Dates Official

Started by Sarah Noel, April 13, 2013, 11:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Noel

AvatarMeet 2013 Washington DC dates official:
Informal Pre-Meet: Monday July 22nd - Thursday July 25th
Group Camp: Thursday July 25th - Monday July 29th

Spread the word! Book your tickets! Yay!

Ikxeru

TEWTI!

Is the suggested Harrington Hotel the official location? And: will we get a group discount?
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Sarah Noel

Hotel Harrington is a suggested hotel for the PreMeet July 22-25, we are still negotiating possible group discount prices for the Official Meet lodgings in Shenandoah National Park July 25-29th, and as such have not released booking information yet for those who choose not to camp. If you choose to camp at the group site in Shenandoah, you can reserve a spot by updating your profile on AvatarMeet.com.

Ftiafpi

Do we have an official list  of people attending?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I now have the time off for this event. I will be there for the premeet as well as the meetup, but I am not sure how the premeet will work out. A frined of mine who lives in the DC area, and commutes there frequently has given me some ideas on how to plan this trip and keep the costs down. It may involve staying in Fredricksburg and taking the train into DC each day.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Ikxeru

Quote from: Ftiafpi on April 18, 2013, 10:44:56 AM
Do we have an official list  of people attending?

It is on www.avatarmeet.com in the roll call section.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Wiesel

just as an info, 3 na'vi have booked their flight from Germany!

And beware!
We will come and we will have fun, with or without you!

So better get your butt lifted up and organize your travel, NOW!!!
I was a warrior who dreamed he could
bring peace. Sooner or later though, you
always have to wake up... - Jake Sully

...Wenn ich schlafe bin ich ein Avatar und rette Pandora...

Ftiafpi

Well, I've decided to take the plunge. I was really on the fence but I honestly cannot pass up a chance like this. I'll be there. :)

Gotta brush up on my Na'vi now... :P

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

It will be a pleasure to finally meet you, ma ftiafpi! You were probably the first member I remember well (along with Omängum Fra'uti) from those early days.

I need to get my travel plans going. Too many other things are interfering right now. And we can't let those German sute overrun the place...

Yawey ngahu!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 28, 2013, 09:27:39 PM
It will be a pleasure to finally meet you, ma ftiafpi! You were probably the first member I remember well (along with Omängum Fra'uti) from those early days.

I need to get my travel plans going. Too many other things are interfering right now. And we can't let those German sute overrun the place...

:) It will be a pleasure to finally meet you as well.

Ikxeru

And we can't let those German sute overrun the place...
*giggles*   Flights are already booked ...   :)

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Ikxeru on April 29, 2013, 07:32:29 AM
And we can't let those German sute overrun the place...
*giggles*   Flights are already booked ...   :)

Ma Ikxeru, if I may ask, what airport are you flying into. There are four choices in the greater Washington area.

Yawey ngahu!

Wiesel

NY JFK, because we will come a week earlier and want to do some sightseeing ;)

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Wiesel on May 01, 2013, 07:49:32 AM
NY JFK, because we will come a week earlier and want to do some sightseeing ;)

I highly recommend you check out the Bronx botanical gardens if you can make it up there. Closest place to Pandora you will probably ever find. Simply beautiful.

Wiesel

cool, i will put it on the list ;)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Of course, the Bronx Zoo is a good place, too. I know you and Ikxeru like zoos :) Just don't jump in with the tigers, like one guy did last year...

At some point, we should all look at planning out 'organized'  impromptu activities for DC.

Yawey ngahu!

Raiden

The Bronx zoo is too far away from this event for me, but I would like to go there to meet Frank Indiviglio, who is a nationally renowned chelonian conservationist, and was/is responsible for the management of the reptile exhibits.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Raiden on May 07, 2013, 05:25:34 PM
The Bronx zoo is too far away from this event for me, but I would like to go there to meet Frank Indiviglio, who is a nationally renowned chelonian conservationist, and was/is responsible for the management of the reptile exhibits.

Ma Raiden, I don't know if you are planning to go to DC or not, but the National Zoo has a wonderful gift shop. besides the usual 'touristy' type stuff, they have a 'technical book' section with books on serious zooology topics. Someone like you, who is seriously into zoology will have a field day there! The National Zoo also has a rather impressive insectorium.

My own plans for DC are now in doubt, as I may have to stay closer in town due to some (unwanted) major changes happening at our zoo. It will be several weeks before I will know for sure :(

Yawey ngahu!

Ftiafpi

Just want to remind anyone (like myself) if you haven't booked hotel rooms or any accommodation that's not a flight you should do it now. We're almost exactly 2 months out and prices for things will be getting very expensive soon (if they haven't already).

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

What I am wondering is how to handle the bookings. I will be in the DC area from Saturday, July 20th through the day we all go out to Shennadoah National Park. I have some business in DC as well as wanting to join the group for informal tours, etc. I am giving some thought to staying in Fredricksburg, which is closer to where I will be driving around to, and taking the train into DC each day Mon-Wed. This may save a lot of hotel money, but I am not sure how much yet. I would entertain a roomate in Fredricksburg as well. Sharing a room does not mean we have to also have common activities, although i suspect there are only 1-2 trains into/out of DC each day.

Staying in DC proper keeps one much closer to the 'action', and I might be able to get a better rate through the flight I booked. But even so, it will be more expensive, and having a car will be more problematic. I understand driving is a pain in DC and using mass transit is much easier (not to mention more meaouniaea ;)  ) I am hoping we can do roommates in DC, but having a room to myself is definitely not a deal-breaker (in Fredricksburg, etiher). But as you said, a decision on how to plan this needs to be made soon.

Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Yawey ngahu!