Started by Alan, February 28, 2015, 03:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I won't know for a couple of days how this is all going to work. But in some offline discussions with Sìkat, it sounds like I might be doing the camping part as well. This trip will still be relatively inexpensive, and may be less than the LA trip last summer. I will take the train to Denver and back (Same trail Alan will be taking, but from the other direction :) ). The train is a fun, relaxing, relatively inexpensive way to travel here.

Ma Alan, you should consider coming out to the San Francisco Bay area/Sacramento/Reno instead, and taking the train from there, rather than from Chicago. The stretch between Sacramento to Denver is considered the most scenic part of the entire Amtrak system.

Ma Vamataw, I look forward to your being able to come when you are old enough. It isn't nearly as expensive as you think.

Ma Tirea Aean sì Txur'itan, I wish there was a way I could help, like last year. But this trip is logistically a little more difficult, and I doubt I can do what I did last year. (I need to convince the planning committee to do a future AvatarMeet at Great Basin National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park, Death Valley National Park, or Red Rock Canyon State Park (outside of 'Vegas)! )

For the actual meetup, is this going to be at a hotel, or is this camping as well?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Kaltxi ma frapo, ma tsmukan, ma tsmuke

Unfortunately, is cannot come this year. due to financial instability and the fact that I live in Australia, so if I wanted to come (WHICH I DO SO MUCH!!!) it would consist of:
2 international flights (from and back)
2 interstate flights (to get to the closest city that does international flights)
food costs
accommodation costs
public transport costs
extra (spending money ;D )

I'm looking at several thousand dollars, so I can't go this year, but I look forward and am saving for next years Avatarmeet.
make sure to take heaps of photos for me though!!

Kiyevame
Ulte
Eywa ngahu

ta Tstewa Ikrantsyìp
Mega - Na'vi - Booklet - Project (One Book to Rule Them All)
Unofficial Na'vi survey
Na'vi - Sign - Language - Project

Na'vi - Language - Book - Project

Toruk Makto

I have a cabin in the Rio Grande National Forest that will be available as either a home base for people tent camping and exploring the area, or as a place to stay during the pre-meet. Check out the camping thread for more info!

-Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Vawmataw

QuoteMa Vawmataw, I look forward to your being able to come when you are old enough. It isn't nearly as expensive as you think.
That would be good. :)
It's going to be my annual treat of the year 20XY. If there will be a camping trip (hiking and wonderful landscapes are mandatory), I surely will participate.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Ali'ìmalu

There is a slim chance I might be able to somehow magically scare up the funds for this.  Would definitely be easier with a roommate though.  :P

Okay, so for someone who's never taken a vacation (yeah, literally since grade school), I really have no idea how to look into this.  It's at Estes Park CO, but there are like seven hotels/lodgings to choose from.  :o ???

I also keep hearing something about a roll call thread?  

*fails*

Ngaytxoat oel skxawng.
Sorry I'm a moron.

Tirea Aean

IMO, the best way to look into and sign up for AvatarMeet is http://avatarmeet.com :)

EDIT: you can register and login to the site and sign up for roll call and see who else is going, but the information for AM2015 is sort of limited so far; I think they are still writing the web pages in with content as the planning is unfolding.

Alan

Kaltxì ma frapo!

Sorry I've been a bit on the quiet side.  Sometimes life gets in the way....well work anyway!

I'll try and cover some of the points raised above:

@ CyanRachel - Irayo nìtxan for your kind words about the teaser trailer.  It was fun making it.  Yeah, it will be my first visit there too.  Looking forward to it.

@ Txur'Itan - Sorry to here your out of work ma tsmukan.  Really hope that changes real soon for you.

@ Tìtstewan, Tirea Aean, Vawmataw, Tstewa Ikrantsyìp - Sorry to hear it is unlikely you will be able to make it to the meetup.  All I can say it, even if you can't make it to one next year, save your pennies, because we really do need to have an amazing meet up for the premiere of 'Avatar 2' in 2017.  Keep focused on that and imagine a whole cinema full of us watching and sharing the experience together....

@ Ftiafpi - Yay!  It'll be great to see you again.  Campfire duties again? ;)

@ Seze - That's excellent - a local.  I think there are a few Avatar fans dotted around Denver/Colorado.

@ 'Eylan Ayfalulukanä - Ahhh...irayo for the suggestion of travelling from San Francisco.  Unfortunately I've book the tickets now.  I guess I will just have to do that one sometime...and pester Prrton whilst I'm there ;)

@ WildDreamer - That would be great if you can make it.  To help us with the planning you need to add your name to the roll cal here.  You can also sign up for the newsletter here.  The previous newsletters can be viewed here.  Hope that helps.

General answers to questions raised:

The pre-meet activities are camping in Jasper, which is about a 5 hour drive from Denver heading south.  There is a thread covering the planning and Markì linked to above.  For those who what to do a bit of sight seeing in Denver, then a few of us will be there prior to the actual meet up.  I'll be arriving on the Monday morning.

As for travelling to Estes Park from Denver, we are looking into a shuttle service that runs from Denver to Estes Park.  But we will need to know numbers.

We are looking at hotels for the stay in Estes Park.  Again, the sooner we know numbers (if we could muster a roll call of 20 or more we can go for a group discount, assuming two people to a room) the better.  As at previous meet ups people have room shared to reduce costs.

There is a free bus service in Estes Park (see here) and I suspect we may well be taking advantage of it.

Hope that provides some information for you.  If you have any questions fire away and I'll see if I can answer them for you.

Eywa ngahu,

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Alan, all of that information is appreciated!

The big bugaboo right now is the camping part. The ability to take the train makes camping a lot easier. But the timing of the train is poor compared to rental car availability, etc. Still working on it, but I am probably going to end up flying out. Very good airfares right now, but camping, if even possible, will require a lot more planning.

For those interested, There is a first-rate renaissance fair in the Denver area that runs on the weekends in summer. Both Sìkat and I have attended this fair on more than one occasion, and hope to go this time, as well.

Yawey ngahu!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Alan on March 05, 2015, 03:03:07 PM
@ Ftiafpi - Yay!  It'll be great to see you again.  Campfire duties again? ;)

Hah, sure thing. I'm flying in so I can't bring the pots and pans this year. Someone else perhaps?

Sarah Noel

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 06, 2015, 04:11:11 PM
For those interested, There is a first-rate renaissance fair in the Denver area that runs on the weekends in summer. Both Sìkat and I have attended this fair on more than one occasion, and hope to go this time, as well.
This is good to know. How big is it? Might be worth flying in the weekend before if funds allow.

Sìkat

It's been almost a dozen years since I last attended it, but I seem to remember it being pretty good-sized.

Vawmataw

QuoteIt's been almost a dozen years since I last attended it
Dozen?!
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Here's a link to the event's website:

http://coloradorenaissance.com/

I was last there in 2011. A friend of mine was an actor there, until a new manager changed some things, and eliminated his position. I was getting to to be known enough by the cast I was able to join them for dinner one night in the 2012 visit. I miss those days! My friend has since moved out of the area.

In any case, they have everything from glassblowing and pottery, blacksmithing, music, stage shows, jousting and swordfighting, a petting zoo (and sometimes, big cats!), lots of cosplay, and even simultaneous chess games. And shopping, shopping, shopping! And yes, I will be there the weekend before whether I am able to attend the fair, or not.

Yawey ngahu!

Sìkat

Quote from: Vawmataw on March 09, 2015, 04:00:52 PM
QuoteIt's been almost a dozen years since I last attended it
Dozen?!

I apologize, I should have made things more clear.  I attended the event in 2001 and 2002, which was *long* before I'd even heard of Avatar.   Regardless, if I can do so, I'm gonna attend :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

My big problem right now is finding the quality time needed to work through several itinerary scenarios, and see which one work the best. The last three days especially, have been exceptionally chaotic.

Yawey ngahu!

Sìkat

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 10, 2015, 03:32:07 PM
My big problem right now is finding the quality time needed to work through several itinerary scenarios, and see which one work the best. The last three days especially, have been exceptionally chaotic.

I haven't been doing much better, unfortunately.  :/

Tirea Aean

Why do we never try to organize a central carpool or mass-transport program for getting people from the airport to the campsite for cheap? 

EDIT:

Quote from: Seze on March 02, 2015, 03:45:36 PM
I currently live near Denver, so I will definitely be showing up for some of the festivities.  I may be able to help drive people over from DIA, depending on when people arrive. 

Hey! Ma Seze, If I were to scrounge for a flight, do you think you could pick me up? First I need to secure funds. Which can /probably/ be done between now and July. We can work out a time right before I would book the flight.

If I can secure a means of getting around without needing to rent a car, my chances of making this will increase.

Alan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on March 16, 2015, 10:49:40 AM
Why do we never try to organize a central carpool or mass-transport program for getting people from the airport to the campsite for cheap? 

Errrr...well, we have in the past.  In 2012 I organised a mini bus to take some of us from Seattle airport to Sol Duc campsite.  2013 was a car pool job from Washington to Shenandoah and last year...well I tried to get a group bus to take us to Lightstorm, but it would have cost a kilo of unobtainium!  So we ended up doing the car thing, which is not as enviro friendly, but hey that's the world we live in.

I'm not sure what Raiden and Aketuan are planning to get folks to Jasper, which is about a five hour ride south from Denver, but I'm sure they'll get things sorted for car pooling.  If there are a number flying in for the Jasper camp it might be worth going for a 7 seater to reduce the costs?

For anyone staying in Denver for a bit of sight seeing or just arriving at the airport to go straight to Estes Park we going to try our best to organise a shuttle.    There is actually a scheduled shuttle from the airport to Estes as it happens, but I need to do a bit more research.  In Estes there is actually a free bus service!

It would help if we knew numbers for both the Jasper Camp and those wishing to travel from Denver so we can get the wheels rolling...as it were ;) ;D

Alan

Ftiafpi

I'm still working on my transportation options and what I will be doing during the meetup (and before and after). But, I will likely have a rental car so I may be able to give a ride or two.

Tirea Aean

Ok so If I understand correctly....

The MAIN AvatarMeet 2015 Event will be:
Wednesday July 22nd - Sunday July 26th
Estes Park, CO
Which is a place ~90mi. NW of Denver
(where most people will probably be flying in to land)

The CAMPING PRE-MEET Event will be:
Saturday, July 18th -  Wednesday, July 22nd
Rio Grande Forest, CO
which is a place ~4hours S of Denver

Which means that the total possible meetup event is:
Saturday, July 18th - Sunday July 26th
And the Main Event Location is ~90 mi + 4 hrs away from the Camping Location.
....which is a quite Sizeable distance and travel time.

What are All of the Transportations options currently worked out? Can we make a Camping+Transport Spreadsheet like last year?

** note to self  **
* I need to figure out:
* Airfare (nbd)
* Means of transport from Denver to Campsite (4 hr drivetime South)
* Means of lodging at the campsite
* Means of transportation from Campsite to the Main Event Location (4 hr drivetime North + 90 miles NW)
* Means of lodging at Main Event Location
* Calculate Total Minimum Price to be payed by me in order to make all of the above possible.
** end note to self **

Quote from: Ftiafpi on March 16, 2015, 06:30:56 PM
I'm still working on my transportation options and what I will be doing during the meetup (and before and after). But, I will likely have a rental car so I may be able to give a ride or two.

NICE. Are you going to rent a car when you land in Denver and drive to the campsite? If so, This would be a perfect means for A) us to meet in person for the first time ever and hang out while going there and B) to save money and number of cars on the road. :D