AvatarMeet 2013: Location and Date Proposal.

Started by mikkowilson, December 16, 2012, 03:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The proposed date and location for AvatarMeet 2013 on July 25-28 in Washington DC...

The location is ok but I have a conflict with the date, I don't think I can make it.
9 (26.5%)
Isn't perfect, but I think I can make it work and hope to attend.
8 (23.5%)
The date works but the location doesn't, I don't think I can make it.
14 (41.2%)
The location is ok but I have a conflict with the date, I don't think I can make it.
0 (0%)
Neither the date or the location works for me.
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: January 01, 2013, 03:15:13 PM

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That is what I am hoping as well. Having AvatarMeet in DC is a big advantage for me. And so far, this is the only personal 'fun' trip planned this year that is 'holding together'.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

mikkowilson

Quote from: Tirea Aean on March 03, 2013, 03:16:30 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 03, 2013, 03:00:32 PM
Are you implying a venue change is in the works?

I hope what he means by "new city" is "new city with respect to the fact that Avatar Meet has only been in Seattle so far, which is what is familiar and so DC is considered a new city for Avatar Meet"
Yeah, this is what I meant.

DC is new to us.

We're looking into the possibility of a more Pandora-eqsue venue than downtown DC though...

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Well, the area inside the beltway could easily be described as a 'Pandora's Box'!  ;)

Yawey ngahu!

mikkowilson

Well, we're thinking outside the box then. :)

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Ikxeru

LOL...

anyway, how exact can I take the date of the meetup for granted as I have to organise a round trip and I have to convince my ikran of flying me over the ocean. (read: have to book flights).
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I love the new proposal, but I have some real reservations about making it work schedulewise. I love the camping part, but that creates big logistics problems for me because I use a CPAP machine at night. If tent camping, I have to either make arrangements for keeping a rather heavy battery charged, or have 'shore power' available nearby. This will probably ultimately restrict me to a cabin or more traditional housing, which is ke meoauniaea.

The length of the event is both a advantage and is problematic. The advantage is being able to have a few days to check out some of the DC sights-- especially the Air and Space museum (both parts!) and the National Zoo (where I plan to spend a least a whole day). I also have business in the DC area, and will be spending a day at the Library of Congress Media Archive facility in Culpepper, VA, (They have been twisting my arm-- hard!-- for several years to have come out and work for them. But I would have to give up my work with big cats to do that, and that is unthinkable to me.)

With limited vacation time available, and anther possible, unanticipated longer trip possible in June, I am not sure how I can make this all play out.

Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

I need more information, if at all possible. I want to know more about the camping trip. And also, hard dates.

Wiesel

I was a warrior who dreamed he could
bring peace. Sooner or later though, you
always have to wake up... - Jake Sully

...Wenn ich schlafe bin ich ein Avatar und rette Pandora...

Ikxeru

I defintly have to book flights very soon and I'll have to make arrangements to rent one of these unsuspicious-looking conspiracy-proved black vans again. Additionally, as much as I would like to camp in a tent...  but I'll fly over to the US for around six weeks and I don't know how to handle all that needed extra baggage stuff, even though for most time of the vacation I will have a rented car, but I plan to travel some days by train.

So I prefer the proposed lodge accomodation near the proposed camping site of the proposed meet-up location.

Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

After this week, it is appearing that I am going to have some business in the Washington area around the time of the meetup. I think we should very soon begin preparing something of a framework of when and where to meet, especially in the days prior to the actual meetup. The business I have will occupy about 2 days, then 1-2 days for the Air and Space museum, and at least one day for the National Zoo.

Yawey ngahu!