Activities at 2015 AvatarMeet

Started by AketuanNavi, March 09, 2015, 11:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CyanRachel

Kaltxì Aketuan! Nice to see you here again, ma tsmukan.  :D

Irayo for this list of potential activities for AvatarMeet. My preferences would be for #2 (Bear Lake), 4 (Horse Ride), 5 (Estes Park Downtown), and 7 (Aerial Tram). And of course I'd like for us all to do some volunteering (like at last year's meetup), and a screening of Avatar is a MUST.  :D
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

mikkowilson

Quote from: CyanRachel on April 21, 2015, 05:50:28 PM[...] and a screening of Avatar is a MUST.  :D

Is everyone cool with projecting onto a bed sheet this year (like 2011)? Because I have a feeling that somehow we're not going to find a theater up to quite the same caliber as last year's screening...

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Wind12

Works for me!!!  ;)  :)

A nice viewing of Avatar in the hallelujah mountains :D just as long as the flux vortex doesn't mess with the projector. ;)

Ftiafpi

Quote from: mikkowilson on April 22, 2015, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: CyanRachel on April 21, 2015, 05:50:28 PM[...] and a screening of Avatar is a MUST.  :D

Is everyone cool with projecting onto a bed sheet this year (like 2011)? Because I have a feeling that somehow we're not going to find a theater up to quite the same caliber as last year's screening...

- Mikko

Avatar is best when viewed on a bed sheet IMO. :P

Alan

Back to basics - I'm good with a bedsheet.  I'm sure we'll be able to get one from the hotel like we did in 2011, along with pillows on the floor ;)

Alan

Wind12

Neytiri is beautiful no matter what she is projected on  :) :) :) :D

CyanRachel

Quote from: mikkowilson on April 22, 2015, 09:27:32 PMIs everyone cool with projecting onto a bed sheet this year (like 2011)? Because I have a feeling that somehow we're not going to find a theater up to quite the same caliber as last year's screening...

- Mikko

Yep, that's perfectly fine with me!
I liked our small Avatar screening at the Seattle hotel in 2011 -- it was fun.  :D
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Wind12

It's not the material that the movie is shown on, but rather, the material in the movie :) :) :) :) :) ;)
I can't wait to see it with you guys again. :)

Alan

^  I see what you did there ;)

Nothing beats Avatar on a bed sheet!

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

It shouldn't be hard to come up with something better than a bedsheet to project it on. Surround sound OTOH, is another matter altogether ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 04, 2015, 05:20:49 PM
It shouldn't be hard to come up with something better than a bedsheet to project it on. Surround sound OTOH, is another matter altogether ;)

I wonder if the hotel would mind us fitting a Dolby ATMOS system?  Hehehe.

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Alan on May 05, 2015, 01:56:21 PM

I wonder if the hotel would mind us fitting a Dolby ATMOS system?  Hehehe.

Alan

HRH!!

Yawey ngahu!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 05, 2015, 03:46:30 PM
Quote from: Alan on May 05, 2015, 01:56:21 PM

I wonder if the hotel would mind us fitting a Dolby ATMOS system?  Hehehe.

Alan

HRH!!

I see nothing wrong with this at all. ;)

mikkowilson

If you've had the opportunity to hear Atmos in action (many cinemas have it now, look for it!), you'll agree that it's pretty amazing.

Traditional surround sound is simply 5 audio "channels" (tracks) that play the different sounds in each zone of speakers. (Plus the .1 surround channel that is non-directional.) Every individual setup of speakers distorts those zones, and even if fully matched up for all the zones to be in the right place, it's only a general direction.
It's like having 5 cameras around a stadium to capture a football game from multiple angles.

Atmos is more like a 3D motion capture volume, with pinpoint accuracy, in reverse...
Atmos allows up to 128 tracks (called "objects"), but instead of feeding those tracks directly to the standard "zones" of 5.1, each track also has time-specific 3D coordinate metadata. Those 3D coordinates define where in the 3D space (volume) of the theater (or living room) that particular track should be placed at any given time. When an Atmos system is installed, the location of each speaker is programmed into the processor, just like the location of motion tracking cameras in a 3D capture volume. During play-out, the processor uses the coordinates to feed each track appropriately to each speaker in each room specific layout to place the sound in the correct place in the 3D space of that room. Because each system is configured for each specific installation, and the speakers are just outputs for the processor to render to; each audio object (up to 128 at any given time) can be "placed" virtually in the right location in any given room.

Avatar wasn't mastered in Atmos - it pre-dates it by a few years.

I hear the upcoming Avatar movies will be mastered in Atmos though.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Do we have a projector and DVD player lined up for this showing? Some sort of basic sound system?

Yawey ngahu!

Toruk Makto

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 19, 2015, 03:55:25 PM
Do we have a projector and DVD player lined up for this showing? Some sort of basic sound system?

Yep!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf