Started by Alan, June 30, 2014, 02:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Quote from: Niri Te on July 07, 2014, 11:00:20 AM
  I hope that you are having a great time, Alan.

Irayo ma tsmuke.  So far so good.  Had a really great day yesterday...

Quote from: Ikxeru on July 07, 2014, 07:25:16 PM
Around 12 hrs to go until Palulukanä Tarontu and I will hop on our ikrans and fly west, west, west, as fast as the winds can carry us.
See you so soon!

Txantsan!  Safe and enjoyable flight ma tsmukan.  Oel ngati kameie soon!

Yesterday Ghaziya, CyanRachel and I were in full tourist mode!  We climbed aboard a tourist bus that took us to places and dropped us off for an hour before continuing on to the next destination.  The tour lasted a full 8 hours and was great value from money at $55 each.

It was an open sided bus which was something new to me but it was great.  The three of us sat at the back, which where the trouble makers always sit!  Hehehe.  Surprisingly, even though it was blue skies it felt a bit cold to begin with - and that's from a Brit who's used to 'cool'!

Our first stop was Venice Beach.  Although it was flat, there was plenty of scenery to look at, if you know what I mean ;).  It was quite busy and there were scar boarders doing there thing and a good array of stalls.  Ghaziya bought a bag...and then called me over as she was from Wolverhampton, near Birmingham, not far from where I come from.  Small world!

The next stop was Santa Monica bleach and more 'scenery' ;). We took a walking down the pier/board walk and stepped foot on the beach, just to say I'd been there.  Ghaziya ended up chatting to a Latino bloke and trying out her Spannish.  It was then back onto the bust to the next pit stop - Beverly Hills' shopping centre.

There were loads of shops showing fancy stuff, with fancy names, but no prices on things for some reason.  You could tell how expensive the shops were as there were like a single clothes rail in one shop, a single pair of shoes and about five handbags, with loads of space around everything!  We saw two fancy Rolls-Royces and a Bently, plus a sports car thingy the people were hanging around taking piccies.  Interesting experience, but at the end of the day, they still have to have a poo like the rest of us!  Hehehe.

After sampling Beverly Hills, which was very nicely kept, we made it to the historical farmers market, where we were able to have a bit to eat.  There was a sweet shop, that we visited too and ended up treating ourselves.  I know where to get pineapples now as well ;)

The last stop was Hollywood Boulevard along the walk of fame.  We went past the Chinese theatre and also the Dobly Theatre.  Would have been great to visit them.  Maybe another day as we were on a mission!  We were looking for a certain star.  Along the way we saw the foot and hand prints of the stars.  I was able to stand in Steve Speilbergh's footprints.  Not sure if any of his film making brilliance rubbed off on me!  There was also a shed load of cosplayers doing there thing and having photos taken.  However, we could not find the star we were lolling for.  So we headed back.  We had just enough time to visit a CVS store and that was when we spotted the star we were really looking for - Sigourney's Weaver!  And here's the proof:

http://flic.kr/p/ofguQ6

So now we know where to go if we want to so a clan photo with Sigourney's walk of fame star!

Alan

Alan

As for what we got upto yesterday, well it was rather quiet.  I think we were just waiting for AvatarMeet to start. Ghaziya and CyanRachel had some tsmuke time whilst I went exploring the metro system for a bit.

People have started arriving though.  Mr Avatar and his daughter arrive having driven all the way from Canada!  Also Ikxeru sì Palulukanä Tanrontu arrived from Germany.

And so the gathering begins...

Safe journeys everyone. :nhi:

Alan

Tirea Aean

I arrived at LAX, went to Budget to rent my car, and found that the lot is RIGHT AT the Four Points Hotel, where we are all to stay. Convenience win +1

then I make the Northbound trip to the Sequoia National Park. Once inside, I see some AMAZING natural beauty like I've never seen before. It was nothing short of fantastic. One does NOT come across these types of sights in the East. Canyons, Mountains, Trees.. Deep browns and oranges, lush green forests.

I took the very scenic route to get to the group campsite. SO much winding around mountains, reaching elevations of over 7000 ft. Then finally down to the campsite where two guys were waiting for me. (TrueLoveForNeytiri, Raiden and Aketuan, IIRC?)

Camping was a massive success. I make this update now, because once inside the Park, there was NO cell service to speak of. No WiFi, or power of any kind. Which actually was quite refreshing. I took a really nice break from being glued to my computer screen.

Then came `Eylan Ayfalulukanä (who has absolutely bent over backwards for me to make my attendence of this event possible) and Sìkat. Hours later, Mikko, Eltu, Ekirä, and Sarah. We expected SightUnseen to come the next morning, but he didn't come until way into the middle of the night.

Once everyone arrived, much great sightseeing, hiking, discussion, and hanging out ensued. The food was outstanding, well planned and executed by all involved.

I brought my Djembe drum along and played some here and there, and offered others to give it a try. People seemed to like it.

While the others were hiking, I stayed behind with `Eylan, Sìkat, SightUnseen, and Sarah and talked about the language and related things while every now and again Tech-related things came up. Turns out we have people with such expansive knowledge of several types of tech, especially Computers, networks, and Broadcasting equipment.. And then there's always Raiden with his endless Biology knowledge.

And now that I've come down from camping this morning, I returned the rental car and walked across the street to the hotel and there sat several people (probably only about a third of us all) discussing and chatting. I sat aside to catch up with my lovely mate. Then my phone died. As I wait for Sìkat and `Eylan to get here, I figured I'd write here. Since many of the people went to their rooms to get unpacked and situated.

Hayalovay

Alan

Well AvatarMeet is finally underway - YAY!

Members of the meet up began to arrive throughout the day.  They were ably welcomed by Ghaziya and CyanRachel.  Gradually the hotel lobby began to fill with Na'vi and Avatar T-shirts. Those who had been camping began to arrive and before long there was a gaggle of planning team members who then disappeared to sort out some last minute bits and bobs.

Soon enough 6 o'clock came around and the welcome event got underway.  The attendees handed in their NDAs and in return the badges, MeetUp Survival Guides and T-Shirts were handed out.

As people began to arrive the room slowly filled to the sound of friendships being renewed and new ones being made. Some people had not met for two years for others it was there first time.

Shortly after 7 PM the meet up was called. To order and everyone took there places for the planning team to run through the events list.  Major emphasis was put on the importance of the Non-Disclosure Agreement that everyone had signed.  This was going to be the first time a studio will have let 'fans' through the door and what happens on the visit will determine if future visits will take place for any fan group.  That is how important it is. So those reading this thread please don't ask what went on as nobody is allowed to tell.

Other topics covered during the brief presentation included cosplay activities, visiting LA, a gracious invitation to Karyu Pawl and John's place for a clan meal, Na'vi class 103 and volunteering at Madrona Marsh.  To round off the presentation BodyBuilderMatt, Spock42 and Wind12 were called up as their birthdays fell during the meet up.  They were presented with a cake with an Avatar picture printed on top.  I thnk it was a bit of a surprise for them. 

Oh course, we all had to sing happy birthday to them and it was suggested we do it in Na'vi.   Unfortunately that might have taken a wee bit too long to practice so, with a little prior consultation with Karyu Pawl, instead of singing each of there names we sang "ma pxesmuk".  It sort of worked!  HAHAHAHA.  But it was great to do and we all got some cake to eat!  Om, yom, yom.

With the presentation complete it was time for a clan photo - one of many no doubt - before everyone was left to mingle together for the rest of the evening.

Alan

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 09, 2014, 06:37:04 PM
Camping was a massive success. I make this update now, because once inside the Park, there was NO cell service to speak of. No WiFi, or power of any kind. Which actually was quite refreshing. I took a really nice break from being glued to my computer screen.
The same would happen on Pandora too. ;D

Quote from: Alan on July 10, 2014, 09:22:25 AM
Shortly after 7 PM the meet up was called. To order and everyone took there places for the planning team to run through the events list.  Major emphasis was put on the importance of the Non-Disclosure Agreement that everyone had signed.  This was going to be the first time a studio will have let 'fans' through the door and what happens on the visit will determine if future visits will take place for any fan group.  That is how important it is. So those reading this thread please don't ask what went on as nobody is allowed to tell.
I'm so jealous... Maybe, one day I will be able to visit that mysterious, awesome and nice place. :) I hope you guys had much fun there.
*looking for the group photo(s)*

Other topics covered during the brief presentation included cosplay activities, visiting LA, a gracious invitation to Karyu Pawl and John's place for a clan meal, Na'vi class 103 and volunteering at Madrona Marsh.  To round off the presentation BodyBuilderMatt, Spock42 and Wind12 were called up as their birthdays fell during the meet up.  They were presented with a cake with an Avatar picture printed on top.  I thnk it was a bit of a surprise for them.
Can't wait for photos and videos of that. :)

Oh course, we all had to sing happy birthday to them and it was suggested we do it in Na'vi.   Unfortunately that might have taken a wee bit too long to practice so, with a little prior consultation with Karyu Pawl, instead of singing each of there names we sang "ma pxesmuk".  It sort of worked!  HAHAHAHA.  But it was great to do and we all got some cake to eat!  Om, yom, yom.
HRH! Ftxozäri aylrrtok pxengaru, ma pxesmuk! :D
*rerol*
Ngari solalew zìsìt a<insert their age nìNa'vi>!
Frafpom (ay)ngari, ma <insert their name>!
;D :D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Alan

Well, Thursday was the big day - the visit to Lightstorm.  We all assembled in the hotel lobby just before 10:00.  Ikxeru, Sarah, BodyBuilderMatt and DJ Makto were our cosplay Na'vi and after a few photo calls at the hotel from the public we got on our Ikrans to Lightstorm.

Of course we are all under NDAs and limited in what can be fed out, but as a brief summary of what the day entailed:  We were split into three groups and given a tour of the studio.  Lunch was provided after which there was a panel discussion.  Following a group photo, it was announced that they would screen Avatar for us.  As you can imagine there was much cheering at this point.

Before the screening of Avatar, we presented a Lightstorm with a banner that was a composite of as many Avatar fans as we have pictures of with a brief tag line in Na'vi.  There were two of them; one for their Studios in the US and one for New Zealand.

Below in a link to (a not quite complete version) copy of the banner that was presented to Lightstorm.  The banners measured 3 x 6 feet and it looks like they will be hung in the performance capture studio.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?t791b3br88y9757

As you can imagine everyone was dumbstruck by the amazing experience that Lightstorm had given us.  "Irayo nìtxan" seems some how inadequate to convey our appreciation to their amazing staff.

Obviously we are all under Non-disclosure agreements, however, photos and video were taken and over time these will be released.  What I can say is that Lightstorm appreciate us as much as we appreciate them and what they do for us.  That was very much the feeling during our 'outstanding' visit there.

This is an important relationship that has been, and continues to be, built over time and every one of us has a part to play in maintaining and developing that relationship.

Alan

Alan

Well, yesterday was cosplay and also a bit of a free day for everyone.  As the cosplayers arrived more and more photographs were taken.  They looked txantsan!

A group went to visit the beach to do some tide pooling.  On arrival at the beach, though, a film unit had closed off the beach!  Well,  this is 'Hollywood'!  But that didn't stop them and they were able to find anoth beach.  Amongst the many creatures that our resident botonist identified, was a dead sea slug!

Another goup found themselves at the science museum...with a load of screening kids!  Hehehe.  It was worth going though and Ty gave us a 'private guided tour' of the space exhibits.  The main highlight of the trip was seeing the space shuttle Endevour.  Some of us had a group photo together there.

The main event on the day was the open house at Paul and John's who had graciously invited everyone round to their home home.  This was quality clan chill out time and our wonderful hosts provided food for everyone.  It was all vegan and it tasted wonderful!

Karyu Pawl gave everyone a Na'vi refresher from Class 101 and 102 in preparation for Class 103.  It was all informal and great fun.  After the class there was a raffle for three signed copies of Paul's Language Work.  These were won by Mikko, Ikxeru and True.  The was also some Avatar memorabilia that was won by . And finally a welcome banner that was made by Paul and John.  This was won by Aketuan.  John presents yes everyone who didn't have one, a special Na'vi button that he and Prrton had designed.

To round off Markì presented Paul and John with photo collage portraits and a 'irayo nìtxan' for all that they do for the community and letting all of us into their home.

The rest of the evening was spent watching a film called Senn that had been made by Prrton and his husband Josh.  It was a thought provoking film and also included a number of members from the Avatar community.  Although the film was nothing to do with Avatar.  After the film, Prrton brought Josh on-line via Skype for a question and answer session.

After many irayos to our hosts everyone gradually made their way back to the hotel to fit in some rest for Na'vi class 103.

Alan

Plumps

Fkan lor nìtxan nìwotx nang!
Leiu oeru fmokx atxaaaan a ke tsun tivok oel tsatsengit
;)

Sounds absolutely exciting!
Soooo jealous that I can't be there ;)

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Plumps on July 13, 2014, 06:14:45 AM
Fkan lor nìtxan nìwotx nang!
Leiu oeru fmokx atxaaaan a ke tsun tivok oel tsatsengit
;)

Sounds absolutely exciting!
Soooo jealous that I can't be there ;)
FÌ'U!

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Alan

And so it was the final day of the meet up...

But there was still loads of amazing thinks to do.  The first of which was Na'vi Class 103.  Karyu Pawl provided another amazing and energetic class that provided more detail and background into Na'vi that builds upon the content from the precious classes.  The was some explanation, followed by examples and then some practical sessions to help cement the learning.  The class was videoed so it will become an additional resource of Na'vi learning for the whole community.

After lunch we made our way to Madrona Mash Park to undertake some habitat restoration.  Once gathered we were given a brief talk by our supervisor there.  He explained how we were going to be removing an invasive plant from a part of the park before furnishing us with gloves and shears.  We picked up some wheel barrows along the way before setting to work.

After about 1 1/2 hours we took a break with some food and drink provided.  Before we set back to work, our supervisor, Daniel, gave up a tour of the area where we were working.  We found some frogs, that we were allowed to pick up, but only one so as not to spread a certain frog illness that they might have (which doesn't affect humans).  There was a final hour of vegitation clearance, after which we cleared up and headed back to base.

We said our irayos to Daniel, our supervisor, before the planning team gave a brief end of meet up summary.  We all then made our way back to the hotel for some syuve.  Om, yom, yom!

And so ends AvatarMeet 2014.  A massive IRAYO NÌTXAN to everyone.  Especially Karyu Pawl and John who have made everyone so welcome and opened up their home to us and provided a wonderful vegan meal to all of us.  Also to Karyu Pawl who provided another wonderful Na'vi class 103 that will become a wonderful resource for the future.

Of none of us will forget to amazing experience that the outstanding people at Lightstorm gave us.  A massive Irayo nìtxan to Jon Landau, Kathy Franklin, Brooks Brown, Kevin Earl who all made it possible to visit their studios and were so amazingly accommodating of us.  We must also thank also their staff who also helped provide the amazing experience.  This will live with us all for a very long time to come and we wish them the most sincerest best for the coming years as they ramp up production for the coming films.

All that remains are the sad 'kìyevames' and 'Eywa ngahus' as we gradually make our way home to our own kelutrals.  So until next time...

Kìyevame ulte Eywa ngahu frakrr,

Alan

Tirea Aean

This has definitely been an amazing meet up! Kosman nì'aw. I really would like to thank ALL of the planning committee and all who attended. It has been the experience of a lifetime to say the least.

Txur’Itan

It is a whirl wind thing, stuff happens, and then sooner or later, you have to wake up.
私は太った男だ。

Wind12

I just want to say Irayo to everybody involved in making this meet up happen, it was great to meet you guys, and I apologize if I came of as shy as this is my first meet up, and that is my nature, but it was a great experience( even with some of the issues, that we had, I am grateful that I got to be part of the meet-up)
Hopefully if I am lucky enough to make another meet up I will be able to open up even more. A big thanks to all who put up with the traffic to get us to our destinations, this is a great community and I'm glad I made that leap to come to the meet up  :D

Raiden

More people should have come on the camping trip.

After all, the movie is about connecting with nature, and not about driving around a big city.

...my cooking is pretty good, too.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Raiden on July 14, 2014, 05:45:41 PM

After all, the movie is about connecting with nature, and not about driving around a big city.

I agree with this. The scenery and the cooking were absolutely spectacular.

EDIT: In hindsight, I probably should have gone on at least one hike... :S

Raiden

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 14, 2014, 06:19:19 PM
Quote from: Raiden on July 14, 2014, 05:45:41 PM

I agree with this. The scenery and the cooking were absolutely spectacular.

EDIT: In hindsight, I probably should have gone on at least one hike... :S

And to be fair, we should have planned an additional day of camping; this way, late comers could still enjoy it, and we could have planned a longer night hike plus an additional day hike.

I'm glad you had fun, though.

Tirea Aean

And I come home now, to find out that I'll be camping next weekend. :D Yay camping! I go from hardly getting to do it at all to doing it twice in the same month.

Wind12

Yes, I know the camping trip must have been really fun, If it wasn't for True I don't know if I could have made it at all, but now I have more confidence in being able to try to go on another one. I am kind of a backwards person in the fact that I have never traveled alone before, or done much by my self at all for that matter, and I was worried that I would be a burden on the camping part, or I would get my skxawng txìm lost. Hopefully next time I will be able to do more.

Ftiafpi

I'm incredibly jealous of all of you but I'm so happy to hear what I great time was had. Thanks everyone who could make it, the banner was a great idea and I'm excited for any more news and pictures from the meet.

Raiden

No mention of the camping trip stuff?

I'll fix that.

(can you see the baby death-dealer? OwO)