AvatarMeet 2013: Location and Date Proposal.

Started by mikkowilson, December 16, 2012, 03:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The proposed date and location for AvatarMeet 2013 on July 25-28 in Washington DC...

The location is ok but I have a conflict with the date, I don't think I can make it.
9 (26.5%)
Isn't perfect, but I think I can make it work and hope to attend.
8 (23.5%)
The date works but the location doesn't, I don't think I can make it.
14 (41.2%)
The location is ok but I have a conflict with the date, I don't think I can make it.
0 (0%)
Neither the date or the location works for me.
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: January 01, 2013, 03:15:13 PM

Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan

Kaltxì ma smuk.

While I welcome the East Coast location which will be more convenient for those across the great pond, I'm left wondering about the weather conditions at that time of year and the impact it would have on cosplay.  We were fairly lucky in Seattle last year that it was pleasant, but I know that the few days before the meet, Ottawa was up to 33°C.

We did end up with some problems with the paint that was used for the cosplayers starting to flake off in the afternoon as the paint dried out - but I heard suggestions from Paul and Candace that they may try a different paint for 2013 (if they're able to attend.)

In any case, 30°C (or even 25°C) doesn't sound like "paint yourself blue and stop your ability to sweat" weather to me (I wonder what the more experienced cosplayers think about this...)  Washington, being South of Ottawa, I'd imagine would experience similar conditions to Ottawa which can get quite warm and humid.  Maybe someone from the Washington area can comment on expected weather around the proposed time of year?

Sarah Noel

Quote from: tsyalatun on December 20, 2012, 01:56:07 PM
In any case, 30°C (or even 25°C) doesn't sound like "paint yourself blue and stop your ability to sweat" weather to me (I wonder what the more experienced cosplayers think about this...)

As I start working on my accessories for my cosplay in 2013, I've started actually thinking about this a lot more, and honestly... I'm getting extremely nervous about it.

Waterbased make ups normally work well after drying, Candace's painting being a bit of a fluke. I used a different brand than hers and have never had the flaking problem in the 10 times I've done it, mine simply sets after it's completely dry. I think if Candace does do it again, she'll try her best to find a different brand. (If you use too much fixative I've noticed it can also flake from that, but I normally skip it.)

I DO get problems when it rewets though. Awful problems. It runs and smears and washes away. I've noticed when I'm in 75 degrees (24 C) I'll sweat a little in my armpits, no big deal, I wear antiperspirants and just accept it's going to wear there a little bit.

If I'm sweating, and the humidity not only disallows evaporation of the sweat, but adds its own moisture to the entire surface of my skin, I can't imagine the make up looking good or staying on very long. I live in Louisiana swamp lands where the temperatures and humidity both get extremely high, but I've never bothered testing how the make up behaves in that sort of weather because it seemed silly and a waste. I might do a dry run once it heats back up to see, or should I call it a damp run? If the temperature hits the 90s (32) even without humidity adding its own problems, the sweating will get pretty bad. At least in a dry climate it can evaporate before smearing all the paint away.

According to this: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/washington-dc/20006/july-weather/327659 the temperatures were very high last July, above 90 (32) most days, and according to this: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/humidity-city-july.php  the humidity around 67% percent, which is pretty moist.

If it gets that hot, I'm honestly probably going to just stay inside, or skip the costume entirely.

DJ Makto

Quote from: Sarah Noel on December 20, 2012, 05:30:06 PM
Quote from: tsyalatun on December 20, 2012, 01:56:07 PM
In any case, 30°C (or even 25°C) doesn't sound like "paint yourself blue and stop your ability to sweat" weather to me (I wonder what the more experienced cosplayers think about this...)

As I start working on my accessories for my cosplay in 2013, I've started actually thinking about this a lot more, and honestly... I'm getting extremely nervous about it.

Waterbased make ups normally work well after drying, Candace's painting being a bit of a fluke. I used a different brand than hers and have never had the flaking problem in the 10 times I've done it, mine simply sets after it's completely dry. I think if Candace does do it again, she'll try her best to find a different brand. (If you use too much fixative I've noticed it can also flake from that, but I normally skip it.)

I DO get problems when it rewets though. Awful problems. It runs and smears and washes away. I've noticed when I'm in 75 degrees (24 C) I'll sweat a little in my armpits, no big deal, I wear antiperspirants and just accept it's going to wear there a little bit.

If I'm sweating, and the humidity not only disallows evaporation of the sweat, but adds its own moisture to the entire surface of my skin, I can't imagine the make up looking good or staying on very long. I live in Louisiana swamp lands where the temperatures and humidity both get extremely high, but I've never bothered testing how the make up behaves in that sort of weather because it seemed silly and a waste. I might do a dry run once it heats back up to see, or should I call it a damp run? If the temperature hits the 90s (32) even without humidity adding its own problems, the sweating will get pretty bad. At least in a dry climate it can evaporate before smearing all the paint away.

According to this: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/washington-dc/20006/july-weather/327659 the temperatures were very high last July, above 90 (32) most days, and according to this: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/humidity-city-july.php  the humidity around 67% percent, which is pretty moist.

If it gets that hot, I'm honestly probably going to just stay inside, or skip the costume entirely.

PAX to the rescue? :D

In all seriousness this is a issue to consider as I do know from past experience that D.C. is legendary for the humidity and sweat factor.

I also was reminded by a friend of mine who was in DC very recently that the lines in the summer to most of the museums in the Smithsonian are absolutely terrible especially with the amped up security checkpoints.

Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan

Quote from: DJ Makto on December 20, 2012, 10:09:20 PM
PAX to the rescue? :D

Again, deferring to those more experienced in the matter for a more authoritative reply, but... from what I remember before last meet, my understanding is that it's easier to overheat with PAX as it is a more effective seal than water based paints.  I also believe Ikxeru (hope I spelled your name correctly?) had an issue with his PAX paint in Seattle after being out in the sun on the steps, though I don't recall exactly what the issue was (paint shrinkage?)

As I'm relatively inexperienced this stuff (Seattle was my first time) I'm really treading in new territory here; what I do know is that being a Brit, I don't do well in temperatures above about 28°C (82°F) especially at the higher humidity levels, and that's without any paint on!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Candace was talking about using an alcohol based paint next year. This is superior quality paint that I bet also breathes better. It is also good for several days. But it is 'aw expensive, and mune hard to clean off. But I suspect that for serious cosplayers, it may be the only way to fly.

Ikxeru's paint job looked especially nice, and continued to look nice for a couple of days. It looked very natural, almost like a tattoo. So, PAX can have very good results as well. But the sweating thing needs to be addressed.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alan

Yeahhh....regarding cosplay.  This is something that will have to be thought through.

I looked at the weather for July (irayo for the link ma Sarah) for all the places that we listed and even Boston in the North East can make it to 100F/37C.  The only place that doesn't seems to be the North West.  However, it seems the right thing to go somewhere else and the East coast seems the logical choice.

So regardless of where we would go, which ever year, cosplay seems to need a bit of thought.  I must admit I know very little about the process and materials/paints...other than the txantsan talk that Sarah gave in Seattle.

I guess non-smear/non-water soluble paints are the key.  However, consideration need to be given to peoples welfare with regard to potentially over heating and sunburn if the paint do not offer sun protection.

It might be that Cosplay is kept inside for a number of activities, like cosplay comp, roll playing, clan meal and other fun stuff I can't thing of at the moment (ideas welcome ;) ).  Then when the sun goes down a bit, we can paint the town blue...as it were.

It seems it is something that we need to consider for any venue....unless it is in the northwest...or we have a meet up at a cooler time of the year, like May.  However, people's availability to attend that time of year may be limited.

Well, there's a few thoughts.  Hope they help.  It there anyone out there who has previous experience at cosplay during 'hot weather' and being all painted up?

Also anymore suggestions for a tag line?  What would be the best way to sum up an AvatarMeet in 2013?

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

If any city in the US needs to be painted blue, it is Washington!  ::)

Perhaps, some place in Maine should have been considered for a meetup. Portland is easy to fly to/from. Its cooler there is summer, and is much more in keeping with meaouniaea. Maine also has a lot of natural beauty, including lots of waterfront.

I do have a byline for you: Awngal ayolo'it 'awstengyerem A slight variant, going off of Prrton's triple-infix byline from last year (with only two infixes) Awngal ayolo'it 'awstengyereiem

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Zusupa Tanhì

'Finding the lost ones' might be a good tag line, for obvious reasons.
Stay your blade from the flesh of the innocent.
Always be discreet.
Do not compromise the Brotherhood.
~The Assassin's Creed

Ikxeru

Oh, you really mess up my plans. Anyway, if the clan calls, I will follow. You don't get rid of me ;)

And I can't wait to shake my blue-striped txìm and wag my kxetse in the capital of the US.
* purrrrrrs
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Zusupa Tanhì

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 23, 2012, 08:10:40 AM
Oh, you really mess up my plans. Anyway, if the clan calls, I will follow. You don't get rid of me ;)

And I can't wait to shake my blue-striped txìm and wag my kxetse in the capital of the US.
* purrrrrrs
That's the spirit! I can't wait either :P
Stay your blade from the flesh of the innocent.
Always be discreet.
Do not compromise the Brotherhood.
~The Assassin's Creed

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 22, 2012, 02:13:51 PM
If any city in the US needs to be painted blue, it is Washington!  ::)

Perhaps, some place in Maine should have been considered for a meetup. Portland is easy to fly to/from. Its cooler there is summer, and is much more in keeping with meaouniaea. Maine also has a lot of natural beauty, including lots of waterfront.

[/desc]

The challenge with Maine would be for additional travel costs.  An extra flight would be required from Boston or New York (if avail) for international (as well as for long distance travelers such as coming from the US west coast) adds a bit of an expense.  Otherwise Boston to Portland is about a 2.5 hour drive.  But a very nice temperature with varying scenery both coastal and interior (mountains).

If, for the time being, AvatarMeet is kept on the west coast (or a single flight from LAX), you have a stronger chance of soliciting a visit from the Directors.  Just mentioning this for consideration.

Palulukan-Makto

I'm better off with West Coast then the East Coast one because I don't think I could get to DC, and if it was on the West coast it would be much easer for me. I also enjoyed being in Seattle for the last two meet ups, but maybe we could move it down the coast to maybe Los Angeles or San Diego. There are amazing things in San Diego like the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, which is an amazing place with tons of museums and we could cosplay all around the park since Balboa Park is a 1,200-acre urban cultural park in San Diego, California.

There is also San Diego Air & Space Museum, Reuben H. Fleet Science Center, Japanese Friendship Garden (which is so beautiful in the summer time), and so many other places and museums inside the park you can spend hours at Balboa Park, and there are a ton of great places to get great photos, there is this huge tree that looks like Hometree, but its fenced off so no one could climb on it, but it is still an amazing tree. And beautiful gardens that have plants that almost look like they could have came from Pandora.

It's so nice and has some amazing places to cosplay.

Just think about it.
Oel ngati kameie

Avatar is the greatest movie of all time!!!

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid! Ignorant like a child!" - Neytiri

aff7

This is an awesome location ;D

I have been in DC during the summer, and the weather is fine. The venues mentioned are awesome. If you can't find a place to stay, there are many hostels that are safe and free. Plus, we have the unique opportunity to make ourselves shown on the national stage!!!

Palulukan-Makto

Which location are you talking about? Mine or the planning teams? ???
Oel ngati kameie

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid! Ignorant like a child!" - Neytiri

Prrton

I think DC is s a fine place to have this. It really could be brutally hot, though.

I haven't responded to the poll yet because none of the answers precisely matches my situation.

I have no obligations at this time that will definitely conflict, but I'll have just returned from Australia a couple of weeks before. It may be challenging for me to make it, but I'm not sure yet.

So, in summary, I'm supportive of the venue and timeframe, but not sure if I'll make it or not.

Palulukan-Makto

Oel ngati kameie

Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo)

I think it'd be great to have a meetup on the East Coast. I know a lot of people haven't been able to travel across the country and this would be a great opportunity for them. As for the weather and cosplaying DC can get quite hot, but a solution to that would be to stay inside until the evening then go out. I know this was mentioned earlier on here and I think it would be plausible.

I live in Virginia and also have a brother who lives in DC so I'm going to ask him about places where we could stay or eat that won't cost an arm and a leg. I'm also going to look for any place that has archery within a reasonable distance.

As for a tagline, how about "Clans of the Eastern Sea" or Journey to the Eastern Sea"? Or something along those lines?  :)
When you see nothing, you see everything.
There's a picture of me on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!

Ftiafpi

I think one of the biggest problems is that many people on the East coast can not make it to the West coast and the reverse. As the last one was held on the West coast it seems to only make sense to have a East coast meet-up this year. As for the temp, July will definitely be warm but not intolerable. Still, it may be a good idea to put this later in the year to avoid some of the higher temperatures (and all give people even more time to plan and gather funds).

Either way works for me.

Prrton

The other good thing about the East Coast is that it's closer to Europe.

Palulukan-Makto

As long as its not over seas that would be fine with me.
Oel ngati kameie