Hotels

Started by Ftiafpi, May 22, 2013, 08:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftiafpi

Post the hotel (or other accommodations) you're staying at here. This way we can find the best deals for everyone and make sure that people get the best hotel for their needs. Bonus is that nobody will likely have to travel alone this way.

Keep in mind that a hotel for the pre-meet in DC is going to be over an hour away from the campsite and the hotels will be much cheaper near the campsite.

Ftiafpi

As I'm bringing my car I was planning on staying out near the campground. Here's some hotels I'm considering for the regular AvatarMeet part:

http://02e8005.netsolhost.com/home.html (Probably too far away from the campsite)
http://www.lurayhillsidemotel.com/ 45 minutes from the campsite, not bad.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

A few basic questions for all attending the pre-meetup: Are you staying in DC or outside of DC? If in DC, are you staying at the 'official' hotel or some other hotel? Or are most of you not attending the pre-meetup?

Answers to these questions will help both me and others in trying to plan this trip.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

DJ Makto

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 31, 2013, 01:57:37 AM
A few basic questions for all attending the pre-meetup: Are you staying in DC or outside of DC? If in DC, are you staying at the 'official' hotel or some other hotel? Or are most of you not attending the pre-meetup?

Answers to these questions will help both me and others in trying to plan this trip.

I myself am staying near the airport (Reagan), not sure which as Mikko is doing the booking. There are not enough of us to get a discount at any of the hotels, so its more or less every tute for themselves. The airport area though is substantially cheaper and can easily access the rest of DC via metro.

Ftiafpi

I will not be at the pre-meetup, so no hotel for me.

Vawmataw

Sorry for getting in your discussion. Why not look at hotels.com?
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

DJ Makto

I'll chime in again on hotels in DC, while there are no "official" hotel, most of the folks (that I have talked to) that are going to the pre-meet seem to be mostly booking at the Holiday Inn at National Airport. Incidentally the hotels near Regan airport are among the cheapest and for the most part have easy metro access to the rest of DC. So if you are looking to hang out and get the cheapest hotel costs the airport looks like a good bet.

Again that is my nonofficial $.02 on the hotel situation in DC.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Kameyu a Kepekmì on June 02, 2013, 07:23:56 AM

Uh,  what?

Vawmataw

Quote from: Ftiafpi on June 02, 2013, 04:55:55 PM
Quote from: Kameyu a Kepekmì on June 02, 2013, 07:23:56 AM

Uh,  what?
Are you searching an hotel, if I read the first post?
hotels.com might be a good website.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

irayo, ma Kameyu! I did use Hotels.com to do a little snooping around, and found what DJ Makto reported: That hotels near Washington National had the best rates in the area (In my experience, it is unusual for airport hotels to have the best rates). However, I used that as a guide and ultimately booked direct with the hotel. I found a nonrefundable rate at the nearby (about 2000 feet) Courtyard Marriott Crystal City that was considerably less expensive ($90/night before taxes), had double full-size beds and a stable rate per night. It also does not have surcharges for everything and free in-room wi-fi. It was by far the best deal I have found, and may ultimately limit my car rental needs to just one day (before the Shennendoah portion). I have a place for a roommate (Raiden?) as well.

This is a major step towards 'taming' this so far difficult-to-plan vacation!

I also just learned that a spacecraft I saw in storage in the George Eastman House apparatus archives many years ago is now on display at the Air and Space museum. This trip arrangement gives me almost two full days more of museum exploration!

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 02, 2013, 06:46:15 PM
irayo, ma Kameyu!
You're welcome.  :D ;) It's a pleasure to help people for AvatarMeet.

DJ Makto

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 02, 2013, 06:46:15 PM
irayo, ma Kameyu! I did use Hotels.com to do a little snooping around, and found what DJ Makto reported: That hotels near Washington National had the best rates in the area (In my experience, it is unusual for airport hotels to have the best rates). However, I used that as a guide and ultimately booked direct with the hotel. I found a nonrefundable rate at the nearby (about 2000 feet) Courtyard Marriott Crystal City that was considerably less expensive ($90/night before taxes), had double full-size beds and a stable rate per night. It also does not have surcharges for everything and free in-room wi-fi. It was by far the best deal I have found, and may ultimately limit my car rental needs to just one day (before the Shennendoah portion). I have a place for a roommate (Raiden?) as well.

This is a major step towards 'taming' this so far difficult-to-plan vacation!

I also just learned that a satellite I saw in storage in the George Eastman House apparatus archives many years ago is now on display at the Air and Space museum. This trip arrangement gives me almost two full days more of museum exploration!

I see the Courtyard Mariott for $79 on Kayak (tends to have better prices as they search more locations than hotels.com).

mikkowilson

While there is no official hotel for the Pre-meet (there are folks booked at a few I know of); the official hotel at Shenandoah is now available for booking: http://www.avatarmeet.com/?m=4&s=5

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Still looking for a roommate, both for DC and for Shennendoah!

Yawey ngahu!

Ikxeru

Txantsan, ma Mikxo!!! YAY!
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Toruk Makto

I have all my reservations done. I will have a rental SUV leaving from Dulles at 3:30PM on the 25th for Big Meadows Lodge and will be returning to Dulles on the 29th to arrive there at 5:00PM.  Right now it is just me, so I can take 3 more comfortably, or 4 more cozily. Contributions to the rental cost are welcome, but not required.  I am not planning to share a room at the lodge, so just offering transportation.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I have made a big change in my plans. I will be camping! Considering the very high cost of lodging in Shennendoah National Park, I found I was better able to put my money into a compact solar recharging system to power my CPAP machine. I still have enough left over to purchase a smaller (=shippable) tent, sleeping pad/bag, and some other minor accessories. I may ship a suitable gel cell battery out with me to use, or I may purchase one locally and sell/give it to anyone in attendance who can make use of a 28 AH (approximately) sealed lead acid battery (shipping costs are about the same as a new battery). If you are interested in a cheap gel cell, let me know ASAP.

I have a vehicle for the entire trip. I will be coming from the Washington Reagan area (where a bunch of folk are staying) on Thursday, and returning to Washington Dulles on Monday. My flight out is late enough that I have some capacity to drop people off at Reagan, if need be. I will need to find a shipping store to ship my camping gear back, as it is too much to take on an aircraft and avoid excessive baggage fees.

Yawey ngahu!