Cosplay: when, where and how?

Started by Ikxeru, April 21, 2013, 06:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikxeru

Kaltxì ma frapo,

I'm overexcited to shake my blue striped txìm in the capital. But will this make sense? I mean, it is the "informal" pre-meet up - and I guess not all of us will come together there.
And we're going to the campsite after that - but I am asking myself if any cosplay in the National Park will work at all.
As I've decided to book a room in a lodge, I guess there will be a chance to paint. But I have to prepare at least half a day and I would miss precious meet-up time...

The other option would be to paint in Washington and drive to the campsite already painted and just finish/retouch there.
Any suggestions of how we can do that?

What weather is expected? I've read that it could be hot and humid. Normally, as you know, PAX can stay on for several days - but I fear any temperatures higher than 80F.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Ikxeru, of all the people at last summer's AvatarMeet, your 'skin' looked more realistic than anyone else's. Plus, it stayed on well. I know you used PAX paint. How does PAX affect sweating?

If I do decide to cosplay, I would like to work with you to do a good job.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Ikxeru

As PAX is a mixture of a medical prothecis adhesive plus acrylic paint, you tend to sweat a lot under it, if it gets too hot and too humid.
It is far from wearing a latex suit, which blocks sweating completly.  And then you quicly reach the point when you can't stand the itch any longer in the sun.

PAX, If temperatures are mild, you can wear it several days and even have a quick shower as it is quite water-resistant if applied carefully. The look is awesome, because it really looks and feels like your own skin.

I tend to paint everything of myself by myself, except for the lower back and txìm... But I can do it together with others and I like to help others as well!
But get prepared to see me in various - I swear unlewed - positions :D ( always fun, cheesy purring and hissing included! ;) ) in which one has to poise until the paint is powdered with make up powder to eliminate the strong adhesive effect of PAX. (And I have a lot of folds on my worn out body, which I have to stretch as long as there isn't any powder for not tacking together...) Every half an hour I tend to have a break for 5 minutes, because it ts quite exhausting painting yourself. I can paint nearly every part of my own bodyAnd aftwerward, you may want to add prothetics like nose and ears, and this is best done together with someone else, because sometimes my nerves can be raw after painting for at least five hours.

But what I wanted to ask is: Where will the action go on? In Washington itself or at the campsite? I would decide for ... well, both. :D

But I am unsure, because even if PAX is very resistant, it is no real skin, so when we want to go hiking, it could be quite unpleaant to stroll around... But if I look at this, I know I have to be painted in such an awesome landscape ...

Lower Doyles River Falls - Shenandoah National Park

Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

As I really don't have the body figure of a Na'vi ;) , I will probably do an 'avatar' outfit instead. I will paint just my head, arms/hands and legs/feet. I suspect this is much simpler than trying to do the whole body.

I think its the body powder that makes the pax paint look so good.

How much paint should I get for what I described above? How much more for full body? Any suggestions for vendors or colors?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

DJ Makto

Lower Doyles looks like an excellent place for a cosplay day photoshoot. Though, the cosplayers who will be in water based paints will have to take care not to get too close. ;)

From what has been discussed in the committee meetings about cosplay there will definitely be a day in Shenandoah for cosplay, we probably would have to share or commandeer someones lodge though for privacy/water in the painting process.

There are no formal plans at this point for cosplay in the pre-meetup in DC, although I would definitely be up for doing a cosplay there as well (I'm still undecided on whether I will make it to the pre-meet due to work considerations and attempts to go to San Diego Comic Con which occurs on the preceding weekend before the meetup.) Based on the stats collected so far there will be 7 cosplayers which is an excellent turn out with our current numbers.