AvatarMeet 2018 - North America - Grand Canyon Idea?

Started by Alan, December 26, 2017, 07:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Kaltxì ma frapo,

I'll start by saying I'm neutral and have no preference.

It was suggested at AvatarMeet 2017 that the Grand Canyon might be a place that AvatarMeet could visit in 2018.  And so I'm just posting some links to a couple of website so people can be informed about the option before voting when we send the survey out.  So here's some info:

Visitor website:
https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm

Google Map Location link:
https://goo.gl/maps/gZ4r2cNaJkz

Getting there:
Well, car really....although there is the Grand Canyon Railway (not railroad for some reason!), which goes from Williams, but then you have to get there from Flagstaff

Alan

BlueHusky2154

After the harsh feedback I got from suggesting Yellowstone, I don't think people will be very supportive of Grand Canyon either...
Simply put, it's hard to get to for people flying in.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Alan

Well...You're not wrong in one way.  I guess this is why in the past there has been a camping/outdoors element to all but two of the previous meet ups.  This enabled all attendees to get a bit of what they need before coming together for the full meet up.  Check out the AvatarMeet 2014 meet up video.

Looking at it another way, if a proportion of Avatar fans are 'townies', then maybe it is good to bring Avatar's theme to those places to spread those sustainability messages where it is needed.  After AvatarMeet 2017 I got a survey from the hotel and I spelt out in no uncertain terms I was not happy with the waste they generated from all the plastic utensils they used, among other things I noted.

One aspect of the meet ups is habitat restoration where the clan has done volunteer work in a local nature preserve.  I would really like to see us get involved in a community project to help spread the sustainability and the 'need to look after the environment' message to as many people as possible rather than quietly doing it in a nature preserve.  But hey, every bit counts and I hope we continue trying to make that contribution.

Alan

BlueHusky2154

Finally, someone at least somewhat agrees with me. I would like to see at least one meet, even a mini-meet in a location like this.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Ikxeru

This is all about the south rim:

Grand Canyon is far easier to get to from LAX or LAS than Yellowstone. From Las Vegas it's just a day trip via US-93... I-40... then the last 50 miles on SUPERBORING AZ-64 and then...  BOOM :)
If you are interested in US-American history, taking the old Route 66 running parallel to I-40 is always an option. It is beyond beautiful and this is one of the most impressive road trips you could imagine. Because if travelling on back roads for 1 hour you see and learn more than by travelling on an interstate for one week.

But if we go there, then what can we do there?  Well...  There is: A canyon, in fact THE canyon of canyons...  I myself can watch it for hours... days... But with a group of 20-30 people... Hmmmmm....
We can, no, we HAVE to book a flight to see the canyon from above. Totally mandatory!!! It is an overload of impressive views. No picture, not even 4K video can record it... You should see your faces. :D
There is a little airfield right at the south rim entrance to the national park offering 1 or 2 hour flights above and around the canyon.

One of my personal dreams and life-goals is to hike from the south rim to the north rim via Kalibab Trail...  but in summer it might be too hot. It isn't Phoenix, but it might hit 95F/35°C in summer. We might rent a mule to carry our water. It is possible, just be brave, bluetails. :)

On the south rim are a couple of hotels/lodges - but you have to book rooms very early in advance, especially for a large group like us. I can tell form personal experience that we wanted to book two rooms in summer for after AvatarMeet in L.A. and were very lucky to get the very last two rooms when we did all the bookings several months in advance (like flights, car rentals etc.)   From this experiece, it seems to be impossible to ask for like "20 rooms for a convention" unless we request these rooms now... 

- And I can't tell anything about the north rim, never been there.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Ikxeru

However, combining an AvatarMeet in Las Vegas for the convention AND Grand Canyon for a camping/hiking part seems to be a cool fusion!!!   (like D.C. and Shenanndoah)
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...