Camping Discussion for AvatarMeet 2014

Started by Raiden, February 14, 2014, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiden

So.

Another meetup is on the horizon; the time has come to plan out the camping event for 2014!

We have looked at dozens of possible locations around Los Angeles and have narrowed it down to three candidates. This year, we plan to continue to streamline the camping event to be more efficient and have less problems overall.

The goal of this thread is to let everyone have a say in what type of camping they prefer as well as what location they like best. Also, everyone can talk about camping advice, gear selection, food preparation, past camping experiences, carpooling, and anything else related to AvatarMeet and camping.

Disclaimer: This thread is not the only deciding factor in planning the camping event, as there are several threads on other forums and coordination with the AM planning team.

This year we have 2 options:

- 2 events/locations back-to-back (like at Am2012), where one will be a more tame basic camping experience and one will be a more adventurous difficult camping experience.

- 1 event/location, but have several options per day so people can choose the activity/difficulty that they want.

The camping will take place immediately before the meetup, however the dates are up for discussion and will depend on attendance and the type of event/events that are chosen. (most likely the camping will start on July 5th or 6th)

Here are the 3 locations we have chosen. (these may be subject to change)

A     Sequoia National Park

Driving Distance From LAX: 4-6 hours
    Lodging: primitive campsites, group campgrounds, cabins, lodges
    Food: multiple on-site stores/restaurants
    Ecosystems: Montane forest, dry forest, lakes, chapparal, alpine/subalpine forest.
    Cost: depends on lodging and food choices, but camping permits and national park pass are required
    Information: http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm
    Possible Activities: hiking, exploration, night hikes, ecology lessons, rock flipping (ask for details!)...ect
    Other Info: The best option for overall experience. One of the United State's most famous national parks, with unique ecosystems home to dozens of species, including very high reptile diversity.

B     Joshua Tree National Park

Driving Distance From LAX: ~2 hours
    Lodging: Primitive campsites, group campgrounds (bathrooms/tables/firepits)
    Food: Pack/bring it in (buy at local stores on route to the national park)
    Ecosystem: Desert, montane forest, rock outcrops, desert scrub
    Cost: Camping permits and national park pass are required
    Information: http://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm
    Possible Activities: Hiking, exploration, night hikes, ecology lessons, history of wall paintings/mines, camp games, desert camping lessons, rock flipping (ask for details!), herping, stargazing, nearby mountain tramway with shopping/restaurants/views (http://www.pstramway.com/)...ect
    Other Info: The best option for desert camping. A unique camping experience in the California Desert, right next to Palm Springs, CA. Very high insect, reptile, and arachnid diversity, with six species of rattlesnakes occurring within the boundaries of the park (leave them alone and remain at a respectful distance and you won't be harmed).

C    Angeles National Forest

Driving Distance From LAX: ~1 hour
    Lodging: Primitive campgrounds (bathrooms/tables/firepits)
    Food: Pack/bring it in (buy at local stores on route to the national park)
    Ecosystems: Dry forest, montane forest, streams, rocky outcrops.
    Cost: Camping permits and forest "adventure pass" (for vehicles) are required
    Information: http://www.fs.usda.gov/angeles
    Possible Activities: Hiking, exploration, night hikes, ecology lessons, peak summiting, camp games, great backpacking opportunities, rock flipping, herping. Varied terrain and trail options.
    Other Info: The best option for backpacking and peak summiting opportunities. A very short drive from Los Angeles, this area has several campgrounds and multiple trails for a more secluded off-the-beaten-path adventure. The specific campgrounds/trails are in the "Redbox" area. http://www.summitpost.org/red-box/246212

map

So let the discussion begin....What camping event would you like to see at AvatarMeet 2014?

For any questions or comments about the planning feel free to contact us:
However, please keep the general camping discussion in this thread so everyone can be included

PM:
Aketuan
Raiden

IRC:
server: irc.geekshed.net
channel: #camping (camping discussion) or #avatarmeet (general discussion)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

AketuanNavi

Also everyone, here is the link to this thread's "sister thread" on ToS.

http://www.tree-of-souls.com/avatarmeet_2014/5676-camping_disscusion_for_avatarmeet_2014_a.html

Again, this is an open discussion thread so anyone with questions or camping suggestions feel free to share and discuss them here.  :)

CyanRachel

Irayo, Raiden and Aketuan, for posting all this info!  :)

Well, I'll chime in and say, of the 2 options, I'd be OK with either 2 events/locations back-to-back (like at AM2012) OR 1 event/location. It doesn't really matter to me.

And of the 3 National Parks, I'd prefer A: Sequoia National Park, mainly because I'd like to stay in a cabin/lodge.  :)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Sìkat

Any one of the three would work for me, but I'll have to purchase gear if there are no cabins available. 

Sìkat

Sign me up! (You should already have my email address; if not, shoot me a PM)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

First of all, ma Raiden, I did not realize you were on the planning committee now. Tewti!

Because there are so many undecided variables that it makes it difficult to say which I prefer, I think I lean towards the single event better, kind of like what we did in Seattle.

I had been planning to do sightseeing in or around LA prior to the meetup. So, I am a bit more inclined to join DJ Makto and Sikat on doing this, simply because that is what I am more interested in. (I will also have my own transportation. I looked at the train options and didn't like them.)

If I were to camp (and camping would not at all be a bad thing, the above items considered), any of the choices would be good. I enjoy rougher camping as long as I am prepared. What I can't do anymore is things like backpacking camping. (If I continue to recover as I have been doing though, I should be able to enjoy day hikes). I will list my camping preferences in this order: 1. Joshua Tree  2. Sequoia (that's closer to Reno, almost day-trip distance, as well!)  3. Angeles NF.

If we are in a decent dark sky location, I can bring a telescope.

If sute really like the camping bit, we really do need to try Great Basin National Park some year!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I just got done looking at a map of where Sequoia National Park is. It is in an unusually advantageous spot for me in terms of Tsperang nìhol yayo fa tskxe nìhol ;) Being along CA Hwy 99, it is on a major route between northern CA and the LA area. It is also an easy way back to Reno. If I were to leave camp on the last day of camping (Maybe with someone who would like to see Reno, albeit briefly!), and drive back to Reno for the night, I could drop off all the camping gear, and return through the park the next day, to pick up perhaps 2 more folk (for a total of three besides me) who need a ride to LA. Without the camping gear, there would be plenty of room for luggage. A simi;ar scheme also might work for a person or two who want to fly (or take the train) into/out of Reno and still camp.

Sequpia National Park is also only about an hours' drive from Yosemite National Park, one of the greatest national parks in all of the US!

Yawey ngahu!

Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo)

I'm going to do some research on it, but what places are you interested in visiting, 'Eylan Ayfalulukana, DJ Makto and Sikat?
When you see nothing, you see everything.
There's a picture of me on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo) on February 18, 2014, 10:53:43 AM
I'm going to do some research on it, but what places are you interested in visiting, 'Eylan Ayfalulukana, DJ Makto and Sikat?

I started another thread for this discussion, so this thread could focus on camping arrangements.

Yawey ngahu!

Raiden

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 17, 2014, 09:46:48 PM
First of all, ma Raiden, I did not realize you were on the planning committee now. Tewti!

Because there are so many undecided variables that it makes it difficult to say which I prefer, I think I lean towards the single event better, kind of like what we did in Seattle.

Seattle was actually a split event; the people who wanted a more rigorous camping experience ("advanced", because it requires a certain degree of skill and fitness more than "basic") went and did their thing about two days before people were supposed to arrive at the main campsite.

But thanks for your input.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Raiden on March 09, 2014, 08:35:14 PM

Seattle was actually a split event; the people who wanted a more rigorous camping experience ("advanced", because it requires a certain degree of skill and fitness more than "basic") went and did their thing about two days before people were supposed to arrive at the main campsite.

I remember that. How did that work out?

Yawey ngahu!

Raiden

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 10, 2014, 03:20:06 AM
Quote from: Raiden on March 09, 2014, 08:35:14 PM

I remember that. How did that work out?

Oh, it was great, actually.

For one, the "advanced" camping flowed neatly into the basic camping, because when we returned from the advanced camping we just went straight to the basic campsite ad were there already when the others showed up.

This meant that we had everything set up and ready to roll for our camping hours before anyone else arrived. It couldn't have gone better.