HOW UGLY is the weather in D.C. ma eylan?

Started by Niri Te, July 19, 2013, 05:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niri Te

I just got THIS off the Weather channel that I subscribe to Ma eylan, is it true? Here in far west texas, we have a rare weather situation, with a huge low pressure system and back door cold front that has kept us under cloudy skies with drizzle or light rain for the last four days. Our temperatures have rainged between mid seventies to low eighties, defenitely NOT typical weather for us here. Is what I pasted below TRUE for you guys at the meetup??

On Thursday, every state except for Alaska soared to 90 degrees or higher.

The East, enduring its fourth heat wave of the summer, felt temperatures well into the 90s with RealFeel® temperatures of 105 to 110 degrees in Washington, D.C., and New York City.

Major cities have braced for typical urban heat dilemmas such as power outages and mass transit delays.

During heat waves, power loss is common as energy usage skyrockets with cranked up air conditioners, constantly running ceiling and oscillating fans and appliances like refrigerators and freezers working harder to stay cool.

Downtown urban areas often suffer the worst as they lack permeable surfaces such as open land and vegetation and are instead plagued by concrete and infrastructure. This creates a phenomenon called an urban heat island effect.

The annual mean air temperature of a city with one million people or more can be anywhere from 1.8 degrees to 5.4 degrees F warmer than its surroundings, the EPA reports.
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Alan

Well, it seems Monday in DC might be a bit cooler down to 27C and then promptly warming up again to 32C. Nice -not!  It's been mega hot over here in the UK as the jet stream has moved north and so we are having temperatures into the high twenties and low thirties.  Way hotter than normal.  The only form of air conditioning we have is opening the window!  Hehehe.

Hopefully it will be cooler wayyyyy up in the mountains...

Alan

mikkowilson

Why am I traveling in jeans?

(Because shorts weigh less in my suitcase  ;) )

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Niri Te

Stay "In Character" and wear loincloths. ;-) ;-)

Alan

Quote from: mikkowilson on July 20, 2013, 10:09:15 AM
Why am I traveling in jeans?

(Because shorts weigh less in my suitcase  ;) )

- Mikko

Are they blue jeans?  ;) ...  ;D

Taronyu Leleioae

mikkowilson

Nope. Black. Of course. :)

- Mikko ... doesn't drink beer.
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

Sìkat

I don't know about the weather in D.C., but I can say that the weather in upstate New York over the past week has been simply horrendous -- extremely hot and humid.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I am now in DC, and it is indeed stifling hot here. I was at the Dulles Airport of the Air and Space museum much of the day. When I came out, the heat and humidity hit me like a ton of bricks. Living in the desert west, I am not used to this kind of humidity! (We are having a heat wave in Reno, as well.)

I knew it got really hot today, because a bag of M&M's that was in the car 'melted'!

Later in the day, there was an intense but shot-lived thunderstorm out near Dulles.

This will be a challenge to deal with next week, if it stays this warm. I brought bluejeans, but I also brought a kilt, which should be a lot cooler (but perhaps invite more ticks). Those that intend to do 'full cosplay' should have an easier time of us than us clothed hetowong.

Ma Niri Te, you would have filled your pants at the Dulles Air and Space museum. I might even go back for half a day. I will post some pictures as part of my blog/report (I took 700+ pictures there!)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Niri Te

From 1963 to 1965, we lived in north Arlington, while my father worked at NAVSECSTA, DCA, and the Pentagon. For one year, the Arlington School System expelled me for doing things like having the current issue of "Aviation Week and Space Technology" behind my textbook, getting caught, and dared to "Teach the infantile class on "How an airplane flies". ( At 14, I was taking FLIGHT INSTRUCTION at the time). I called his bluff on it,said "SURE" walked up, took the chalk from him, and threw Boyle's gas laws, and Bernoulli's fluid dynamics equations up on the blackboard. I then look at the class and asked, "Do ANY of you understand what I just put up here?" THEN I looked at the teacher, and said, Do YOU?" As I walked back to my seat, I said, "If you want me to pay attention, then TEACH me something that I didn't learn years ago".
  As a result of that incident, I was thrown out of school for being a "Disruptive influence". What did we do" I was given ten dollars a day, and I caught the local bus, changing buses in Clarendon for the ride over the Francis Scott Key Bridge to The Smithsonian, where I would spend eight hours a day, five days a week at all the different Museums, with NO ONE telling that I was too young to learn that, or I wasn't ready for it. I learned more that one year, than I EVER did in a single school year before or since. No, my friend, I may have Aphasia, and be a TOTAL DOLT when it comes to learning Na'vi due to the coma, but I can "Play" with Science, like a toy.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I ended up helping teach my High School Electronics III class TV repair along with another guy. And our idea of fun on a Friday night was modifying a CB to transmit out of band, or changing the CRT in a TV set. We goofed off in class but not in a way that got us expelled. (I got into more trouble inadvertently taking a can of soda out of the school commons than anything else we did in school!). And I read more books during boring lectures than at just about any other time. My friends' parents owned the local airport, but the flying bug never bit. But they had enough money that they had an Ohio Scientific C3P computer, which in those days was like having a mini mainframe. His parents used it for business, we used it to plat 'star trek in the evening.

So, you have undoubtedly seen much of what is in that sästarsìm many times. I would probably be a volunteer there (or at one of the Smithsonian museums, or the zoo. The volunteers get the 'interesting jobs' at places like that!) if I lived in the DC area.

Yawey ngahu!

mikkowilson

I've been before, but yeah, I think I need to hit up the Dulles A&SM this week also. Perhaps tomorrow.

I've learned a lot more teaching than in did in many of classes as a student.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Mikko, I wish I  could take you with me to Culpeper tomorrow, but I don't think I can invite anyone for this particular tour.

The other thing I might try to arrange is a tour of PBS NOC (If our ability to arrange some Avatar group activities in DC falls apart). I think you indicated you have some PBS background, didn't you?

Yawey ngahu!

mikkowilson

A PBS NOC tour would be awesome.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

It turns out that PBS NOC is just a few blocks from my hotel, and I walk right past it to get to the Metro station! I did not plan things this way; they just happened!

Yawey ngahu!