Started by Alan, June 30, 2014, 02:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Well here I am, sat at Heathrow Airport waiting to board my Ikran to start my adventure with my Avatar family.  So I thought, whilst I wait for the call, I would start a thread for us to add our experiences with the rest of the clan.

Our adventure starts with our first journey and mine will be across the Atlantic to New Jersey in time for lunch...which will actually be tea time for me!  Om, yom, yom. :)

Anyway feel free to add to this journal thread.

Alan

Sìkat

I was gonna do a (paper) journal & blog this year, in addition to photos.  Looks like I've got another place to post as well :D

Irayo ma Alan!

Wameyn

Hope you have a safe flight over Alan!  8)

Alan

Kal-taxi!

Irayo!

Well I have arrived the other side of the pond!  I was quite quick through customs surprisingly.  I was met by CyanRachel so we're going to watch the Na'vi lessons as some point to bush up ready for the meet up.

Now for the time adjustment to add five hours on to the day!  Of course this means I get an extra meal - Om, yom,yom! ;D

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Its great you have already run into Na'vi folk!

Tìsop akxuke, ma Alan!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Sìkat

Day -5, 30 June 2014, 18:28 UTC-4

Yesterday, I prepared and shipped two boxes containing various gaming consoles, their supporting equipment, my PC laptop, and a few other things, the ASG and the two Avatar artbooks that I haven't read since I bought them in 2012 ;)  As of roughly 90 minutes ago, those items are on their way out west.  Unfortunately, to be sure of them arriving on time, I had to throw down nearly $200.  I'm not too thrilled about that, but...

To say I'm excited would, I think, be the understatement of the decade.  The events of last year are still very much on my mind, and I dare say that this year's fixing up to be better.  As soon as the dates were nailed down and I got approval for the time off, I immediately plunked down the $700 for the plane tickets.  As I said at the time to my boss: "no way in Hell I'm gonna miss this."  

I'll be landing in Reno, NV on Saturday, 5 July, to hook up with `Eylan Ayfalulukanä and Tirea Aean before heading out.  If either of you see this...I'll see you then! :)

Tirea Aean

Txantsan! This is great. I'll totally write my thoughts and experiences here on this thread because they won't really fit into either of my blogs, imo. (not even Pìlok Tireayä Aean because my entries will be in English.)

I'll most likely add stuff here starting on Sunday 6 July 2014 now. Although I'll say right now that I have been doing a few things to try to optimize my Na'vi proficiency for the meet. I will indeed by trying to speak Na'vi if possible the entire time there. (I never, EVER get to speak Na'vi in my physical outside-the-internet life, so this is gonna be a wonderful long-overdue release) Translations upon request but automatically given if people known to not understand the language are present in earshot and are interested in hearing what I have to say.

Sìkat

I'll be bringing both my blue book, and the source code for the LN iOS app, so speak all the Na'vi you want ;)

Tirea Aean

I'll bring a notebook of some kind and the Android app source code. Will do :D

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Txur'Itan on June 30, 2014, 09:46:47 PM
Feverishly Editing Footage  ;D

Or is it MB? or GB? ;) (We need Naʼvi words for 'byte', 'kilobyte', 'megabyte', 'gigabyte' and 'terabyte'. Just not PETAbyte ;) )

I could bring my 3-chip Sony BVP-7 camera with a Betacam back, if you want footage. (Or would my film-loving friend lend me his 16 mm Bolex?)

With Tirea Aean and Sikat in camp, it sounds like I will need a 19 inch rack and a few blade servers! ;) (I really have camped before with a 19 inch rack in my temt, but it was for amateur radio equipment).

I have the Android app, but it will be interesting to go over the source code with you, ma Tirea!

Yawey ngahu!

Alan

Sounds like your tent is going to bioluminess with all that gear in it!  What you need is a 'shack' ;) Have fun at the camp.

Today, we should hopefully be going on a little walk in a park nearby.  Goin' t' be bloomin' 'ot t'day, though - 32C, which for someone coming from a nice room temperature 20C is a bit of a jump.  Sun factor 50 I think - I'm as white as a snowman!  Hehehe.

Alan

Sìkat

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 01, 2014, 01:42:39 AM
I could bring my 3-chip Sony BVP-7 camera with a Betacam back, if you want footage. (Or would my film-loving friend lend me his 16 mm Bolex?)

How many cameras do you have? ;)

With Tirea Aean and Sikat in camp, it sounds like I will need a 19 inch rack and a few blade servers! ;) (I really have camped before with a 19 inch rack in my temt, but it was for amateur radio equipment).

I have the Android app, but it will be interesting to go over the source code with you, ma Tirea!

:D :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Sìkat on July 01, 2014, 07:24:55 AM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 01, 2014, 01:42:39 AM

How many cameras do you have? ;)

Let's see...
The Aforementioned Sony.
An Ikegami HL-53, also with a Betacam back
A Sony BVP-300 with studio package CCU
3 Ikegami HL-79E, with studio packages and CCUs (no cables !)
3 BTS LDK-9P's with studio packages and CCUs (and lots of triax cable!)
A Bosch KCN-40U studio camera
An Ampex BCC-10 studio camera
An RCA TK-47 studio camera
A Norelco PC-70 studio camera (and you thought Norelco just made shavers!)
An Editel ECN-2 'portable' camera

Yawey ngahu!

Sìkat

*jawdrops & falls down unconscious*

Alan

Wow! 'Eylan, makes my little Canon handicap look a little puny!   Bring them along...all of them!  Hehehe

Well, it's now day two for me. CyanRachel and I had a nice walk along a boulevard and got to see a shed load of millionare's houses - the sort that require a workforce to maintain, before it got too hot!  Yeah, the whimpy Brit was struggling with the heat and hooomidity!  Hehehe.

So after a stop at the store to get some syuve, we went base to basecamp and went through Na'vi class 101 from the 2012 meet up to help us get ready for Karyu Pawl's class 103.  Hopefully later on we will be going through Na'vi class 102.

If anyone else what a refresher then you can go to Karyu Pawl's Naviteri website to view the class videos here:

http://naviteri.org/category/navi-101/

Alan

mikkowilson

It must be getting close to AvatarMeet.

I was in the store this morning pickup up some supplies for the trip...

I haven't seen that as Demo footage in a store in a long time. Looked pretty darn good on that set at least.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I kind of like that TV display. The thinness of the screen and the quadpod base makes it look like a projection screen.

Alan, I didn't think the humidity would bother you so much, with the 'london fog' and all that...

Here's a link to a weather forecast that is created for a location very close to where we will be camping. At this time (Tuesday July 2), it is calling for highs in the low '90's (F, 32 C), and lows in the low '50's ( 10 C). Good sleeping weather. Camp elevation is around 4,700 feet. This forecast is updated several times a day, so check back often as we get closer to the time.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-118.67306&lat=36.79155#.U7Rt5ECmU1I

Yawey ngahu!

Toruk Makto

Alan, you better keep your wits about you. There's a hurricane heading your way.  :o

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

mikkowilson

Quote from: Toruk Makto on July 02, 2014, 05:55:43 PM
Alan, you better keep your wits about you. There's a hurricane heading your way.  :o
Don't get stuck. (Seriously, be prepared to move fly early if necessary - many airlines allow free re-booking around major natural events.)

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387