AvatarMeet 2018 North America (ideas and such)

Started by BlueHusky2154, November 27, 2017, 12:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

May I throw Yosemite into the suggestion pool? 2 hours from FAT by car or bus, downright beautiful and potentially a wonderful location for AM'18 in the US.

BlueHusky2154

I live in a yellow zone but I can drive for 15 minutes and it's a black zone.
I could easily pack my 6" Dobsonian to Yellowstone. Got plenty of room in my Olds 88 plus more for clothes and stuff.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Ertew

How I can check the level of light pollution around my city? I mean real measurements, not just looking at the map.
http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html shows orange/red color at city center and yellow at suburban region. That sounds accurate. But on the other hand, a lot of space between nearest cities appears green, almost no blue/gray areas in most of central Europe.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Toliman

Quote from: Ertew on January 20, 2018, 09:44:39 AM
ut on the other hand, a lot of space between nearest cities appears green, almost no blue areas in most of central Europe.
There can depends on many local conditions.
I know many places (in my country) where night sky looks (a bit) better then it looks on these maps but also many places where night sky is worse in real.

HRH ... looks as good off-topic ... maybe continue in astro-thread?

Ertew

Sorry. So much astro stuff that I not checked threat tittle.
Maybe one of moderators can cut last few posts and paste them to astro thread?
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

In many ways, Yosemite would be a great venue for AvatarMeet. I don't know what FAT is, but Yosemite is a bit over two hours drive from Reno. Close enough I could bring my 16 inch 'scope. And, Yosemite has an active, long standing public astronomy program.

The bad part about Yosemite? Its about as busy as Disneyworld in summertime! A possible, very nearby alternative that would allow easily visiting Yosemite would be somewhere in the Long Vallye Caldera. Or perhaps, the Owens Valley, which has a spectacular view of the Sierras without actually being in them...and close to the Goldstone Radio Telescope.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Mako

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 22, 2018, 03:41:59 PM
In many ways, Yosemite would be a great venue for AvatarMeet. I don't know what FAT is, but Yosemite is a bit over two hours drive from Reno. Close enough I could bring my 16 inch 'scope. And, Yosemite has an active, long standing public astronomy program.

The bad part about Yosemite? Its about as busy as Disneyworld in summertime! A possible, very nearby alternative that would allow easily visiting Yosemite would be somewhere in the Long Vallye Caldera. Or perhaps, the Owens Valley, which has a spectacular view of the Sierras without actually being in them...and close to the Goldstone Radio Telescope.

FAT is the airport in Fresno. I'm from the general area but there's still so much I haven't seen. The high sierras are absolutely breathtaking in this season though.