Started by Raiden, March 02, 2015, 02:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wind12

Irayo!!!! So no pressure! ;) ;)

I'm looking forward to getting out there and experiencing "tsatsenge" :)

Toruk Makto

For supplies, there is a Super WalMart (I know, *gag*, *retch*) in Alamosa on the way to the cabin. Alamosa is a neat little town with all the usual refinements, including restaurants and shopping. There is also an excellent local microbrewery for those that would like to pick up some local ales to bring up. It is about an hour and a half from the cabin to WalMart, so choose supplies judiciously.

I still haven't found a local place to rent ATVs. However, if anyone wants to buy one and leave it at the cabin, I won't complaint a bit (*chortle*)!

As for transportation, I'll have to mention right up front that I am not going to be able to provide a lot of taxi service for getting around, but this board is a good place for folks to get together to plan for rides. I will be leading some tours to scenic and popular places if we want to caravan around some.  There is a lot of great trail hiking in the area that we can arrange transport to and from the trailheads for.

The question of drinking water came up and I have to mention that unless you are camping up in Horse Thief Park or Treasure Canyon, the water in the Alamosa river cannot be purified safely because it contains naturally occurring copper, tin and other metals from old mines and natural seeps. Further up near the headwaters of the river, the water can be purified to drink. If you will be in the Nat'l Forest campgrounds, you can get VERY good drinking water from a public spring in Jasper, but you will have to have something to store it in. I will have a bunch of plastic gallon containers if folks need them.

More to come later...

-M.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Wind12

I asked for the 16th of July through the 29th off for the trip, is the 16th early enough to ensure that I will be there in time for camping and any possible hiking? (i.e. if the hiking is before the camping portion??) Irayo.

Toruk Makto

I will not be at the cabin until the 17th. The official start of the pre-meet camping bit is the 18th.

Wind12

Irayo :) I was just being exta cautious to make sure I wasn't going to limit myself on time :)

Toruk Makto

If you get there on Friday, you can help get the cabin opened and ready!  (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...)    ;)  :D

Wind12

My tentative goal is to fly in sometime on that Friday, but I am waiting to find out what my riding situation is going to be, I'll be tagging along with TrueLoveForNeytiri again this year :) :) :)

Toruk Makto

Ma eylan,

I am pondering setting up an optional day trip to Valley View Hot Springs during the pre-meet camping, if there is sufficient interest. It would be a one day road trip sort of thing, leaving at 7:00am, returning about 12:00mid. It's about 3.5 hours each way, but well worth the drive time if you like hot springs. I would be driving, but only have room for 3 or 4 more people. More vehicles could probably be arranged if enough people want to go.

Valley View is part of the Orient Land Trust at the northern end of the San Luis Valley on thousands of acres of land set aside as a preserve. There are several natural pools fed by springs as well as hiking and sightseeing. There is also the bat cave where dwells the largest colony of migratory bats in the US. The trip is worth it just for the bats, IMO. A note (in case it is important to you) is that the whole place is clothing optional. I would need to know pretty soon how many people would be interested, since I would need to let Valley View know how many are coming at least six weeks out.

So, good idea? Bad idea?

Check out the OLT website at http://www.olt.org for more details.

- Markì

Sarah Noel

I'm on board with all that. Sign me up.  ;D

Wind12

HRH  ;D  ;D

July is getting closer!! :)

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Raiden

Quote from: Toruk Makto on April 07, 2015, 02:45:12 PM
Ma eylan,

I am pondering setting up an optional day trip to Valley View Hot Springs during the pre-meet camping, if there is sufficient interest. It would be a one day road trip sort of thing, leaving at 7:00am, returning about 12:00mid. It's about 3.5 hours each way, but well worth the drive time if you like hot springs. I would be driving, but only have room for 3 or 4 more people. More vehicles could probably be arranged if enough people want to go.

Valley View is part of the Orient Land Trust at the northern end of the San Luis Valley on thousands of acres of land set aside as a preserve. There are several natural pools fed by springs as well as hiking and sightseeing. There is also the bat cave where dwells the largest colony of migratory bats in the US. The trip is worth it just for the bats, IMO. A note (in case it is important to you) is that the whole place is clothing optional. I would need to know pretty soon how many people would be interested, since I would need to let Valley View know how many are coming at least six weeks out.

So, good idea? Bad idea?

Check out the OLT website at http://www.olt.org for more details.

- Markì

Sounds cool!

Quote from: Toruk Makto on April 07, 2015, 02:45:12 PMthe whole place is clothing optional

>.>

<.<

(just kidding...mostly)

This sounds cool, but admittedly I'm mostly interested in seeing the bats, if we can get in; there has been a zoonotic epidemic disease affecting bats in the US (caused by an introduced fungus from Europe), and as such many bat-supporting caves have been closed to the public. So long as this is not the case, I am very interested.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Toruk Makto

OLT and Colorado Wildlife are deathly afraid of White Nose syndrome, so nobody goes into the mine. However, the bats all fly out through the collapsed roof and people can watch from outside. It's a fantastic sight.  :)

Raiden

Okay, we've finally solidified the details for the camping trip this year:

Dates: Saturday, July 18th - Wednesday, July 22nd (departure day)

Location: Rio Grande National Forest - Alamosa River Campground

New Location: Toruk Makto's cabin property - see posts further down

The camping trip will start on Saturday, July 18th and run until the morning of Wednesday, July 22nd. Saturday the 18th will be the "arrival day", and will serve as a buffer day for people who may be taking a late flight or people who experience a travel delay. Tuesday night will be the last night at the site, and we will depart early Wednesday morning to meet the others in Estes Park. If you wish to attend the camping trip, you will need transportation to the campsite and back to Estes Park. There will be several people with cars who will probably have space to accommodate some people; we will be implementing a transportation column to the website (like last year) to assist people in finding transportation, and we will be willing to help people find rides, but it is important to note that it is ultimately your own responsibility to find transportation to the campsite.  

In addition to the campsite, our gracious admin, Mark, is willing to offer his cabin to a limited number of people who would either prefer a cabin to tent camping or do not have a tent. Details of how this will be arranged are coming very soon, but it is important that people who have the necessary equipment and want to come camping bring a tent so that anyone who would need the cabin can make use of it.

If you are planning to use the campsite, the following equipment should be considered mandatory:

- Tent

- Sleeping Bag (or other sleeping arrangement)

- Flashlight/Headlamp (LED headlamps are relatively affordable and very useful...)

- Water bottle (should be 32 oz. capacity/1 L capacity minimum Colorado is a very dry place, and something like 48-72 oz./2-3 L would be far superior)

- Hiking shoes/boots

- Insect repellant (may not be necessary)

- Sunscreen (we will be at some altitude, so if you are fair-skinned this is an absolute necessity)

- Sturdy clothing that will stand up to the wear and tear of a camping trip and keep you warm at night

Some possible activities include a visit to some natural hot springs, a superfund site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summitville_mine), sand dunes, night hikes, swimming, and more. We'll be providing food, but for the sake of efficiency and avoiding food waste, all attendees will be responsible for their own snacks and drinks (other than water). We'll be providing breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, plus s'mores for the last night, but anything else will be up to the attendees. We will also be sure to provide vegan/vegetarian/allergen-conscious meals for those with specialized dietary preferences and/or food allergies.

As previously noted, we will be adding camping and transportation columns to the website soon, so check back and make sure to sign up for the camping trip if you want to participate.

Toruk Makto

A couple of things that popped into my head as a follow-up to Raiden's post...

Confirming, even in July, the nights are chilly, or even cold in these mountains. Bring enough stuff to stay warm. The Alamosa river water is quite cold, but wading and even swimming is possible. For water, I'll bring some 5 gallon bottles that we can bring water from the spring in for communal use, but have your own water bottles, too -  especially for hiking.

For folks that want to stay at my place, you will need to bring a sleeping bag. I have several folding cots that we can set up in the living room and loft. Also, please bring food to contribute to the pantry. We have a fire pit that is great for hotdogs, marshmallows and smores, so bring em! We'll have the fire pit going every night and all are welcome to join us. By virtue of the solar power system, the cabin has normal water, AC power and satellite Internet WiFi, so any campers that want to check email, update Facebook or need a hot shower and can get a ride, you're welcome. It's about a 15 to 20 minute drive from the Alamosa campground to the cabin. I will have very limited ability to drive folks around, so try to coordinate your transport as needed.

One guided field trip I will be leading will be to the Summitville superfund remediation site. It's a stark and sobering sight to see what greedy people and corporations have done, and are doing to our world. It's about an hour from the cabin. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summitville_mine  http://snobear.colorado.edu/Markw/Intro/Summitville/summitville.html

More later...

Wind12

Irayo for all the info ma frapo!!

Toruk Makto

As my wife so ably just reminded me, there is also an apartment space above the cabin's garage with a bunkbed and more sleeping room. You have to climb a ladder to get up there, but it's easy access, otherwise. Major premise is that there's lots of room for folks. :)    

Some other ideas...  We can make a trip to the little town of Platoro, which is about an hour west of the cabin on the other side of Stunner Pass. There is a little country store there with a restaurant that has the BEST pizza. Some of the best trout fishing in Colorado is there also, on the Conejos river (have to get a license at the store).

A really nice hike is the trail to Treasure Canyon. It's about 6 miles, round trip. Rather spectacular vistas on that one. There is a very scenic waterfall on Wightman Fork that is literally less than 200 yards from the road that we can visit. On the way to Summitville, we can stop off to the trail that runs along the Continental Divide, which is on the way. Again, these are just ideas right now and nothing is mandatory. Most of these places will require a vehicle to get to, since as I said, distances in the mountains can be surprising. We'll definitely want to coordinate available transportation.

-M.

Alan

Remember to take loads of video and photos as I won't be going camping, but I can add them to the meet up video. :)

Alan

Toruk Makto

[smg id=6383]

"Glory hole" bat cave at OLT. The bats fly out through the collapsed roof of the mine. Hundreds of thousands of them. It's an amazing sight.

Raiden

Quote from: Toruk Makto on May 06, 2015, 11:35:12 AM
[smg id=6383]

"Glory hole" bat cave at OLT. The bats fly out through the collapsed roof of the mine. Hundreds of thousands of them. It's an amazing sight.

I've seen something like this once before, and I'd like to add that it really is incredible, and not something that many people get the chance to see. Count me in.

I do have a question, though:

Quote from: Toruk Makto on April 07, 2015, 02:45:12 PM
the whole place is clothing optional

What does this mean, exactly?

Does it mean that it's essentially like a nudist camp, or are you just referring to the hot springs? I just think it's worthwhile to make sure that anyone who wants to go to the OLT knows that we may be met with varying quantities of naked people. I don't think we have any minors (according to US law) coming, but I don't want to subject someone to that without informing them in case it would be an issue.

EDIT: Never mind, I answered my own questions.

Guys and gals; if we do go to the OLT, there will very likely be a lot of naked people. If this offends you in any way, please be advised; we will make sure there is an alternative activity for anyone who decides not to come.

http://www.olt.org/community/naturism

Which means that I'll probably have to put up with it if I wanna see the bats     @__________@