Activities at 2015 AvatarMeet

Started by AketuanNavi, March 09, 2015, 11:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AketuanNavi

Ok guys dropping in for a quick sec here...

Here is my suggested itinerary:

Activity 1:
Trail Ridge Road Tour

-Drive up on to the highest continuous paved highway in the United States. Amazing views of mountains and alpine tundra, an ecosystem similar to that found in the arctic tundra with unique animals and plants.
  -At the top there is a visitor center with restaurant, perfect for lunch and definitely worth stopping at
  -Also there is a trail near the top that winds through the tundra with amazing views. Can be as long/short as the group wants
  -Estimated Time for whole trip - 5 hours

Activity 2:
Bear Lake Exploration

-A road goes all the way to Bear Lake, so easy access with a very simple trail around the small lake with nice views
  -4 trails leave Bear lake in multiple directions to access different alpine lakes, all of which are outstanding. Several lakes are only .5 miles away, some are up to 5 miles away.
  -Estimated Time with hike - 2-5 hours

Activity 3:
Climb a 14er

-Its a Colorado tradition to climb a peak over 14,000 ft tall.
  -Longs Peak is the most famous and popular 14er in the whole state and is one of the top 30 highest peaks in the continental US
  -The trails goes through 3 distinct ecosystems and passes various unique formations.
  -My personal favorite hike (and that is saying something!)
  -16 miles round trip. Must leave trailhead at 2am
  -People who want an easier hike can go half-way to Chasm Lake and still enjoy the views.
  -Estimated Time to Complete - 7 hours

Activity 4:
Sombrero Ranch Guided Horse Rides w/ Breakfast!

-Ride horses for a few miles and have breakfast served half-way
  -fun and easy for everyone
  -might be somewhat expensive
  -Estimated time - 4 hours

Activity 5:
Walk/Shop Estes Park Downtown

-Walk around the cool shops in downtown, stop for dinner at some cool restaurant!

Activity 6:
Tour the Stanley Hotel - inspired the shining movie

-Tour the unique hotel
  -Estimated time - 1 hour

Activity 7:
Aerial Tramway

-See Estes Park from 1,000 ft up!
  -Food served at the top
  -Great views and a fun easy ride to the top
  -Estimated Time - 3 hours

Activity 8:
Gem Lake Hike

-Hike a few miles to this gem of a lake situated on a cliff
  -Neat rock formations along the hike and a talus cave to explore

Various Other Activities:
  -Back-country skiing
  -Mtn Biking
  -4x4 tours
  -golf
  -disc golf
  -swimming
  -volunteering
  -Cosplay
  -Eco Tour
  -Night Hike

Anyway, sorry I've been out of it recently guys. I have no time what-so-ever this semester. :/

Edit ta Ftiafpi: There were two activity 7s, fixed.

Alan

He's alive!!!!   ;D

Irayo for researching the bits and bobs above.  Activities 2, 5, 6 and the two 7s look like they would have most appeal to everyone.  I quite like the idea of going on a bike ride, but I'm not sure everyone can ride a bike, so possibly not accessible to everyone.

Maybe we could pool together the ones we think are a goer for everyone to join in and then post the list out there for people to decide and then we can pick the top 4(?) to go ahead and organise/write into the activity programme for the event?

Alan

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Alan on March 10, 2015, 03:40:10 PM
Irayo for researching the bits and bobs above.

No prob, it wasn't research, more personal experience. I can personally testify that all of these are great options.

Oh and activity 1 is a must if we can get transportation. No hiking necessary and its the best location I listed for views and experience.

I'm ok with whatever everyone else wants to do in terms of picking activities. I barely have time to sleep, let alone debate what to do...

(Oh and good catch on the duplicate 7s Alan.   :-[  )

Alan

No worries.  I do far more numpty things than that!  Hehehe.

Alan

mikkowilson

7b (What is this, a Harry Potter movie?) was fun when we did it last time. :)

I propose we move this thread out to the public forum. Thoughts?

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Wind12

WOW they all look amazing!!! Nice to hear from you man, it was awesome hanging out last year. I have never seen a tundra environment, I can't wait for this trip :D

Vawmataw

These are very nice activities! If I could, I would go with you and bring my camera.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Sarah Noel

To make things clear, none of these activities are set in stone, they are just suggestions at this point and we would like to hear what everyone's preferences are, and if someone has an idea for an activity that is not listed above feel free to mention it.

mikkowilson

... or propose your own ideas! It's a community event after all.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Wind12

Well all of the ideas are neat, I like the lakes idea, and the hiking, I want to say the 14er would be a cool experience, but I have never been at that elevation before and wouldn't want to hold anyone back,yet it would be so awesome to try  :D :D :D :D

Ftiafpi

I love 1 2 4 7 8.

I also love golf, disc golf, swimming, volunteering (hell yea!), night hike (they're the best), and 4x4 tours. Honestly these all sound amazing.

Though, I worry about the 14k mountain hike. I'd work up to it if that was a thing people wanted to do and not have too much of an issue. But I worry that people who may not be physically capable of such a hike might feel left out. For reference, at 14,000 feet you need supplemental oxygen to perform normally so this would not be a hike to be undertaken lightly.

Toruk Makto

Dunno about supplemental oxygen, but at 14k, the partial pressure of O2 is 60% of sea level, so you will get winded very fast. Altitude sickness is a common ailment at 10k and above.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Wind12

^That is something to consider since I live closer to the pa'li clans of the plains ;) it all sounds great, the only thing that I would have issues with is biking as I have never learned to ride a bike and don't think I'll ever be able to master it.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Toruk Makto on March 30, 2015, 12:57:53 AM
Dunno about supplemental oxygen, but at 14k, the partial pressure of O2 is 60% of sea level, so you will get winded very fast. Altitude sickness is a common ailment at 10k and above.

Oh yeah, you can get by at 14k but that's the point where pilots are required to have supplemental oxygen at all times so I consider that the limit of breathing normally. By "normally" I meant what you said, people could get winded easily and have altitude sickness. Just mentioned it to give people an idea of the difficulty involved in such a hike.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'm fine at 9,800 feet, starting to feel it at 10,500 feet, and definitely notice it at 11,00 feet. I have been actively working at getting back in shape, so this should help. I may try and hike Mount Rose (10,776 feet) before coming (If I am able to come. My chances of being able to come have decreased significantly :(  ).

If we ever do Great Basin National Park, they have a 14,000 foot mountain to hike, Wheeler Peak. As these sorts of hikes go, this is fairly easy. They have some other hiking at around 10,000 feet, which I have done more than once, and thoroughly enjoy.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Sarah Noel

It's an hour out from Estes Park in Fort Collins but this amazing looking old world, English-style tavern dedicated to table top games and craft beers should be open by then. EDIT: just throwing it out there, I understand it might not be worth it logistically, especially if not too many people are interested.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Sarah Noel on March 30, 2015, 06:57:30 PM
It's an hour out from Estes Park in Fort Collins but this amazing looking old world, English-style tavern dedicated to table top games and craft beers should be open by then. EDIT: just throwing it out there, I understand it might not be worth it logistically, especially if not too many people are interested.

I was born in Fort Collins and haven't been there in 22 years so I'm going there regardless of whether it's before, after, or during the meetup. I'll definitely have to check this place out and would love to do it during the meetup.

Sarah Noel

Quote from: Ftiafpi on March 31, 2015, 06:41:22 PM
I was born in Fort Collins and haven't been there in 22 years so I'm going there regardless of whether it's before, after, or during the meetup. I'll definitely have to check this place out and would love to do it during the meetup.

Awesome, that makes two of us! I don't think I'll be staying after the meet up, but if you think you'd like to visit before/during we should put our heads together to work out some sort of cab/designated driver system.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Sarah Noel on April 02, 2015, 10:10:18 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on March 31, 2015, 06:41:22 PM

Awesome, that makes two of us! I don't think I'll be staying after the meet up, but if you think you'd like to visit before/during we should put our heads together to work out some sort of cab/designated driver system.

Yeah, next weekend I'm going to do the hard planning of ordering airline tickets and car rentals. I can definitely help coordinate driving.