Denver rears its ugly head again ;)

Started by `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, June 21, 2016, 04:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Just when I thought all hope was lost of seeing Toruk this year (Nothing further west than Denver until at least next spring), the TV series that was keeping me from traveling was suddenly and without any warning, entirely cancelled. We are all still in shock, as it was expected this show would run for many more years. However, this means, if I can find someone to cover me while I travel, I might be able to go to Denver and see Toruk.

No plans to do a mini-meetup, but if any smuk wish to join me for an informal event, this would be Txantsan nìwotx! As I am kicking this idea around, this is how it would work: Arrive in Denver by car on a Friday evening, and stay at a reasonably priced hotel near the Denver Zoo. Spend the day Saturday visiting the zoo. See Toruk Saturday evening. Spend Sunday at the Colorado Renaissance Fair. Start home on Monday. To split the two day drive, I would visit the mount of Shasta the liger in Salt Lake City on the way out, and visit my friends in Wendover, Nevada (who have a live liger :)  ) on the way back. I might spend an extra day in Salt Lake City visiting am equipment vendor I have done a lot of business with, and the Hogle Zoo.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 21, 2016, 04:59:58 PM
Just when I thought all hope was lost of seeing Toruk this year (Nothing further west than Denver until at least next spring), the TV series that was keeping me from traveling was suddenly and without any warning, entirely cancelled. We are all still in shock, as it was expected this show would run for many more years. However, this means, if I can find someone to cover me while I travel, I might be able to go to Denver and see Toruk.

No plans to do a mini-meetup, but if any smuk wish to join me for an informal event, this would be Txantsan nìwotx! As I am kicking this idea around, this is how it would work: Arrive in Denver by car on a Friday evening, and stay at a reasonably priced hotel near the Denver Zoo. Spend the day Saturday visiting the zoo. See Toruk Saturday evening. Spend Sunday at the Colorado Renaissance Fair. Start home on Monday. To split the two day drive, I would visit the mount of Shasta the liger in Salt Lake City on the way out, and visit my friends in Wendover, Nevada (who have a live liger :)  ) on the way back. I might spend an extra day in Salt Lake City visiting am equipment vendor I have done a lot of business with, and the Hogle Zoo.
I'm going to see it in Denver too. I'll update my schedule for this. I will happily meet up with some other tsmuk there. Sounds like a plan, ma 'EA!  :)
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Last night, I started doing some preliminary planning. The longest leg of the trip by car is Salt Lake City to Denver, via Interstate 80. It's about 2 hours longer to my friends in Wendover. I've driven this route before, so I know it.

Although the main interest is Toruk, you (or anyone else) would also be welcome to join me at the Denver Zoo or the Colorado Renaissance Faire.

Yawey ngahu!

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 22, 2016, 04:15:26 PM
Last night, I started doing some preliminary planning. The longest leg of the trip by car is Salt Lake City to Denver, via Interstate 80. It's about 2 hours longer to my friends in Wendover. I've driven this route before, so I know it.

Although the main interest is Toruk, you (or anyone else) would also be welcome to join me at the Denver Zoo or the Colorado Renaissance Faire.
I did plan on hitting the zoo as well, but not the Renaissance Faire...
My life summarized.

Raiden

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 23, 2016, 01:27:21 AM
Ma Raiden, would you consider coming to Denver in July? July 23 is when I think I have a good chance to make it to Denver.

(Copy/pasted from the WebEx thread, just for the sake of keeping things organized)

Eylan Ayfalulukana, I really want to see the show, but this summer is spoken for on my end.

I'm actually getting ready to move to Corvallis so that I can finish my degree at Oregon State. This is a really important step in my life and likely the only way I'll be able to have an effect on the things I care about. I should have gotten this done years ago, but I have some personal issues that have made getting anywhere academically very difficult.

I would rather go to Denver with you and see the show, but this is long, long overdue and I must complete this step if I hope to get anywhere meaningful with my passions, so I will have to decline.

I'm sorry.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Raiden, I fully understand, and I am being hit with a real-life double whammy, maybe even a triple whammy.

First of all, the hearing I cancelled the Pittsburgh trip for is turning out to be a really big deal-- big enough that the Humane Society of the United States has sent in it's 'hit team'. Lawmakers here are being lobbied, animal owners are being attacked, and there is going to be a major ideological confrontation at this hearing, with both sides playing for keeps. We do not have the resources to fight the HSUS with their millions of $$ and teams of lawyers, other then the truth. We picked up a significant ally last week, but will it be enough to stop the animal rights steamroller?

Second, I am facing a bifurcation in my career. In a few days, my boss (and friend) of many years retires. I can either move up into his position, or stay where I am. Both have advantages, both are fraught with peril. In the meantime, I have no backup. I learned he is going on a 'vacation' for the entire month of July, and will be unable to cover for me if I go to Denver. There is one other person who might be able to, but I won't know if he can until next week. So, there is a significant possibility the Denver trip may be dead before it even gets off the ground. It may be that I am just not meant to see Toruk. Ever.

Third, today is the 20th birthday of my lion friend, Kenya (the one in my avatar pic). 20 years is extraordinarily old for a lion, and he is 'celebrating' with 12 pounds of nice, fresh pork. However, in the past weeks, Kenya is showing signs of 'slowing down'. Although a certain amount of this is normal when we get into the hot weather (and the other lions are doing it, too), he is 'slowing down' more than a couple of us think he should. I saw this in our liger Hobbs as well as Rudy the lion, and to a lesser extent, Jambo the lion. This was noticed a few months before each of these cats died. So, I am now fearing that, by the fall, I will have lost my best lion friend, ever. And this just after having lost Kalika the liger in April, She was almost as good a friend as Hobbs was, and I miss her very dearly.

So yes, life can really throw curve balls at you, and this year has been the worst ever for me.

I wish you success in your studies. I know how passionate and devoted you are, and this kind of devotion is a very good thing!

Yawey ngahu!

BlueHusky2154

I'll try to convince my grandma to take me. She just saw Avatar for the first time last night and now really wants to see the Toruk show now. So it's still a most likely for me.
My life summarized.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I should know a lot more tomorrow about the probability of this trip working out. Because no airline or train tickets are involved, it also means that plans can be flexible (this is both good and bad!) right up to the last minute.

Yawey ngahu!

BlueHusky2154

For me it's the same way. I'm going by car.
My life summarized.

BlueHusky2154

Ma 'EA, I hate to say this, but I probably won't be able to make the Toruk show in Denver. It's because money is tight, and my parents don't want to take work off. My grandmother (who watched Avatar for the first time over the weekend and loved it) said she would take me, but I will have to request time off for two weekends in a row, because the weekend before Toruk, I'm going to a music festival in South Dakota. I really hope I can pull things through right now. It's still a maybe, but the probability meter is slightly pointing towards no. I've been working my kxetse off the past few weeks to make a few extra bucks because I heard the Toruk tickets merch are really going to hurt my bank account. And spending $60 at Hastings yesterday really didn't help.
My life summarized.

Alan

Hope you make it to see the show - it really will be worth it completely.  It is an amazing experience we found.

Alan

BlueHusky2154

Yeah. I really want to go as well. Late July is really busy for me. I have to miss a lot of work. The weekend before Toruk is Hills Alive in Rapid City, SD, which is a music festival I go to every year.
My life summarized.

BlueHusky2154

Sad news. I can't make it to Denver.  :'(
I would have to miss a lot of work, and of course I wouldn't have a paycheck as fat as normal if I went to Denver, and I live off my paycheck. It's funny how little slips of paper and little plastic cards control our entire lives.
My life summarized.

Alan

Sorry to hear that. :(  Yeah, we have made ourselves a slave to the slips of paper and plastic.  Hopefully you will be able to make it to another show somewhere.  It will be touring for time yet.

Alan

BlueHusky2154

My only hope of seeing it would be if it came to Billings, MT, which I highly doubt. They have a stadium there, but I've been in there, and it looks a little small.
My life summarized.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

As of today, I am officially standing down on the Denver trip. I am instead having to refocus all my resources on a problem at home. And another hearing, similar to the hearing that canceled the Pittsburgh trip is scheduled for just after the dates of the Denver trip. And this time, the situation we are facing is even worse.

What this realistically means is that I will not be seeing Toruk until it comes out to the West Coast, which will be no sooner than March of 2017 :(

Yawey ngahu!

BlueHusky2154

Again, my only hope is Billings, MT.
My life summarized.

BlueHusky2154

Good news. Not coming to Billings, but it will be in Minneapolis. October 1 (Saturday) works GREAT for me and my family. I'll start a new thread about it.
My life summarized.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'm guessing Minneapolis is easy for you? That seems way east of where I think you live.

Yawey ngahu!

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 10, 2016, 02:42:47 AM
I'm guessing Minneapolis is easy for you? That seems way east of where I think you live.
I'm from eastern Montana. Minneapolis is actually closer than Denver, and I've been there before.
My life summarized.