Interest in Cosplay?

Started by Sarah Noel, June 02, 2015, 02:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Noel

I wanted to get a general interest in how many people want to cosplay this year and on what day? Options would realistically be Thursday or Saturday. However, looking through the roll call, I notice most of the people who normally cosplay are not attending this year. If interest is low it might make more sense to skip it. Thoughts?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

This is an interesting meetup in the sense that things like transportation and logistics are big challenges for most folk. There is no central theme or Avatar-related central event. I think this meetup is going to end up more about the community getting together and just enjoying being with each other. (The next severl meetups are likely to center around Avatar-themed events, like the Disney theme park, the traveling exhibition and the traveling Cirque show, plus (finally!) the arrival of the sequels. These are likely to be well-attended.)

I finally have nearly everything I need to do a real cosplay, but the motivation just doesn't seem to be there this year. A motivator is definitely needed.

2012 was the standout year for me in terms of cosplay. That cosplay effort was highly organized, and offered a place where sute could be mass-produced. Since a considerable amount of effort goes into doing a good cosplay, we should see if that kind of organization can be mustered again, if not this year, certainly next year. We should also have areas to do this where the attendant mess wouldn't be so hard to deal with.

Its not too late to organize something for this year. What might be intriguing for this year, with the lower and less experienced-at-cosplay attendance, would be to make this into a workshop year, where sute can learn how to do it, and not be quite as concerned about first-class results. We would be cosplaying for ourselves and not so much for the public. It would be best to actually do two parallel workshops, one for sutan and one for suté.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Sarah Noel

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 02, 2015, 03:14:28 PM
A motivator is definitely needed.
Ha, I definitely agree with this. I'm not really feeling up to doing the works either this year. Looking at the roll call, you, me, Moco Loco and HumanNoMore are the only ones that have previously cosplayed. I'm not sure if those two are planning on cosplaying either.

I like the idea of another workshop, with less people than 2012, it can definitely be less formal than that workshop, but more hands on. I'm picturing something like friends at a picnic table.

I don't have the funds to provide enough materials for a lot of people, but if it's just a small thing, and I bring whatever left over paints I already have, people can work on practicing painting. Since paint supplies are limited, maybe sticking to more of an avatar cosplay coverage of arms/legs/face instead of almost-everything na'vi coverage could be good?

This comes with bonus of reducing trepidation from possible participants about body painting in mixed-gendered company. (Though personally, I'd have few reservations) I'd dislike missing out on a possible tip from another painter because our genders are different, or vice versa.

If we don't want to get messy, or practicing paint is too much hassle for whatever other reason, we could work on accessory and jewelry making, I have ton extra stuff for that, and people could take their creations home after. I recently bought this book on macrame which I'm excited to start digging into.

EDIT: For future events, you're right, it would be nice to be able to offer a way to mass produce the body paint for attendees. I should look into buying airbrushes.

Alan

A mini workshop sounds really good.  It could be something everyone could have a go at, like paining Na'vi skin on your right arm (because the Na'vi are left handed ;) ).  Even I would be up for having a go at that.  The one with the best painted stripes wins a....PINEAPPLE!!!...which they then have to share with everyone  ;D

Quote from: Sarah Noel on June 04, 2015, 02:04:01 PM
EDIT: For future events, you're right, it would be nice to be able to offer a way to mass produce the body paint for attendees. I should look into buying airbrushes.

I have visions of a huge oil drum and blue paint being mixed over an open fire!  Hehehe.

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

All good ideas!

A partial cosplay is good because it doesn't involve hours of body painting, special staging areas, or the gender problem. It is also something nearly everyone who is interested can try, without having to commit to an elaborate setup or half a night getting ready.

The mass body painting of 2012 was a really great thing, but it only works if you are going to have enough people to make all the setup worthwhile.

Making accessories-- now there's a Txantsan idea! I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't benefit from this idea. These items are a lot of work, but only generally need to be made once. Some of us are not as skilled in making this sort of stuff, and could use the help/ideas/access to materials, etc. This also would work well in a smaller, less formal setting, like it looks like we will have this year.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Alan on June 04, 2015, 02:31:59 PM
A mini workshop sounds really good.  It could be something everyone could have a go at, like paining Na'vi skin on your right arm (because the Na'vi are left handed ;) ).  Even I would be up for having a go at that.  The one with the best painted stripes wins a....PINEAPPLE!!!...which they then have to share with everyone  ;D

Quote from: Sarah Noel on June 04, 2015, 02:04:01 PM

I have visions of a huge oil drum and blue paint being mixed over an open fire!  Hehehe.

Alan

This actually sounds like a super fun idea. I know little to nothing about Na'vi cosplay and this would be an interesting introduction and a great way for those who really enjoy the cosplay to have a little cosplay action without all the work of a full cosplay.