told us that we had had no nosewheel steering! So after making sure we weren't spewing hydraulic fluid everywhere, we were towed in, making us even later.

I ended up having to walk very fast (with a hurting bad hip!) to the next gate, where they were holding the Denver-Reno flight for me and one other passenger. That flight was held an additional 10 minutes because the brakes were still too hot from its previous landing (It was a short-turnaround stop...too short, maybe). We did make it to Reno almost on time, but not without some 'furious flying'!

My cats were happy to see me (they wouldn't leave me alone!) and my hip is doing a lot better, especially today! (More to come about AvatarMeet, proper!)

Just a little humor... Q: If the thanator had caught Jake Sully, what would the thanator have had? A: Avatar meat! ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Sìkat

(regarding the humor:) *sprays coffee* HRH :D

Glad to see you made it home OK.  Did you get my email?

Sarah Noel

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 30, 2013, 02:47:16 PM
Just a little humor... Q: If the thanator had caught Jake Sully, what would the thanator have had? A: Avatar meat! ;)
:P :P :P :P :P Hahahaha, good one!

Toruk Makto

Avatar meat with a side of crunchy back pack!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tìtstewan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 30, 2013, 02:47:16 PM
;D ;D ;D Good one! ;D

Quote from: Toruk Makto on July 30, 2013, 04:20:16 PM
Avatar meat with a side of crunchy back pack!
HRH!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Sìkat on July 30, 2013, 03:08:20 PM
(regarding the humor:) *sprays coffee* HRH :D

Glad to see you made it home OK.  Did you get my email?

I did see your email. I have just been been busy. I'll respond a bit later.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]