Cosplay, PAX job

Started by Ikxeru, February 05, 2014, 05:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikxeru

Kaltxì ma frapo,

I want to wag my blue striped kxetse sì txìm in LA, of course. Actually, it seems to be that I'll be the only clan member from Germany that will attend this year's AvatarMeet.
Who's willing to paint with me? As you know, No one can paint it's own back (and even much less, if it comes to stripe patterns).

I want to be painted for the whole time, as we are going to stay in a hotel and it's just for three days. I offer a full painting with PAX if someone agrees to help me with my painting.

Actually, if it really turns out that I have to travel on my own, I will book a room on my own as well during the meetup - so that we'll have enough space for a good job.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

DJ Makto

Quote from: Ikxeru on February 05, 2014, 05:11:07 PM
Kaltxì ma frapo,

I want to wag my blue striped kxetse sì txìm in LA, of course. Actually, it seems to be that I'll be the only clan member from Germany that will attend this year's AvatarMeet.
Who's willing to paint with me? As you know, No one can paint it's own back (and even much less, if it comes to stipe patterns).

I want to be painted for the whole time, as we are going to stay in a hotel and it's just for three days. I offer a full painting with PAX if someone agrees to help me with my painting.

Actually, if it really turns out that I have to travel on my own, I will book a room on my own as well during the meetup - so that we'll have enough space for a good job.

Having painted myself solo 12 times now, I know your pain. I too plan to stay painted up on all the days using airbrushed alcohol based paints. Hopefully you will be able to find some help.

Alan

Ma Ikxeru,

Sorry to hear you might be on your own from Germany :(  Can't you fit them in your suit case?  It'll be great to see you again.

Hey, you could help him ma DJ!  It'll make it easier for you to get painted up too!  :D

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I would be interested in doing this. This would help me learn how to do a good job. I am more interested in face, arms and legs than full body, as I really don't have the figure for a Naʼvi/avatar ::)

What do I need to procure in advance?
Where can one get a decent Na'vi wig that is decorated appropriately?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Raiden

I might also be interested, mostly because the experience would be useful to me.

I am an exceedingly modest person, but I am more than willing to put that aside for the opportunity to use PAX.

I'm doing full Na'vi, so the extra PAX would be put to good use on me. I am also willing to trade you some of my African Porcupine quills and possibly some animal bones for the opportunity.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo)

A bit off subject, but I have collected quite a few bones and other paraphernalia for my Na'vi cosplay. I wouldn't mind bringing some of my collection with me if anybody would be interested in using them for their cosplay. I'd love to have a porcupine quill or two if I have anything you're interested in, Raiden.
When you see nothing, you see everything.
There's a picture of me on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I might have some natural items for trading as well. I also have access to peacock tail feathers if anyone would find those useful.

Yawey ngahu!

Sarah Noel

Supply trading, I like. I have a ton of na'vi-ish supplies I've amassed over the years. If I've got room packing, I'll bring some. (though I think I said that last year... and the year before... and my carry-on just couldn't fit it, I should bite the bullet and check in luggage)

As of now, Lightstorm has not indicated whether cosplay will be okay on the studio, since they are not the only company on the lot and need to clear it with the others, as well as possible paint mess.

In all likelihood, the "official" cosplay day will be on a separate day from studio tour anyway, so as not to detract from it and be more accommodating in over-night/early-morning painting logistics.

DJ Makto

Quote from: Sarah Noel on February 19, 2014, 10:23:52 PM
Supply trading, I like. I have a ton of na'vi-ish supplies I've amassed over the years. If I've got room packing, I'll bring some. (though I think I said that last year... and the year before... and my carry-on just couldn't fit it, I should bite the bullet and check in luggage)

As of now, Lightstorm has not indicated whether cosplay will be okay on the studio, since they are not the only company on the lot and need to clear it with the others, as well as possible paint mess.

In all likelihood, the "official" cosplay day will be on a separate day from studio tour anyway, so as not to detract from it and be more accommodating in over-night/early-morning painting logistics.

I'll piggy back on this and say that I might have a few bows/odd spears I'm willing to loan out to folks unable to haul one of their own out. Check with me closer to the actual meetup.

PAX if I recall correctly does not rub off and leave "deposits" similar to Alcohol paints (What I'll be wearing)... Just saying.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Are you saying alcohol paints leave deposits?

Yawey ngahu!

Sarah Noel

Quote from: DJ Makto on February 20, 2014, 02:21:42 AM

I'll piggy back on this and say that I might have a few bows/odd spears I'm willing to loan out to folks unable to haul one of their own out. Check with me closer to the actual meetup.

PAX if I recall correctly does not rub off and leave "deposits" similar to Alcohol paints (What I'll be wearing)... Just saying.

Well, those aren't going to be the only paint there, smearing is still something that needs to be consider by lightstorm. And from my personal experience, PAX absolutely can flec off.

Edit: the PAX flecks might be more dependant on my lack of PAX application skills than on the medium itself. Though I do notice when PAX starts to wear away on others on the inside of the elbow and such, it sort of peels off.

Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo)

Awesome, I'll do an inventory of my materials and see what I can bring. It would be great if we could eventually set up a trading 'station' at each meetup.  :)
When you see nothing, you see everything.
There's a picture of me on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!

Ikxeru

I string together my thoughts... unsorted.

<sarcasm> An artistsic movie entertainment company that doesn't want the hardcore nerds wearing a costume? Seriously?   Okay, are we going to visit their accountants' department? </sarcasm>
Don't get me wrong - I will obey all rules and this will be an AMAZING day, anyway. It is therir place and they make the rules.
"Possible paint mess" is a very good point. No problem with PAX if apllied correctly.  (It's good to know whee your towel is, anway). You have to eliminate all tack with powder so it will not transfer to other surfaces.

But this puts the plan into question: There seems to be a lost day then for a painting session the day before the official cosplay day, if we can't go to Lightstorm painted. If this should be the case, I seriously do not know if I want to paint at all, regarding the fact that it takes eight hours (plus 4 hours of removal time) during the precious time of the meetup. This would mean that it takes more time for the painting than actually walking around painted. And this year it has to be far better than last year - I wasn't satisfied with my work last year at Shenandoah, working in a rush and having that lazy thought in my mind far too often: "forget about this detail... it is only for a couple of hours."  This thought makes me a lazy txìm...

Meh - I know myself, and in the end I'm sure I want that pait job so much  - but it tastes quite bitter, if I think that I have to carry all that stuff for over 15000 miles, pay $300 for extra baggage fees plus an estimated $150 for paint - just for showing my real skin color for eight hours - being already exhausted after a long night (for the foundation paint) and a morning session of painting PLUS 1 1/2 hours of face-make up,including the prothetics. I am marching with a parade over here on Sunday before the meetup, have an intercontinental flight on most probably Tuesday and have to start working on my make-up immediately. I am not sure, if I can make that...   *sigh*   - - - I self-cut off my own tail if this isn't going to work.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Ikxeru

Gosh, what am I talking about? Of course it is worth every second to do a paint job!   Sorry guys, I was feeling a bit depressed today - so, hell yeah. Yeeeeaaahhh-haaa! :D ;)

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Sarah Noel

Ma Ikxeru,
Cosplay during lightstorm day is still up in the air, and is still likely not the be the official cosplay day. However, lightstorm will most likely be the first full day back from the camping trip. This gives 2 full days left (maybe 3 depending on personal departure times) to wear the cosplay. Since you're in PAX that would certainly mean more time in paint than actually painting. Also I want to do another costume contest this year, which would be placed on "official" cosplay day, so if anyone has an suggestions/improvements from the 2012 contest I would really appreciate it.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I don't think I will be cosplaying this year. All of the prostethics from ReelMagick are not available until mid-August.

Yawey ngahu!

Ikxeru

Cosplay during the Easter days was so much fun. I am so much looking forward to it now.
And we did a very fast job this time. As more jobs I do, as faster I get.

I think I can't finish my headpiece until than - and even if it get's finished - I doubt if I am allowed to bring it into the US.
I have to check about customs regulations for bringing in a goat skull (which is an animal product) without getting in trouble.

Ma 'eylan Ayfalulukanä, maybe I can help with some spare ears at least. We should talk about that.

Ma Eywa there will be a high-professional SFX workshop aka room party in my room I guess...  :D  Sounds fun. Is fun.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Ikxeru on May 02, 2014, 04:11:28 PM
Cosplay during the Easter days was so much fun. I am so much looking forward to it now.
And we did a very fast job this time. As more jobs I do, as faster I get.

I think I can't finish my headpiece until than - and even if it get's finished - I doubt if I am allowed to bring it into the US.
I have to check about customs regulations for bringing in a goat skull (which is an animal product) without getting in trouble.

Ma 'eylan Ayfalulukanä, maybe I can help with some spare ears at least. We should talk about that.

Ma Eywa there will be a high-professional SFX workshop aka room party in my room I guess...  :D  Sounds fun. Is fun.

A goat skull may be OK if it is from a domestic goat, and is thoroughly cleaned and bleached. How big is it? How do you intend to use it? I might be able to come up with one you can use.

Ears would certainly help, but its the tail that is the big missing piece. I took a closer look at using a lion tail taxidermy form (which is about the right length), but it has a stiffening wire in it that would probably render the tail too stiff (In taxidermy work, the tail is generally positioned just once.).

UPDATE: I found plenty of goat skulls, so bringing one over here should not be necessary.

Yawey ngahu!

Ikxeru

Okay, finally, the meetup will start very soon. In the meantime, as you might have noticed, I am not longer travelling alone, so Sebastian will stay with me as my roomate. He will not do any cosplay this year - so one of you might still be interested to paint together with me. We should check this out - if anyone is still interested, you'll find my mobile number on the AvatarMeet website -  feel free to add me on WhattsApp and/or shoot me a PM.

Can anyone of you lend me a prop spear for the meetup? I can't bring my larger weapons with me. (A longbow would cost me $400 on the plane to ship... ridiculous ... for an 8 ft piece of down spout, weighing only a few pounds, while you can carry a surf board for $50)  --  even though I would invest that, if my real hunting bow would be still working - but not for a prop-only bow.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

DJ Makto

Quote from: Ikxeru on July 02, 2014, 01:58:47 PM
Okay, finally, the meetup will start very soon. In the meantime, as you might have noticed, I am not longer travelling alone, so Sebastian will stay with me as my roomate. He will not do any cosplay this year - so one of you might still be interested to paint together with me. We should check this out - if anyone is still interested, you'll find my mobile number on the AvatarMeet website -  feel free to add me on WhattsApp and/or shoot me a PM.

Can anyone of you lend me a prop spear for the meetup? I can't bring my larger weapons with me. (A longbow would cost me $400 on the plane to ship... ridiculous ... for an 8 ft piece of down spout, weighing only a few pounds, while you can carry a surf board for $50)  --  even though I would invest that, if my real hunting bow would be still working - but not for a prop-only bow.

I have my blood stained spear from my 300 cosplay you could borrow?