Started by Alan, February 28, 2015, 03:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkowilson

We just got the hotel stuff figured out and are in the process of getting that info ready to post in the next couple of days, hang tight!

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Wind12

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
can't wait for the message to come through the tree of voices to my queue  ;) ;)

Alan

*Alan poking his head up  :D

Kaltxì ma frapo.  Sorry for being a little quiet here.  We have been working on things in the background and as Mikko mentions, we will be posting information in a few days.  We now have the hotel sorted and are just collating all the info together to roll it out.

Quote from: Sìkat on April 23, 2015, 06:29:12 PM
ARGH!

Sorry, folks; I'm not going to be able to make it to AvatarMeet this year.

Whaaaaat?  No Sìkat?  :(

I just learned today that I have both cubital and carpal tunnel syndrome. (The cubital is basically the elbow version of carpal) Both will need surgery, but I'm only having the elbow done because I haven't had any problems with my wrist.  The surgery is going to require me to be out of work for 3-4 days.  That alone would have precluded me from attending this year, but I don't even know how much of a dent this surgery is going to make in my bank account.

Sorry to hear about that.  Don't you get sick leave or sick pay?  Well I hope it all comes good for you ma tsmukan.

I have a personal favor to ask: would any of you be interested in using my GoPro to record additional video?  If so, PM me your address, and I'll send it to you....

Seems like you already have offers.  I will be filming again all being well for the Avatar family video album.  If its ok with you, it would be great to incorporate some of the footage into the video.  It's good to get a different perspective and share it.

If the bandwidth is available, I'd also like to give a shout-out to all of you over Skype (or at least over the telephone) just before you watch the movie, and after that's done, I'll also watch the movie.

That would be great.  Hopefully Skype will work as the hotel boasts 'free high speed Wi-Fi', but then I guess they would and it's probably all relative if the usual service is down a piece of string!

Well, sorry you can't make it in person Sìkat, but hopefully you will be there through the power of modern electrickery.  If not, you'll have the videos.  Take care ma tsmukan.

Alan

[/quote]

Aww, ma tsmukan.  Sorry to hear you have cubital and carpal tunnel syndrome. 

Sìkat

Sorry to hear about that.  Don't you get sick leave or sick pay?  Well I hope it all comes good for you ma tsmukan.

My company considers sick & vacation time to be the same, and my surgery pretty much exhausted it all.

Seems like you already have offers.  I will be filming again all being well for the Avatar family video album.  If its ok with you, it would be great to incorporate some of the footage into the video.  It's good to get a different perspective and share it.

It's fine with me :)

That would be great.  Hopefully Skype will work as the hotel boasts 'free high speed Wi-Fi', but then I guess they would and it's probably all relative if the usual service is down a piece of string!

Well, sorry you can't make it in person Sìkat, but hopefully you will be there through the power of modern electrickery.  If not, you'll have the videos.  Take care ma tsmukan.

I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't have at least a cable-grade connection, if not better.

Aww, ma tsmukan.  Sorry to hear you have cubital and carpal tunnel syndrome. 

It's OK; I've always known that I run the risk of getting something like this, considering I've been banging away on keyboards for 30+ years.  It sucks, but as the saying goes: it happens.

As for the GoPro, I'm fine with folks passing it around.  I'm going to be sending it to Markì as the date draws near, along with a BacPac (LCD touchscreen with an additional battery).  It has a 64gb MiniSD card, which will capture over 8 hours of footage in my typical configuration.  I'll also throw in a 1tb external HD for storing the video.  You'll need the GoPro Studio application to download stuff, but it's free at gopro.com.  A side benefit of this is that it'll be very easy to give Alan the footage, should you desire to do so; just try to keep track of who shot what.

The BacPac should allow you to easily configure the camera.  If not, there's a GoPro smartphone app you can use for that purpose.  It's available on the respective app stores for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.  Of course, you can do configuration on the camera itself but it's a pain in the neck ;)  (The camera is a GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition, if I don't include the manual)

I should point out that if you want to mount the camera on something other than the chest mount I'm sending along, you're going to have a devilishly hard time dismounting it.  I remember having to get help from Mikko and `Eylan Ayfalulukanä (and possibly others) trying to get that thing dismounted.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Things are still very iffy for me. One big challenge is past. The garage has a new roof on it, and the project came in exactly on budget (plus they did a first-rate job!). This coming weekend, a furry friend of mine has to undergo surgery. Due to her age, she may not make it. If that happens, I will likely have a rather large taxidermy bill on my hands (and I really hope she makes it!). Another furry friend is showing his age, and could suddenly give me some big vet bills. Either of these will push me from being on the hairy edge of affording AvatarMeet to not being able to even consider it. Even then, I will have to have some side income to pay especially for transportation to/from Colorado. I may get some work, I may not. You never know, but chances are better than not I will have some contract work.

As far as transportation, I have to decide to travel by air or train by early June, or any hope of getting a reasonably-priced ticket will be gone. I can make a decision to drive up until maybe a week or two before the event, but it is a major trip, involving two days of driving each way (with a midpoint stop at Great Basin National Park, where we should do AvatarMeet someday)(And its not that this wouldn't be a thoroughly enjoyable drive-- it goes through some of the most beautiful mountain country in the lower 48 states!).

And related to transportation is vacation time. I have a vacation arrangement similar to what Sìkat has, although it is quite generous. However, I have had to use a lot of vacation time earlier in the year for various (mostly good) things. Sometime between now and AvatarMeet, I will likely have solar panels installed on my garage (thus the roof repairs). This may require I take off 1-2 days to be around for the work. That may be just enough to leave me with limited time for AvatarMeet travel. And this is especially true if I decide to drive, which requires an extra day on either end of the trip.

I really do want to attend, so I am taking a "can do" attitude on this, but at the same time trying to be realistic about what is and isn't possible. It may be I just show up and register on the spot :)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alan

Sìkat - That's just pants your company considers sick and vacation holiday as the same.  Well, hope you get better real soon.

Sounds like we should be able to get some good footage with your GoPro.  So if I was to get the GoPro App for my iPhone, will I be able to download the footage onto my phone?  If so that would be great!  I doubt I will be able to bring my laptop with me due to not having enough space with my video camera and all.

Ma 'Eylan - Hope your furry friends make it through.  I know they mean a lot to you.  We also hope you can make it to the meet up too!

Alan

Sìkat

Quote from: Alan on May 06, 2015, 03:42:58 PM
Sìkat - That's just pants your company considers sick and vacation holiday as the same.  Well, hope you get better real soon.

Sounds like we should be able to get some good footage with your GoPro.  So if I was to get the GoPro App for my iPhone, will I be able to download the footage onto my phone?  If so that would be great!  I doubt I will be able to bring my laptop with me due to not having enough space with my video camera and all.

Ma 'Eylan - Hope your furry friends make it through.  I know they mean a lot to you.  We also hope you can make it to the meet up too!

Alan

I haven't tried it but I don't think you can use the app to download the footage to your phone.  However, you can use GoPro Studio to download the video to your computer, and from there transfer it to your phone.

Ma 'Eylan -- ditto.  I'm pulling for you & your furry friends.  If you're able to go, have a great time!

-Sìkat

Wind12

I hope all goes well with your furry friends ma 'Eylan, and I hope they fix your condition Sìkat, it is a shame that a company does that.

I can't wait to see you guys again, as soon as True and I figure out financials, and riding situation we can buy our plane tickets( we are planning on making the camping portion) :) :)

Sìkat

I've just received some REALLY good news.  The total cost of the surgery is turning out to be less than a third of what I thought it'd be (less than $1,000), which I can easily swing.

My employer rolls vacation & sick time into the same category, but there's a 2nd category of "personal time" which you receive on your anniversary date.  This was recently increased from 3 days to 5.  In my deep funk over (among other depressing circumstances) needing surgery, I let myself forget that.  My anniversary date is 10 July, right before the meetup.

On top of that, I have my tax refund.  Not much, but a respectable 3 figures.

I'm going to talk to my boss about it on Friday, and if I can secure his approval in advance for the personal time (which shouldn't be a problem), I'll start running the numbers.  If necessary, I'll start Craigslisting or eBaying some electronics stuff that I haven't used in a while and really need to clear out.

*crosses fingers*

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Meanwhile, things for me just got worse. The surgery, which was scheduled for this weekend has been moved to next week. I will have to 'burn' a vacation day for this now :(

Yawey ngahu!

Alan

Quote from: Sìkat on May 06, 2015, 07:25:58 PM
I haven't tried it but I don't think you can use the app to download the footage to your phone.  However, you can use GoPro Studio to download the video to your computer, and from there transfer it to your phone.
-Sìkat

I'll look into it.  I won't be able to bring my laptop, but if someone else does I'm sure I'll be able to transfer the footage onto an SD card or something.

Quote from: Sìkat on May 06, 2015, 08:55:43 PM
I've just received some REALLY good news.  The total cost of the surgery is turning out to be less ...

I'm going to talk to my boss about it on Friday, and if I can secure his approval in advance for the personal time (which shouldn't be a problem), I'll start running the numbers....

That's excellent news.  :D  Hope it all comes good and your arm is getting better.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 07, 2015, 03:48:13 AM
Meanwhile, things for me just got worse. The surgery, which was scheduled for this weekend has been moved to next week. I will have to 'burn' a vacation day for this now :(

Oh dear.  Fingers crossed for you ma tsmukan. :)

Alan

Tirea Aean

I kinda won't be making it this year. I'm joining the U.S. Air Force.

Hope aynga have a kosmana time in Colorado!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Keftxoa fìʼu nìtxan lu nìʼaw Ma Tirea, you will be missed!

Does this mark the beginning of the end of Tirea Aean?

Yawey ngahu!

Alan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 08, 2015, 02:14:56 AM
Keftxoa fìʼu nìtxan lu nìʼaw Ma Tirea, you will be missed!

Does this mark the beginning of the end of Tirea Aean?

Me thinks more like teaching the U.S. Air Force Na'vi ;)

All the very best Tirea.  Send us a postcard when you get your Ikran.  Hope you still get to check in on LN once in a while.  Eywa ngahu frakrr ma tsmukan.

Alan

BlueHusky2154

I can't be at AvatarMeet this year.  :'(
I'm returning to the States from Europe one day after the event kicks off.
Hope you guys who are going have a fun time!  :)
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Tirea Aean

Tirea Aean will NEVER die. Even if I'm the last one here, I will be here until the end. You all are smuk to me. I may be gone a lot, but I'm always around. Watching and waiting. I will have time. Eventually. :)

Wind12

Ma Tirea, Oe sìlpey tsnì ngaru lu tìflä.

Ftiafpi

Shame so many people can't make it this year...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Good to hear you will still be able to participate, ma Tirea.

Ma Ftiafpì, the smaller group should make for some opportunities to get to know each other better. I know I would love to hear more about your engineering exploits!

Yawey ngahu!

Sìkat

Unless someone really wants me to, I don't think I'm bringing much electronics stuff with me other than my iOS devices, DSLR, and MacBook Pro.  One thing I definitely will be bringing is Cards Against Humanity.  By then I should have located that list of Avatar-related cards and transcribed it onto actual cards :)