AvatarMeet Europe - Germany 2018

Started by Ertew, November 27, 2017, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part 1: Which city is Your favorite location (closes to You)?

Cologne, Oct 25-28
10 (52.6%)
Hamburg, Oct 31 - Nov 4
1 (5.3%)
Berlin, Nov 7-11
8 (42.1%)
Frankfurt, Nov 28 - Dec 2
1 (5.3%)
Part 2: Which city is also within Your reach (second chioce)?
2 (10.5%)
Cologne, Oct 25-28
7 (36.8%)
Hamburg, Oct 31 - Nov 4
4 (21.1%)
Berlin, Nov 7-11
5 (26.3%)
Frankfurt, Nov 28 - Dec 2
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Blue Elf

Quote from: Ertew on December 02, 2017, 05:42:02 PM
:o   What?

I almost fall of the chair after read that. For Me Cologne is much further than Berlin.
Better ability to cosplay sounds nice, as well as help from Lightstorm. But I need to find cheap and easy way to travel there from Poland. Deutsche Bahn may cost much.
Same here - moving to Cologne would bring transport price to completely different level (read: much higher) - just price on line Prague - Nurnberg is same like return ticket Prague - Berlin. Not saying that traveling is more difficult because of bus/train combination and several transfers. I'm afraid in such case I'd have to give up whole meeting.

Should I reset poll and change fields to differ between Cologne, Berlin, etc?
Probably yes, but to get good results it requires all possible attendees to vote - what, as written, didn't occur so far.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Toliman

Quote from: Blue Elf on December 03, 2017, 07:10:03 AM
Quote from: Ikxeru on December 02, 2017, 03:45:45 PM
And right:  DON'T BUY ANY TICKETS YET!!!
No worry - I don't think anyone do so until meetup is really confirmed and place of meeting announced.
Yeah, I think that it's obvious

Quote from: Blue Elf on December 03, 2017, 07:39:21 AM
Should I reset poll and change fields to differ between Cologne, Berlin, etc?
Probably yes, but to get good results it requires all possible attendees to vote - what, as written, didn't occur so far.
True! I already voted.
So who didn't vote yet - please, vote

moving to Cologne would bring transport price to completely different level (read: much higher) - just price on line Prague - Nurnberg is same like return ticket Prague - Berlin. Not saying that traveling is more difficult because of bus/train combination and several transfers. I'm afraid in such case I'd have to give up whole meeting.
I understand and I hope that you will can arrive (if meeting will be really in Cologne). Meeting in Cologne would be (for me) less easy than Berlin, but still possible.

Tìtstewan

Same here - moving to Cologne would bring transport price to completely different level (read: much higher)
Not always. It depends from which city you start travelling to Cologne.

From Dresden to Cologne: about 115€, 7:30h travel time (without any switch)
From Nürnberg to Cologne: about 89 €, 4:30 travel time (without any switch)

I'm not going to add Leibzig as example which is as far as Nürnberg from Prague, because you would save just one hour travel time and 15€ costs compared to Dresden.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Ertew

I created separate poll to vote between USA, Europe or both. As I see, few peoples found it without problems.

I re-added poll to this thread. This time with options limited to German cities. Feel free to submit Your votes.
First 4 options - which destinations You can reach without problems. Last 4 options - which destinations can be reached but You may have a problem with them ie. bad or expensive travel.

Blue Elf and Toliman: I search for nice and cheap train links to Cologne and cannot found any. Only expensive and with change(s) :(
Fortunately I found nice links by bus. So far >this site< offer me cheapest link between "Aglomeracja Kolonia" (PL name for Cologne) and "Wrocław" (PL name for Wroclaw). 150PLN (ca. 37E) one side plus 30PLN (ca. 7E) for train to home. German version shows 35E for same bus link. That solution looks promising.
-> Main disadvantage: link is active only once a day and not everyday. I will travel during night (with ability to sleep whole trip) but I'm sure that I'll need to skip one day of meetup or wait half day for the rest of peoples.
-> Main advantage: weather in Cologne really looks warmer than Berlin. I may be able to wear my VFF (maybe purchase blue pair specially for cosplay) or even spend one day barefoot :)  That's great.

But I'm still waiting for information that Toruk will visit Prague, Wroclaw or Warsaw next summer. That would be great both in terms of travel, accommodation (camping) and cosplay  :)
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Toliman

Thanks, this is one from ways which I already found.

Ikxeru

Obviously, you never travel Deutsche Bahn...
Ticketing starts 6 months in advance, because of the change between winter and summer schedule of trains. As of today, you can book tickets until end of March next year. So it impossible to request a price for a ticket in October 2018 on the website, because even Deutsche Bahn does not know yet, if a specific train will even run in April any longer (or run again in next winter)

Berlin to Cologne ICE highspeed train, 2nd class, booked a couple of months in advance is 29,00 Euros, several times a day.
Nürnberg (=Nuermberg) to Cologne ICE has one connection departuing 10pm, arriving 06am in Cologne for 19,90 Euros, each day.
On each connection, tickes shall never cost more than 50 Euros if you use other departing times. The 120,00 standard fare is ony in effect if you go to the counter and say: "I decided to travel right now. I need a ticket for the next train."

If you are on a budget, FlixBus etc. long distance bus networks wll bring you for 50-75 Euros roundtrip from anywhere to everywhere, several times a day.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Toliman

Blue Elf

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 03, 2017, 02:31:41 PM
Obviously, you never travel Deutsche Bahn...
Ticketing starts 6 months in advance, because of the change between winter and summer schedule of trains. As of today, you can book tickets until end of March next year. So it impossible to request a price for a ticket in October 2018 on the website, because even Deutsche Bahn does not know yet, if a specific train will even run in April any longer (or run again in next winter)

Berlin to Cologne ICE highspeed train, 2nd class, booked a couple of months in advance is 29,00 Euros, several times a day.
Nürnberg (=Nuermberg) to Cologne ICE has one connection departuing 10pm, arriving 06am in Cologne for 19,90 Euros, each day.
On each connection, tickes shall never cost more than 50 Euros if you use other departing times. The 120,00 standard fare is ony in effect if you go to the counter and say: "I decided to travel right now. I need a ticket for the next train."

If you are on a budget, FlixBus etc. long distance bus networks will bring you for 50-75 Euros roundtrip from anywhere to everywhere, several times a day.
Many thanks, Ikxeru, for these useful information. These prices bring my attendance possible again. Seems, that eshop of Czech Railways thinks, that rails on trace Nuernberg - Koln are gold or something. I have no different explanation for their unbelievable price.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Ertew on December 03, 2017, 11:51:25 AM
I created separate poll to vote between USA, Europe or both. As I see, few peoples found it without problems.

I re-added poll to this thread. This time with options limited to German cities. Feel free to submit Your votes.
First 4 options - which destinations You can reach without problems. Last 4 options - which destinations can be reached but You may have a problem with them ie. bad or expensive travel.
Voted again. Berlin is still my favorite. Hamburg is also possible because of good connection. Cologne is worst for me because of distance. Frankfurt is a little better than Cologne, but beginning of December is most probably bad for me.

Toliman

Quote from: Blue Elf on December 04, 2017, 08:37:48 AM
Voted again. Berlin is still my favorite. Hamburg is also possible because of good connection. Cologne is worst for me because of distance. Frankfurt is a little better than Cologne, but beginning of December is most probably bad for me.
Similarly for me - Berlin is still the best choice for me however Cologne is possible too (but Berlin would be for me really far better)

Toliman

Hmm ... I wonder whether everyone (who consider attendance) voted yet.

Most votes is for Berlin however when I read previous posts, I see that at least comparable part of people is for Cologne :-\

Alan

I must admit I haven't voted yet...kinda not sure really.  Never been to Germany before sooo...ermmm...

Just a thought to throw out there.  Generally meet up planning from beginning to end it about six months...or in the case of AvatarMeet 2016 about a month!  So perhaps there is no rush to decide just yet?

Alan

Ertew

Time is limited by the tickets:

• Regular Toruk tickets may disappear after a month from now or stay available up to weeks before spectacle. That's first time when Toruk will visit Germany so noone knows what may happened.
    We may obtain better tickets (or balcony - currently empty and unavailable) or ask for reservation for few dates and chose later. I don't know what are possible here. I may try to contact with Toruk team but at the moment Ikxeru and AvatarMeet(USA) team have better contact than me. Thus I don't want to spam.
  • Train and bus tickets should be booked/purchased 2-3 moths before meetup. Maybe a little more for hotel.
  • Museums and local entertainment should be available up to few weeks before meetup. But We should know what are available at each place before comparing cities.
That gives us plenty of time for everything except Toruk, which I hope should be negotiation stage right now.

Tìtstewan

Actually, Cologne would be perfect for me, because I've already reserved one week of holiday in that time (before I knew that Toruk show come to Germany.)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Toliman

Hmm ... I see that there really will be difficult decission between Berlin and Cologne.

Quote from: Ertew on December 06, 2017, 05:10:31 PM
Time is limited by the tickets

That gives us plenty of time for everything except Toruk, which I hope should be negotiation stage right now.
Yeah, exactly this I mean.

Alan

Quote from: Ertew on December 06, 2017, 05:10:31 PM
Time is limited by the tickets:

• Regular Toruk tickets may disappear after a month from now or stay available up to weeks before spectacle. That's first time when Toruk will visit Germany so noone knows what may happened.
    We may obtain better tickets (or balcony - currently empty and unavailable) or ask for reservation for few dates and chose later. I don't know what are possible here. I may try to contact with Toruk team but at the moment Ikxeru and AvatarMeet(USA) team have better contact than me. Thus I don't want to spam.
  • Train and bus tickets should be booked/purchased 2-3 moths before meetup. Maybe a little more for hotel.
  • Museums and local entertainment should be available up to few weeks before meetup. But We should know what are available at each place before comparing cities.

Don't panic!  I am of the opinion that there is plenty of time at the moment.  When AvatarMeet visited Pittsburgh in 2016 to see Toruk there were (sadly) empty seats, and we went on the Saturday night to see the show.  I have also been to see the show in Philadelphia in March this year with Fiyerwall and CyanRachel and we booked our tickets two months before with no difficulty.

The general order of planning tends to go:

• Lock down location by democratic choice
  • Set the date
  • Prepare some publicity and launch material (Forum posts, AvatarMeet Facebook page, website, promo video if it helps)
  • Research hotel that is accessible to everyone
  • Arrange group booking with chosen hotel
  • Launch AvatarMeet 201X
  • Research continues on Avatar related activities, transport, costings building up an event schedule

Everything but the last one on the list tends to be worked on six months before the event.  It hasn't always gone to plan, such as AvatarMeet 2016, when we had to change venue with just about two months to go before the event!

I hope to pull together a bit of a brain dump of the 'ingredients' that go into making a meet up.  As far as I'm concerned, there is no reason why there can't be Avatar meetups everywhere on whatever scale is comfortable for those involved in planning them.

Is there a list of those who want to get involved in planning the AvatarMeet in Europe?  The previous AvatarMeets in the US have varied in planning team numbers, but there is about 6 or 7 people.  Each bringing something to the table and taking responsibility for it.

Alan

Toliman

Quote from: Alan on December 07, 2017, 02:42:17 PM
Don't panic!  I am of the opinion that there is plenty of time at the moment.  When AvatarMeet visited Pittsburgh in 2016 to see Toruk there were (sadly) empty seats, and we went on the Saturday night to see the show.  I have also been to see the show in Philadelphia in March this year with Fiyerwall and CyanRachel and we booked our tickets two months before with no difficulty.
Good to know it!
However I just wonder about it because it will be first time when Toruk will visit any place in Europe.

Alan

Quote from: Toliman on December 07, 2017, 02:52:27 PM
However I just wonder about it because it will be first time when Toruk will visit any place in Europe.

Maybe.  It's next stop is Dubai in January and then there is a long gap until October.  So I don't know if there are going to be other places announced or if the show is being 'rested' until its visit to Germany.  Either way, I can't see the shows being sold out in the next month or so, especially with Christmas to get through.

Alan

Ertew

Yeah. I still have a wish to cancel this meetup and organize second one in summer.
Maybe Toruk decide to visit more European cities during warmer months or maybe decide to visit Prague (cheaper and with nice nature around.

Ikxeru

Don't panic, keep your towel ready. The answer will be 42!

Alan is right, we are working VERY HARD at the moment to check for all possible options. There is already a planning team of locals working on ALL possible options.
In the background, we are working on hotel discounts, transportation, frame programme/activities...  all the awesome stuff that makes an AvatarMeet a first class global meetup event.
And hell, yeah, I have learned a lot in the US of how to make a meetup an event that you will never forget.

You must understand that the ultimate goal is a superb event, epic enough to make memories of a lifetime.  But all this takes it's time.

I myself know both cities very well, both have advantages and disadvantages for a meetup. We will share both concepts for Cologne and Berlin and when we have finished this phase of planning, we will come up with two event schedules and then there will be a poll, which version of meetup the attendees would prefer. You may worry about airfare, train tickets etc. right now. But don't underestimate the cost of the meetup itself. So to speak, you may spend more on getting to the meetup - but may live cheaper during the meetup. Travel cost is just one aspect. What, if you save 50€ on train tickets - but spend like €150 more on hotel rooms. Do not underestimate the more expensive hotel rooms in our capital. Please, RUTXE, be patient. ;)

'ivong Na'vi!
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...