AvatarMeet 2016 in flux

Started by mikkowilson, April 18, 2016, 09:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


In response to new discriminatory laws in North Carolina; Cirque du Soleil has cancelled all their North Carolina shows, including the June 24th performance of TORUK that was to be the focus of AvatarMeet 2016.

Many of you have already seen Cirque du Soleil's post on facebook. "Cirque du Soleil believes in equality for all. It is a principle that guides us with both our employees and our customers. We behave as change agents to reach our ultimate goal of making a better world with our actions and our productions." This principal is of course in line with the themes of Avatar and the feelings of much if not all of the Avatar fan community. As saddened that we are that this situation has arisen, and while AvatarMeet remains a non-political organization; AvatarMeet agrees with Cirque du Soleil's ethics of respect for all and this action.

This obviously changes the plans for AvatarMeet 2016.

How the plans change is still unclear.

We know that there are many questions about how AvatarMeet will proceed, and unfortunately the planning team does not yet have all the answers. We are currently working with our contacts to explore the options open to the event; and until we know more, any speculation is too early to be constructive. As we move forward through this process, we will be as open and expedient as we can to keep everyone informed and resolve this to the best possible outcome.

While moving quickly to a resolution, we are following a process to ensure that we don't limit options unnecessarily by making any uninformed decisions. While this isn't the ideal time to be making likely quite large changes to the event, we do still have time for a course correction before the summer.

If you are compelled to take action on your own to cancel or change your travel plans, you are of course welcome to do so; however we will be working to help facilitate whatever the final outcome is for everyone. We are extremely aware that many people have already booked vacation time, hotel space, and made travel plans with limited change or cancellation options.

We have already been in contact with Lightstorm Entertainment and Cirque du Soleil, and they are working to help us also.

We have confirmed with the hotel that should the event plans change, our hotel bookings are all fully refundable for the time being, allowing us ample time to formulate a plan.

Though we don't yet have many answers; please be patient and don't hesitate to get in touch if you have specific concerns, or ideas, about how to proceed. We'll be posting more information as soon as we have more to share moving forward.

The first thing that everyone can do to help, is to confirm that your profile on AvatarMeet.com is up to date. The data in the Roll Call is critical for us as we evaluate the situation. Feel free to use the Notes field in your profile to let us know of any other issues we should be aware of.

Again, we are disappointed that this situation has arisen; but we are confident that together as a community we can rise above this challenge and continue to grow.

- The AvatarMeet planning team.
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387


Irayo nìtxan for the newsletter, from what I have read, the best option right now is to just wait a bit before making any moves? In terms of cancelling plane tickets or vacation time? My biggest concern is my place of work( if for example I get to mid May without cancelling my June time off, I may not be able to change if I had to) but for now I can just sit tight for at least a couple of weeks if that is the best option, I know alot of people are in the same boat, And I dont want to add to the pressure that is already there.
As for the Roll call, before the news came out I had updated that I had my flight and a hotel room( I was rooming with another person) do I keep that the same, even if the venue may change? and I may have to cancell the flight in the future.
Oel ngati kameie ma aysmuk.



Your analysis is correct that if you can wait, it's best to wait just a little as we figure out what the options are. Normally it's easier to change a plane ticket than cancel (and then re-book), for example.

And yes, we realize that unfortunately some people have less time to react than others. At this point the best we can do is basically tell everyone to hold (and not make new reservations), and hang tight for a moment.

As for Roll Call updates. The best data is the most accurate currently. So if you do cancel your flight, then please change that status on the roll call. We'll consider "no" on travel or hotel booked as meaning that issues with past bookings are resolved. So if we move the event for example, at that point we may very well go in an manually reset everyone's booking status to "no" as no one will have the new bookings made yet. Probably.

Once we know if the event is moving (it's still possible it won't [anything is possible]) then we'll provide information for how to best cancel the hotel, etc. We've already spoken with the hotel and they are aware of the situation. As with most hotel bookings; cancellation policies are generally liberal months in advance as we are.

So yeah, lots of moving parts; and the short version is that everything is liable to change (or stay the same), so no promises and best not to act right now if you can wait a little until we know how to act.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387


Irayo ma tsmukan!! That does help :) Will be keeping fingers crossed that things work out :)