Dates Official

Started by Sarah Noel, April 13, 2013, 11:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikxeru

Quote from: Ftiafpi on May 21, 2013, 11:00:51 PM
Just want to remind anyone (like myself) if you haven't booked hotel rooms or any accommodation that's not a flight you should do it now. We're almost exactly 2 months out and prices for things will be getting very expensive soon (if they haven't already).

Rates at the Harrington are still the same as in April - but I thought we would ask for some group discount. Mhhh... On the other hand, I guess we are not enough people, sooooo....
I will make a reservation. Now. They have an excellent painter's suite (lol, I don't know, if they know that they have, but I know :D)

Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Ikxeru, are you planning to kä eampin in DC proper?

I am a bit concerned about facilities to do this in Shennendoah National Park.

I am leaning more and more to the outlying hotel, as I save enough to almost cover a car rental. And it gives me some 'relax time' riding the train each day.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Ftiafpi

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 22, 2013, 03:33:04 PM
Ma Ikxeru, are you planning to kä eampin in DC proper?

I am a bit concerned about facilities to do this in Shennendoah National Park.

I am leaning more and more to the outlying hotel, as I save enough to almost cover a car rental. And it gives me some 'relax time' riding the train each day.

DC Subways are quite manageable but do take longer than driving and finding parking (which is very limited). Make sure your hotel has good reviews and isn't by a busy road (or at least isn't ground floor), super noisy. Make sure your hotel has easy access to a subway WITH A PARKING LOT. Often the subway stations near malls may look nice but many mall parking lots close after hours. If you have no car then find a hotel within reasonable walking distance.

Simply put, for the DC pre-meetup portion:
Outlying Hotel + Rental Car = Cheap and possibly easiest
DC Hotel = most expensive, very easy and best quality
Outlying hotel, no car = Cheapest but biggest pain in the txìm
Very outlying hotel = Much better rates, definitely will require a car
Camping or staying near the campsite = Cheaper than cheap, not for everyone though and you'll have a long drive into DC.

Ftiafpi

Also, watch out for hotels that charge for parking services if you are bringing a car. Often times they may look the cheapest but are really very expensive. Many hotels inside DC will have this problem.

Ikxeru

Well, I have made a reservation at the Harrington for us 3 now. (from Jul 21 thru 25) We'll take the deluxe family room which has two bathrooms - read: one bathroom and one painting room.  :D
As you see: We will arrive one day earlier so we can paint the whole day.

I'd like to avoid to paint at the campsite in SNP, as I want to enjoy every second there. (A full body painting session takes around 5 to 8 hrs to complete and is pretty exhausting - so one day would be lost)
At the national park I prefer lodge accomodation as well - even if I would so much want to sleep in the forest. But this is no good idea when painted and the weather condition is as it is proposed. (hot + humid)

When leaving Washington we want to rent a car and until now I have no idea where to stay. Ftiafpi opened a Hotel-thread now, and the Luray Hillside Motel looks very good.

I have no idea how the combination of hot and humid weather plus PAX-paint will turn out - maybe it is impossible to stay in make up all days, although I have long-term experience with staying in make-up for several days - but under mlld weather conditions.

Ooops, its 4:50 am - I guess I should get some sleep now. :o

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Ikxeru on May 22, 2013, 09:53:17 PM
Well, I have made a reservation at the Harrington for us 3 now. (from Jul 21 thru 25) We'll take the deluxe family room which has two bathrooms - read: one bathroom and one painting room.  :D
As you see: We will arrive one day earlier so we can paint the whole day.

I'd like to avoid to paint at the campsite in SNP, as I want to enjoy every second there. (A full body painting session takes around 5 to 8 hrs to complete and is pretty exhausting - so one day would be lost)
At the national park I prefer lodge accomodation as well - even if I would so much want to sleep in the forest. But this is no good idea when painted and the weather condition is as it is proposed. (hot + humid)

When leaving Washington we want to rent a car and until now I have no idea where to stay. Ftiafpi opened a Hotel-thread now, and the Luray Hillside Motel looks very good.

I have no idea how the combination of hot and humid weather plus PAX-paint will turn out - maybe it is impossible to stay in make up all days, although I have long-term experience with staying in make-up for several days - but under mlld weather conditions.

Ooops, its 4:50 am - I guess I should get some sleep now. :o

I wouldn't sacrifice comfort for staying in Cosplay. Also, not sure how well your paint will holdup without regular maintenance, especially if we'll be doing lots of hiking and outdoors activities. Still, sounds like it would be fun to try. Can you take showers with PAX paint?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

If I can get a roommate, this makes staying in DC without a car a good value. Otherwise, I am looking now at getting a place in Fredricksburg and renting a car. I could 'park and ride' on the DC metro, or take the train into DC. The biggest disadvantage to this approach is not being able to participate in any evening activities. Cosplay would also pretty much be out of the question.

A hybrid approach is to stay in Fredricksburg Saturday (when I arrive) through Monday. I might drive into DC Saturday or (especially) Sunday. On Monday, I would do my business in Culpepper, VA (Library of Congress Media Archives), and then drop my stuff off at the DC hotel. I would return the rental car to either airport (Regan preferred) and take the Metro back to the hotel. I could then participate fully in activities Monday night through Thursday morning. On Thirsday, I would take the Metro to Regan, rent a car, drive to the hotel, check out and then drive to Shennendoah National Park. I would then drive to the airport on Monday and fly out. I could likely accommodate riders. This arrangement would also possibly allow some cosplay. (Cosplay is optional for me, based on what logistics problems I run into).

If I stay in DC the entire time (best advantage, most expensive), I would rent a 'zip car' to drive to Culpepper for my business there (or if I am exceptionally lucky, have a friend who will be in the area at the same time, and visiting the same place take me there and back). I am also hoping to visit PBS's Network Operations Center sometime while I am there. Cosplay is possible in this scenario. But it is all dependent on a roommate to share costs with.

Yawey ngahu!

DJ Makto

Quick update for everyone: We are in the process of creating a rough schedule of events. Stay tuned folks..

As for cosplay we really don't have any specifics guidelines as it will vary from person to person. Personally I am trying to map out various scenarios ranging from being able to "borrow" someones hotel bathroom to calculating how many much water I would need in containers to just paint up in my tent. I will confer with Sarah and see if we can come up with some suggestions for logistics. But for cosplay it might be every tute for themselves.

In regards to the DC meetup we have no official hotel setup, I'm set to room in a hotel near the airport.

@'Eylan: I think Raiden is looking for a roommate in DC let me know if you are still looking and I can try to put you two in contact with each other.

Wiesel

about time to wake up :D!
its not much time left :p
I was a warrior who dreamed he could
bring peace. Sooner or later though, you
always have to wake up... - Jake Sully

...Wenn ich schlafe bin ich ein Avatar und rette Pandora...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I think Raiden would be a good roommate, as we have a common interest in zoology. Put me in touch!

Yawey ngahu!

Blue Elf

I will not go to meeting personally because of time and distance, but instead I've sent my (plushy) assistant there.
So ask Ikxeru to show him to you all, if he forget ;D.
I've also sent another voyager, but I'm afraid he do not arrive this time, but next year he could be sucessful (http://coord.info/TB3YKY4). He traveled a lot, but returned to my country again.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

He'll get to meet many of his plushy friends in DC, as well!

Yawey ngahu!

Ikxeru

@Blue Elf: The Ikran is ready to fly. I nearly can't hold him any longer...   He's at least as excited to start as myself.

N/B: If I am as shy to speak as last year: do me a favour and kick my txìm really hard.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Ikxeru on June 26, 2013, 05:55:52 PM
@Blue Elf: The Ikran is ready to fly. I nearly can't hold him any longer...   He's at least as excited to start as myself.

N/B: If I am as shy to speak as last year: do me a favour and kick my txìm really hard.

Shy? You were great last year! And a whole new zoo to explore!

Yawey ngahu!

Blue Elf

Good to hear this :) do not forget to take photo with him and show here!
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Alan

Sorry to hear you can't make it Blue.  You'll have to make sure you can make it to the one next year.

Mr Ikran will be in good company ;)

Ikxeru, you were great last year!  No txim kicking required.

Alan

Wiesel

i will execute that duty  :P
I was a warrior who dreamed he could
bring peace. Sooner or later though, you
always have to wake up... - Jake Sully

...Wenn ich schlafe bin ich ein Avatar und rette Pandora...