Non-camping discussion for AvatarMeet 2014

Started by `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, February 18, 2014, 02:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo) on February 18, 2014, 10:53:43 AM
I'm going to do some research on it, but what places are you interested in visiting, 'Eylan Ayfalulukana, DJ Makto and Sikat?

I thought this needed a thread of its own, so I started one.

My interests are the following:

San Diego Zoo (about 2 hours drive from LA, and worth it!) or LA Zoo (which also includes Griffith park/observatory) (There is also the San Diego Wildlife Park, which also comes highly recommended)

La Brea Tarpits (lots of fossil falulukan!)

Space shuttle (Endeavor, I think?)

USS Iowa (big battleship)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

mikkowilson

Endeavour is the shuttle at the California Science Center.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo)

I'm interested in the LA Zoo, the La Brea Tar Pits and an unusual looking place called the Museum of Jurassic Technology.

When you see nothing, you see everything.
There's a picture of me on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo) on February 20, 2014, 10:02:52 PM
I'm interested in the LA Zoo, the La Brea Tar Pits and an unusual looking place called the Museum of Jurassic Technology.

That sounds really interesting. I will have to check that out!

Yawey ngahu!

Sìkat

I've only been to California once before (San Francisco in June '13) so I'll have to defer to the others on Los Angeles attractions.  However, whichever way we go, expect tons of photos as I purchased a much better camera after the meetup last summer (Nikon D3100)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Sìkat on February 21, 2014, 03:25:11 PM
I've only been to California once before (San Francisco in June '13) so I'll have to defer to the others on Los Angeles attractions.  However, whichever way we go, expect tons of photos as I purchased a much better camera after the meetup last summer (Nikon D3100)

Between you, I and Mikkowilson, we should have a fine time doing photography! (I just need a good long weekend with nothing else going on to get my images processed and uploaded!)

Yawey ngahu!

DJ Makto

Ok, so we have some cool ideas for things to see and do here. Does anyone have ideas on how long they want the city pre-meet days run for e.g. Monday - Wednesday?

Sìkat

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 24, 2014, 02:28:06 AM
Between you, I and Mikkowilson, we should have a fine time doing photography! (I just need a good long weekend with nothing else going on to get my images processed and uploaded!)

I have Lightroom, a Spyder colorimeter, a 75/35 FiOS connection at home, and more external USB 3 drives than I know what to do with :)  It goes without saying that all of that, plus my MacBook Pro, are all coming along for this trip ;)

However, what I don't have are the assortment of lenses, flashes, and other stuff that you, Mikko & DJ Makto have.  Even though I could definitely find stuff on the used market, I don't have the slightest idea of what to get, and I'm hesitant to throw a lot of money around until I have a better idea of what to get.  *digs out his copy of _Digital SLR Photography for Dummies_*

mikkowilson

How do you take FiOS on the road? A really long spool of glass?

:)

Lenses: you can never have enough.
Use what you have, and when you start to feel limited by it, you'll know what you need to get next.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Sìkat

So far, all I have is the lens that came with it (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm), plus a UV & circular polarization filter.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That's a good start. If this camera has an APS sized sensor (which most do), I would recommend finding something like a 28-135 mm zoom lens. You will find this kind of lens to be your most-used lens-- a little wide angle, and a useful amount of telephoto. If you can afford another lens, a 100-300 mm telephoto will handle much of the remaining tasks. Good lenses will last many years, and represent a lifetime investment.

As you have done with your 18-55 mm lens, put a skylight 1A or 1B filter on the lens, more for protection than any particular effect.

Last, but not least, get a decent camera bag. This does not need to be an expensive item.

I'm trying to remember where in Rochester I bought my first SLR. They gave very good service. I still use that camera 15 years later.

Yawey ngahu!

Sìkat

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 19, 2014, 11:15:19 PM
That's a good start. If this camera has an APS sized sensor (which most do), I would recommend finding something like a 28-135 mm zoom lens. You will find this kind of lens to be your most-used lens-- a little wide angle, and a useful amount of telephoto. If you can afford another lens, a 100-300 mm telephoto will handle much of the remaining tasks. Good lenses will last many years, and represent a lifetime investment.

I'll get both, if finances permit.  I'd definitely like to hit up any camera stores in Los Angeles if time allows.

QuoteLast, but not least, get a decent camera bag. This does not need to be an expensive item.

I have one, but it probably isn't big enough to hold large lenses.

I'm trying to remember where in Rochester I bought my first SLR. They gave very good service. I still use that camera 15 years later.

I have an uncle in Herkimer who swore by his Minolta SLR for over 20 years. He only switched in 2008 to the Nikon CoolPix P80 (same model I brought to AM2013) because among other (time-related) reasons, he couldn't justify the expense of 35mm film vs. digital.  I'm going to ask him if he'd be willing to sell me his flash, since the P80 doesn't have a hot shoe.

I plan on getting a lot of mileage out of this DSLR :D

To get back on topic: being a bit of a TV nut (despite not being much of a TV *watcher*), I've always wanted to visit CBS Television City, although I think _The Price is Right_ is on hiatus in July.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Television City might be an interesting thing to see, but the most interesting parts of it are not on the public tour. I'll ask a couple of friends about it.

Yawey ngahu!

Ikxeru

I just read some informations on the Old LA Zoo. It's located at Griffith Park (where the observatory is). I have been to Griffith Park in 2011 - but not at the Old LA Zoo. Anyway, I think Griffith Park and that old Zoo could be an excellent location for cosplayers for a photoshoot.

Hey, if we have any RDA-cosplayers, we could set up some LARPish scenes at the cages of the old zoo.  Could be interesting.  The overlook over downtown from the hills of Griffith park and the forest would make a nice location for taking nice shots and we can get in-and-out quite easily. As far as I remember, it is a half an hour drive from Hollywood Blvd and I bet a lot of people want to go there as well when painted. After shooting pictures of the Na'vi at the old zoo, I'm interested to see the (new) LA Zoo, too (which is not far away from the old zoo locaton).

As Fyrewall sugessted, that " Museum of Jurassic Technology" should be worth a visit! I've heard that it is really interesting.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I didn't realize the old zoo still existed. A strangely interesting place to visit, both from a historical standpoint, and as a zookeeper. The new zoo is nearby, and of course, Griffith park would be interesting to explore.

Yawey ngahu!