AvatarMeet 2013: Location and Date Proposal.

Started by mikkowilson, December 16, 2012, 03:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The proposed date and location for AvatarMeet 2013 on July 25-28 in Washington DC...

The location is ok but I have a conflict with the date, I don't think I can make it.
9 (26.5%)
Isn't perfect, but I think I can make it work and hope to attend.
8 (23.5%)
The date works but the location doesn't, I don't think I can make it.
14 (41.2%)
The location is ok but I have a conflict with the date, I don't think I can make it.
0 (0%)
Neither the date or the location works for me.
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: January 01, 2013, 03:15:13 PM

mikkowilson

AvatarMeet 2013: Location and Date Proposal.

Your AvatarMeet team have been taking a long hard look at where and when to hold the next meet up.  From the survey that was conducted post AvatarMeet 2012, there was an even split between east and west coasts of the US as a location.  We have considered following the Avatar Exhibition, which will be in Indianapolis next summer a well as places that provide links to the themes in Avatar and people's suggestions.  Another important factor is being close to a large population of Avatar fans and having good transport connectivity.  So taking into account feedback from both the survey and clan members, the proposal for 2013 is:

Proposed Location: Washington DC

Proposed Date: 25th - 28th July 2013

What's with the thinking?:

• Takes AvatarMeet to the east coast of the US to allow fans from that side the country the opportunity to meet
  • It is more accessible for people from across the Atlantic to join in the gathering.
  • Excellent transport links by rail, road and air both nationally and internationally.
  • All visitor attractions are in the same locality.
  • Theme link to Avatar 1:  Space and Flight Museum.
  • Theme link to Avatar 2:  National Museum of the American Indian.
  • Theme link to Avatar 3:  Botanical Garden.
  • Theme link to Avatar 4:  Washington Zoo.
  • The first three are all located next to each other, with Washington Zoo a short metro ride away.
  • The date avoids events like Comic-Con.
  • All the museums are free to visit
  • All the places of interest are in the same locality

AvatarMeet 2012 have the tag line "Uniting the Clans".  This was suggested by Zephania from Learn Na'vi and seemed very apt.  However, we would very much like to have a new tag line for the 2013 meet up.  Your planning team have tried hard...very hard...to come up with some ideas - 72 in total...some of which were maybe not quite Avatar related or repeatable! ;)  So having exhausted ourselves, we though why not go to the people who are our inspiration?  You!  So here is the challenge:

Come up with a tag line and post it below.  Ideally no more than three words, but this is not a strict rule.  Na'vi is acceptable, providing a translation is also provided.

So go at it.

Closing date is 31st December, after which the planning team will pick the five best and post them for a voting poll shortly after.

Your AvatarMeet Planning Team
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Eyrina Tirol

July in DC?  :o I want to remind everyone that the US capital was built on swampland and the humidity in the summer months can be brutal.

Also, are you planning on "in" DC or in one of the surrounding suburbs? DC can be very, very expensive. Would make the Seattle rates for the hotel seem very cheap indeed. (just recently booked rooms for the sales team for a show). The Metro also runs out to the burbs on the VA side.

Maweyatan

That would mean I could finally meet up with old buddies! :D

Ftiafpi

YUS! East Coast is the best coast (because I live on it and can thus make this).

Alan

Quote from: Eyrina Tirol on December 16, 2012, 04:10:06 PM
July in DC?  :o I want to remind everyone that the US capital was built on swampland and the humidity in the summer months can be brutal.

Also, are you planning on "in" DC or in one of the surrounding suburbs? DC can be very, very expensive. Would make the Seattle rates for the hotel seem very cheap indeed. (just recently booked rooms for the sales team for a show). The Metro also runs out to the burbs on the VA side.

Kaltxi Eyrina :)

I was in DC in July this year, and yes it was hot, but I wouldn't say brutal.  There weather was great, but then I was there only four days, just prior to the meet up in Seattle, having a minimeet up of Avatar friends from the Eastern Sea.

As for hotel prices, you'd be surprised then to find out that we have found a couple of hotels in DC which are actually cheaper than the one we stayed at in Seattle!  I stayed in one of them whilst I was in DC.  Both are within a few block of the Mall too and they aren't dumps either.

I must admit that surprised me, because if it was London, then there would be no way you would find somewhere cheaper than outside London...maybe a cardboard box?

Anyway, hope that adds a bit of clarification.

Alan

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

Oh my gosh that's awesome!! I am in washington dc on those exact 3 days on the way back to england from a scout trip!
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Niri Te

I lived in Arlington Virginia in the early sixties when my father was stationed at the Pentagon,  and the weather there is a crapshoot.  It all depends on if a system is moving through. When I lived there,  I spent the summer of 1963 In the Smithsonian. And the National Aquariium every day for a month,  as it was only a two hour bus ride from our house to the mall. I went Back in 1987, and not much with the exception of the then new IMAX Theater at the east end of the Air and Space Museum was evident.  Due to the absolute impossibility of flying a lightplane without Mode "C", a transponder,  encoder,  and a ton of prior written permissions in hand into the D.C. area,  coupled with the expence. Of going half way across the Country so close to the time that Ateyo and I will be flying our two aircraft up to the largest Airshow in the World in Oshkosh,  Wisconsin,  Ateyo. And I are going to have to sit this one out.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

guest2859

Up for it... hoping to have everything set up in the next few months to be out on my own so that would pose the only conflict, though I love traveling. I would like to see other proposals for other areas before I decide.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Tewti!I think Washington DC is a brilliant choice! There is so much I want to see and do there. There is the National Zoo, The Air and Space Museum (with the new annex at Dulles with a space shuttle), the National Cathedral, and other parts of the Smithsonian. I also have some friends out in Culpepper VA, who are involved with the Library of Congress media archives. They have been begging me to visit (or move there and help them with all their antique videotape machines). So, this takes care of this, too.

I am planning only two trips by air this year. The Worldcon Science Fiction Convention will most likely be one of these.  With this venue, Na'vicon has a very good chance of being the other one.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Sìkat

Count me in for this one, I can make it to DC fairly easily :)

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Maybe I can attend in 2013? Washington DC is a lot closer, and will be cheaper for me to travel

Zusupa Tanhì

:-\ I might be able to attend myself. I live only a few states away, after all. However, other plans (visiting soaia) might get in the way.
Stay your blade from the flesh of the innocent.
Always be discreet.
Do not compromise the Brotherhood.
~The Assassin's Creed

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

There is NO way I could attend if it was held there. It's far too expensive for me. :( Not to mention hotel money.  Looks like I get to miss this meet up, too.
To live in the past is to die in the present.

Zusupa Tanhì

Quote from: Tsamsiyu Atsteu on December 18, 2012, 05:44:39 PMThere is NO way I could attend if it was held there. It's far too expensive for me. :( Not to mention hotel money.  Looks like I get to miss this meet up, too.

Such a shame. I would've liked to meet you in person.
Always be discreet.
~The Assassin's Creed

Alan

Quote from: Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite on December 17, 2012, 01:20:59 AM
Oh my gosh that's awesome!! I am in washington dc on those exact 3 days on the way back to england from a scout trip!

Cool!  Well, I wonder if there is a Na'vi badge?  If not there should be!  Is it world Jamboree time?  I managed to make it to a World Sea Scout camp in the Netherlands..err...way back when...*cough, cough...  Anyway that would be great it you are able to drop in if we end up there.  We won't be hard to spot! ;)

Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 17, 2012, 08:31:27 AM
Up for it... hoping to have everything set up in the next few months to be out on my own so that would pose the only conflict, though I love traveling. I would like to see other proposals for other areas before I decide.

We have looked at a number of other places.  These included:

• Los Angeles - (West coast..but considered as a future option due to closeness to filming the Avatar 2, 3...4?)
  • Portland - (West coast and close to Seattle)
  • Indianapolis (Exhibition will be there, but a long way from other attractions, accommodation and we found
  • transport issues)
  • Flagstaff (A suggestion from a clan member, but considered difficult for many to get to for those travelling long distances.)
  • Jersey City (For the Exhibit - but too early in the year (ends in May) to organise properly and for people to attend.)
  • Florida (Too early for the Avatar World attraction.)
  • Boston (East Coast, but a bit remote for many to get to.)

However, none of the above matched the combined need to provide an easy to get to east coast location with pleanty of Avatar related venues to visit within easy reach for a large group.

Quote from: Tsamsiyu Atsteu on December 18, 2012, 05:44:39 PM
There is NO way I could attend if it was held there. It's far too expensive for me. :( Not to mention hotel money.  Looks like I get to miss this meet up, too.

That's a shame.  We have actually found two hotels that cost less than the place we stayed at in Seattle, and both are within walking distance of The Mall.  There's time to decide yet.   Some things might be a little more expensive, but that is off set by all the museums being FREE!  Once a decision is made, we'll work out the costs to give people an idea.  Hope that helps.

Alan

Swoka Swizaw

Come to San Diego, California. Give our hotels the business. They need it. :-P

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Tsamsiyu Atsteu on December 18, 2012, 05:44:39 PM
Very sad only.

Palulukan-Makto

Los Angeles and Portland works for me, but I am not sure about the other places. San Diego is a great place to have a meet up, since it's my home town :)
Oel ngati kameie

Avatar is the greatest movie of all time!!!

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid! Ignorant like a child!" - Neytiri

mikkowilson

The proposal here is to cater to all the folks on the east coast who couldn't make it west to Seattle the past 2 years. And I anticipate we'll be back out west pretty soon either way.

It's till only a proposal at this point though; so lets here more comments.

Also, any suggestions for the tagline?

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Zusupa Tanhì

Quote from: mikkowilson on December 20, 2012, 02:00:18 AMAlso, any suggestions for the tagline?

Umm..."Blueskins of the East?"

*sucks at suggesting names*
Always be discreet.
~The Assassin's Creed