AvatarMeet 2018 North America (ideas and such)

Started by BlueHusky2154, November 27, 2017, 12:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikxeru

Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 02, 2017, 04:03:48 PM
Yellowstone Park in summer.... FTW   <3
I agree! It will give us a great chance to get in touch with nature, and if I remember correctly, that's what Avatar was about, right?
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Toruk Makto

I have opened up the AvatarMeet 2018 board and moved this topic. You guys are ahead of the planning team!  :D

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 03, 2017, 09:04:13 AM
I have opened up the AvatarMeet 2018 board and moved this topic. You guys are ahead of the planning team!  :D
This is what happens when there are dedicated people around.  :)
My life summarized.

Toruk Makto

The Avatar community is a potent mix. Gives me the goosebumps!   8)

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 04, 2017, 05:53:04 PM
This honestly made me laugh after a slow day at work!  ;D
My life summarized.

Mako

""I got that reference!" - Steve Rogers" - Chris Evans

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 04, 2017, 03:44:17 PM
I'm going to throw out one other possible US location: Lassen Volcanic National Park. This is another location with great hiking (10,000+ foot/6215 meter mountain, plus a challenging cinder cone), hydrothermal features, good night skies a lot less crowded than Yellowstone, and close to several major cities (AF Bay area and Sacramento in CA, Portland, OR, Reno, NV and Boise, ID). I also know they have a theater in the park that we could screen Avatar.  There is also a radio telescope installation that does SETI research about half an hour north of the park.

Our friend 'Eylan (lol) suggested this in another thread and I really really like the idea of being able to screen Avatar with all you folks there. The thought of potentially being able to ask Pawl questions about the film is almost too much to handle. Whatever we do, I think this should be a thing one of the nights.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on December 04, 2017, 07:39:56 PM
This honestly made me laugh after a slow day at work!  ;D
HRH ;D ;D same here

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Aylì'u Markiyä sunu oeru nìteng :)

A screening of 'Avatar' is pretty much a standard part of any meetup. Doesn't necessarily have to be done in a theater. We could even do it outside under the right conditions. And now that I think about it, Lassen has an outdoor ampitheater (Actually, two of them) where they could do this. I suspect Yellowstone also has more than one suitable spot as well.

Ma Ertew, I don't understand why you think the name 'AvatarMeet' is exclusive, or some sort of 'brand'. It isn't, and there is no reason that a European (or Africa :) or Asian) group couldn't use it.

If the resources magically appeared, I would attend both meetups.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

BlueHusky2154

Yes, I believe Yellowstone does have one in Mammoth Hot Springs, and there is in fact a theater at Old Faithful. There is also and IMAX theater in West Yellowstone as well. If all else fails, we could all gather in a larger cabin, and watch it there. I have a compact projector, but it only does 480p resolution.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 05, 2017, 05:24:05 PM
Ma Ertew, I don't understand why you think the name 'AvatarMeet' is exclusive, or some sort of 'brand'. It isn't, and there is no reason that a European (or Africa :) or Asian) group couldn't use it.
Yeah, I think too that there would not be problem with it. However any distinction would be good if we will have two separated meets, I think.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 05, 2017, 05:24:05 PM
If the resources magically appeared, I would attend both meetups.
This miracle I would need too - seriously, I would like attend both meetups too and meet also you and other US members.

BlueHusky2154

That's why having the two meetups at different times makes sense. For those who can afford both, they can attend both.
My life summarized.

Wind12

Kaltxì nìmun! Oeru livu pxaya ngäzìka aysìpe'un haya zìsìt! hrh fì'u lu kosman nìtxan!

I do have some possible concerns for next year that I think should be discussed.
First of all the fact that there is so much enthusiasm for finding places for next years meet is a very good thing, and I think that the split meet may be the best option so all the fans can have the experience of Avatar meet.
Concern number one that I have, if the official Avatar meet is split, it may very well split the members of the planning team ( some planning for North America and some for Germany) I know that the planning team does alot of great work behind the scenes to make sure people can get to the meet location and has good ways to get around and has affordible accomodations to the best that there can be, so I am concerned that it might make it harder for the planners of each to pull things together with less people planning for each meet.

Concern number2 Logistics of Yellowstone, Yellowstone looks def. like an awesome place and I know there are alot of ways to explore nature in that area, one concern that I do have though is getting a large number of people together and being able to make sure they have the transport to get to the main place that they would be staying and then being able to travel around and do the activities, also taking into account that one of the themes of Avatar is trying to be responsible with resources and so trying to limit the amount of vehicle travel needed( admittedly in order to do a meet there is going to be a limit to what can be done, but in past meets that has been thought about in reguards to finding a place that had decent public and for shuttle transportation for people whom don't drive). All of the other meets so far have been at least close to a City with a Major airport, with a hotel near by, this helps people to be able to find more direct flights and to be able to find transportation like buses and shuttles( for example I don't drive so this helps me out alot). Again I am NOT trying to shoot anything down, these are just things that I want to make sure are thoroughly thought about in the planning of next years meet. With all that said, I am looking forward to next year what ever it brings in terms of Avatar meet :)

BlueHusky2154

Some nearby cities with major airports to YNP:
Billings, MT - 4 hours
Bozeman, MT - 2 hours
Idaho Falls, ID - 1.5 hours

All three cities have car rental services for those flying in and wishing to rent a car. However, carpooling is also an option. Carpooling is an option as well.
My life summarized.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on December 06, 2017, 11:13:50 PM
Some nearby cities with major airports to YNP:
Billings, MT - 4 hours
Bozeman, MT - 2 hours
Idaho Falls, ID - 1.5 hours

All three cities have car rental services for those flying in and wishing to rent a car. However, carpooling is also an option. Carpooling is an option as well.

The situation with Lassen is very similar. Sacramento is 1.5 hours, Reno, a little over 2 hours, same for the Bay area. Portland is 4-5 hours away. This is essentially local for me, and I can certainly help with transportation. I suspect that transportation issues are similar for both Yellowstone and Lassen. Lassen has few if any cabins, and I suspect many will want to just camp anyway.

Yellowstone is almost a 1 day drive for me, haven't worked it out yet. But I have a possible overnight place tbout halfway there, and Salt Lake City is another possible halfway point.

A meetup in either venue, I would think, would be shorter because there is no major central activity. We need to re-think what we do at these off-year meetups to keep them interesting and organized. Activities we can do as a group, where we can simply enjoy being with each other will work the best.

Lastly, I think the European group needs to form their own committee. That committee can address issues unique to Europe, and can be the core that keeps them able to do meetups on a regular basis. The two committes should definitely communicate with each other.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

BlueHusky2154

I can help with transportation as well. The easiest airport to get to would be Billings, and that's on the way there. I can pick people up at the airport to eliminate car rental.
YNP is also a day drive for me, simple because of the roads having to go around mountains.
Another nearby place to stay would be Cody, WY.
My life summarized.

BlueHusky2154

Here's some YNP light pollution data for us stargazers out there.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on December 07, 2017, 11:23:12 AM
It looks very good :) Is it better then night sky in your state?

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: Toliman on December 07, 2017, 11:49:32 AM
Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on December 07, 2017, 11:23:12 AM
It looks very good :) Is it better then night sky in your state?
It's about the same. It should allow for awesome stargazing, so bringing telescopes and binoculars is a must!
My life summarized.

BlueHusky2154

Some YNP pics

Map of campground I was talking about

There is a small airport that runs commercial passenger flights to/from Salt Lake City under Delta Airlines.
My life summarized.