AvMeet 2014 Camping Photo Thread

Started by Raiden, July 15, 2014, 07:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiden

This is a thread for the people who went camping to share their photos and other things of what we did and saw on our camping trip.

The camping was a lot of fun, but a lot of people also missed out on it for various reasons; this is intended to be a window into what we did this year and the plants and animals we encountered.

Copied from another one of my posts:

Quote from: Raiden on July 15, 2014, 01:44:46 PM
No mention of the camping trip stuff?

I'll fix that.

(can you see the baby death-dealer? OwO)

There are more photos to come, but I may not be able to get around to organizing and posting the rest of mine until the weekend.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txantsan!

Ma RAiden, can you identify the species on these pictures?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alan

Great piccies ma tsmukan...although I wouldn't fancy finding some of them in my sleeping bag!

Alan

Raiden

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 16, 2014, 02:40:10 PM
Txantsan!

Ma RAiden, can you identify the species on these pictures?
Yeah, but but I am at work right now and I may not be able to exhaustively ID everything until the weekend.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Raiden on July 15, 2014, 07:27:11 PM
This should be a Milk Snake [Lampropeltis triangulum], a subspecies of kingsnake. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Raiden

Quote from: Tìtstewan on July 16, 2014, 04:38:23 PM
Quote from: Raiden on July 15, 2014, 07:27:11 PM
This should be a Milk Snake [Lampropeltis triangulum], a subspecies of kingsnake. :)

Nice try; you were actually pretty close.

The snake I am holding is Lampropeltis zonata, more commonly known as the California mountain kingsnake; milk snakes and king snakes are closely related, but milk snakes are a different species within the same genus, and not a subspecies of any of the king snakes; the milk snake and king snake species complexes are more or less geographically isolated in most regions.

Another easy way to tell king snakes and milk snakes apart is that if you find a snake with colorful bands in the western US, it is most likely a kingsnake, but if you find a snake with colorful bands in the eastern US, it is most likely a milk snake. Both snakes are hypothesized by some to be coral snake mimics, and most certainly are; if you find a snake with colorful bands in the southern US (southeast, south-central, or southwest) you need to be careful, because it could very well be a coral snake; there are a number of rhymes that are passed around about how to tell the difference, such as "red on yellow, kill a fellow; red on black, venom lack".

Coral snakes (Microglanis sp.) actually belong in family elapidae (cobras, kraits, etc.) and once you get to know snakes well enough, you will find that it is easy to tell the Coral snakes apart from the harmless mimic species (there are more than just king snakes and milk snakes) simply by looking at their jaw and skull structure.

EDIT: The others will have IDs by Friday or Saturday. My work schedule this summer has me waking up *very* early, and so I'm not sure I will have much time to work on posting the others until the weekend; I have also sent PMs to the other people from the camping who took photos, and hopefully they will be here to add their photos as well.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Irayo, ma Raiden. By the weekend is fine; I'm in the same boat you are in workwise (plus now the big legislative fight I have been involuntarily dragged into). And it was the snake picture that is the one I was also most interested in.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Raiden on July 16, 2014, 09:06:29 PM
-snip-

Nice try; you were actually pretty close.
Ah, bit it looks pretty similar like this snake:

I see the head has a little different pattern. So, oops, I confused it with this one.
Yeah, I know they can be confused wit the coral snake, as you mentioned they have other patterns: red - white - black.

Btw, I can't see your pictures, "The image you are request does not exist or is no longer available"

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Wind12

Very neat :) most of the snakes that I see around my house are garter snakes.

Raiden

Quote from: Wind12 on July 19, 2014, 05:57:35 AM
Very neat :) most of the snakes that I see around my house are garter snakes.

If you live where I think you live and you only see Thamnophis, you're not looking hard enough.

Anyway, on with the parade; I won't be able to add IDs to these guys until tomorrow, so enjoy the photos for now:

Alan

Wow!  Stunning photos ma Raiden :)

Alan

Wind12

Irayo nìtxan!!

very nice photos, that yucca plant is huge!!
(btw, yes I bet we have a lot more variety of snakes, it is just those Ae the easiest to spot, full disclosure I have a thing about bees and that limits my extensive exploration)  :-[

Toruk Makto

Raiden,
  Do you want to merge this to the Photo Central topic I just created?

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

CyanRachel

Quote from: Alan on July 20, 2014, 03:07:58 AM
Wow!  Stunning photos ma Raiden :)

Alan

^This.
Irayo, Raiden, for sharing your photos with us!  :)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)