Started by Alan, May 15, 2016, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

After a fair amount of background work the planning team is pleased to announce that AvatarMeet 2016 is on in Pittsburgh, PA!

Due to the limited availability of rooms at the hotel for group bookings, the 'formal' meet up will take place between Thursday, June 23rd to Sunday, June 26th.  However, there is currently some room availability on either side of these dates for which the group rate is still valid if you want to arrive early or stay later.

Hotel Information:
AvatarMeet's official hotel this year is Cambria hotel and suites, located at 1320 Centre Avenue Pittsburgh PA, next door to the CONSOL stadium where the Cirque du Soleil show, Toruk - The First Flight will be.

We have reserved 8 rooms for each night, although other rooms are subject to availability.

The group rate is 149.00 USD per night before tax, 447 USD for 3 nights, and includes breakfast. (Tax is 14% in total making a room rate of $170) Each room has a King size bed and a pull out couch to accommodate up to 4 people.   Parking is $18 per night and located between the hotel and the venue.

Dates:
The dates of our group booking are as follows:
Thursday June 23 through to Saturday June 25th, with Sunday morning being check out.

Days surrounding these dates can have the group rate applied, but are subject to availability.  At the time of writing 8 rooms were available on the Wednesday.

All the information you need to book your hotel room is on AvatarMeet.com

We've reset the Roll Call list at AvatarMeet.com with the change of location. This means if you signed up for AvatarMeet 2016 months ago, and still plan to go now, your profile will need updating. Keeping your profile up to date allows the planning team to have accurate date for number sensitive planning, like how many tickets we need for shows and other things involving hard numbers.

Looking forward to meeting you in Pittsburgh.  Makto ko!

Toruk Makto

Just a note, the marketing manager at the Cambria that does group block reservations will be back tomorrow (Monday) morning. So if you are like me and jumped up first thing to get a room, you'll have to be patient...  Like me...     ;)

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Alan

For some reason I had two messages, so I've removed one.

Regarding the Cambria Hotel reservation line it is open from 8am to 7pm local time in Pittsburgh which is -5 hrs/Eastern Time.  Remember there is more information on AvatarMeet.com

Alan

Toruk Makto

The LearnNavi main web page has been updated with the new info!

Alan

Cool.  Txantsan :)

Hopefully over the next few days we will get the Roll Call filled up.

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Does anyone know how long the Toruk show lasts?  The performance is at 8 PM, a potential time for the train home to leave is midnight. I would have to be at the train terminal by about 11 PM, and it is just a few blocks from the venue. That gives me about a three hour window to see the show, or else stay an additional day.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toruk Makto

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 17, 2016, 04:17:40 PM
Does anyone know how long the Toruk show lasts?  The performance is at 8 PM, a potential time for the train home to leave is midnight. I would have to be at the train terminal by about 11 PM, and it is just a few blocks from the venue. That gives me about a three hour window to see the show, or else stay an additional day.

The show is about 1.5 hours, but there are going to be some special activities for our group after the show. You may want to consider staying another day.

-M.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Irayo, ma Marki. I kind of figured as much, so here are the plans as they exist at this moment:

Arrive by train early Friday morning
All day Friday and Saturday, I would be available for official activities.
I would stay over Saturday night night (and my vacation time to do this was approved literally five minutes ago!).
Sunday, I would check out, and hopefully organize a trip to the Pittsburgh Zoo or some other venue/venues
Depart by train late Sunday evening.

The train ride is 2.5 days each way, with a surprisingly short segment between Chicago and Pittsburgh.
I will be packing very light on this trip.

So, I will need to find someone to share a room with Friday and Saturday night.

Nothing is cast in stone, yet.

Yawey ngahu!

Toruk Makto

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Looks like the train option is out. If I had been able to book even a week earlier, it may have worked. Absolute budget limit is $500 (and that's pushing it), current train cost: $499. It will likely  go up daily from here. This is too bad because the train option is nearly perfect in all other aspects.

Time to see how much it will really cost to change the airfare. But at the rate its going, everything is priced out of my reach :(

Plus, I don't see anyone looking to share a room. But that will likely change as more people sign up.

More and more, its looking like 'Eylan is not coming :(

UPDATE: Some interesting financial stuff happened overnight. So, I can't say its over 'till its over  :palulukan:

FURTHER UPDATE: I came home this evening, ready to book the train trip, when I found an email informing me of an important hearing happening during the train travel window. This hearing involves fighting for our rights to own and breed exotic animals in this county, and is a fight we must try to win, even though we are likely to lose. So, the train is completely out of the picture :( This leaves fixing the useless airline ticket to Raleigh as the only travel option. But because we usually have planning and strategy sessions leading up to these hearings, I suspect is is all over for me and AM 2016.

To make matters worse, a friend of mine who lost her lion over the weekend announced she is giving up on lions. There is just nothing but sad and bad news any more :( tsngerawvìk sngawpay palulukanä

Yawey ngahu!

Toruk Makto

I'm very sorry to hear this. Hope the hearing goes well at least.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

It is now official. I am standing down for the Pittsburgh meetup. I am extremely sad that this is how everything worked out in my life, but sometimes, one just gets overwhelmed, and the best thing to do is back down and regroup for the future. I hope you all have a really special experience seeing Toruk, the First Flight, and the fun you will have before and after. And of course, I think next years' meetup at Disneyworld should be txantsan frato!

I am giving serious thought to organizing a mini-meetup around the Denver performance in late July, and I have multiple transportation options for getting there. I'll be starting a thread on that very soon to gauge interest. If there is no interest, I will wait until the show comes a little further west. I'll drive as far east as Salt Lake City and as far west as the Bay area (maybe the LA or Portland, OR) area to see it. And of course, I would drive to 'Vegas to see it, and spend some time with my falulukan friends (and their owners!) there. Any of these shows could be possibilities for mini-meetups as well.

Yawey ngahu!

Alan

Sorry you can't make it ma tsmukan.  Definitely clear a space for next year. ;)

Hope you are able to have a mini-meet to make up for it and enjoy the show with fellow clan members :)

Alan

CyanRachel

Quote from: Alan on May 25, 2016, 02:10:12 PM
Sorry you can't make it ma tsmukan.  Definitely clear a space for next year. ;)

Hope you are able to have a mini-meet to make up for it and enjoy the show with fellow clan members :)

Alan

^This.
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Wind12

@'Eylan Ayfalulukanä, Im sorry to hear about the situation this year :(, hopefully next year will go much smoother for everyone.
Oel ngati kameie ma tsmukan.