AvatarMeet Europe - Germany 2018

Started by Ertew, November 27, 2017, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part 1: Which city is Your favorite location (closes to You)?

Cologne, Oct 25-28
10 (52.6%)
Hamburg, Oct 31 - Nov 4
1 (5.3%)
Berlin, Nov 7-11
8 (42.1%)
Frankfurt, Nov 28 - Dec 2
1 (5.3%)
Part 2: Which city is also within Your reach (second chioce)?
2 (10.5%)
Cologne, Oct 25-28
7 (36.8%)
Hamburg, Oct 31 - Nov 4
4 (21.1%)
Berlin, Nov 7-11
5 (26.3%)
Frankfurt, Nov 28 - Dec 2
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Ertew

As I see it's just decided: Cologne or Berlin, no other options.
Thanks for info. I'll stay tuned.

BTW, can You explain the number "42"  ???
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Wllìm

Thanks for the update! I will try my very best to be present; that is, I'll be there unless I have to do stuff at work.

Quote from: Ertew on December 07, 2017, 03:41:27 PM
BTW, can You explain the number "42"  ???

It's a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)#The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

Ikxeru

42...  from the Douglas Adams' novel "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is the "answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything" :)
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Toliman

Quote from: Wllìm on December 07, 2017, 04:18:32 PM
Thanks for the update! I will try my very best to be present
This :) Same here!

Thanks for updates too!

Eana Unil

Regarding "42" I've read a very interesting interpretation of it recently:
https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17361693_10154396083831299_6064841226060753251_n.jpg?oh=d8b042c4fd5236e8fce56a08b57279b4&oe=5A8E949C

Regarding AM2018...
I've voted for Berlin and Cologne, since both are more or less reachable but not really close. Will be a longer car drive for me either way, so oeru ke'u :) Although Cologne would be way closer, still.
Could pick up up to 3 more people to get from the southwest of Germany to the chosen location, just btw. Whatever location will be the final one, I'm so looking forward to this!

Btw, I recently re-created the LearnNa'vi Member Map, so adding your city there could make planning easier (especially when it comes to car pooling and stuff, just fyi). Topic is here: https://forum.learnnavi.org/meetup/learn-na'vi-member-map-v2-0/

Ikxeru

The final vote for any city should not depend on the distance to get to the meetup. IMO that city should win, which has the best frame programme to offer. Plus citywide transportation/hotel discounts/meals/screening of Avatar/blah blah et cetera.
Plus: Some people may not have the time in October, but in November or vice versa and have only one option to go to a meetup.

We will set up detailed surveys soon to analyse, which is the best location for the ultimate experience. With deadlines etc., so that anyone can check back with their workplaces for holidays etc.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Ertew

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 10, 2017, 02:54:07 PM
The final vote for any city should not depend on the distance to get to the meetup. IMO that city should win, which has the best frame programme to offer. Plus citywide transportation/hotel discounts/meals/screening of Avatar/blah blah et cetera.
Plus: Some people may not have the time in October, but in November or vice versa and have only one option to go to a meetup.
I fully agree with You, but distance should be treated equally with free time. Some peoples may have more important activities during selected days. Some other may not have ability to travel longer distances.

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 02, 2017, 03:45:45 PMA huge number of people that have not posted here yet are voting for Cologne, because it is warmer in October as a huge group is planning to cosplay.
I just make a quick comparison Berlin vs. Cologne in terms of weather. Results (excluding wind, no archive data available) and cannot agree with this opinion. Archive data for maximum temperature are only 1-2 degrees higher in Cologne. Rest data are almost identical. Here source for Berlin and Cologne. And here are script that compares all available data in two columns.
Here data from different source: Berlin vs. Cologne. As You may see, average temperatures are about 2*C higher for Cologne. Also Cologne meetup will be 2 weeks earlier (another 2*C difference) but that's all for average data. Actual temperatures, rain and wind in 2018 may be much different for both locations.

Toliman

Quote from: Ertew on December 10, 2017, 03:39:30 PM
Quote from: Ikxeru on December 02, 2017, 03:45:45 PMA huge number of people that have not posted here yet are voting for Cologne, because it is warmer in October as a huge group is planning to cosplay.
I just make a quick comparison Berlin vs. Cologne in terms of weather. Results (excluding wind, no archive data available) and cannot agree with this opinion. Archive data for maximum temperature are only 1-2 degrees higher in Cologne. Rest data are almost identical. Here source for Berlin and Cologne. And here are script that compares all available data in two columns.
Here data from different source: Berlin vs. Cologne. As You may see, average temperatures are about 2*C higher for Cologne. Also Cologne meetup will be 2 weeks earlier (another 2*C difference) but that's all for average data. Actual temperatures, rain and wind in 2018 may be much different for both locations.

Completely true! Relying on weather statistics can be sometimes very fallacious (my own experiences) ...

Ertew

Quote from: Alan on December 07, 2017, 03:12:00 PM
Quote from: Toliman on December 07, 2017, 02:52:27 PM
However I just wonder about it because it will be first time when Toruk will visit any place in Europe.
Maybe.  It's next stop is Dubai in January and then there is a long gap until October.  So I don't know if there are going to be other places announced or if the show is being 'rested' until its visit to Germany.  Either way, I can't see the shows being sold out in the next month or so, especially with Christmas to get through.

Alan
Just found new info at Toruk website. No data for summer 2018 (long gap), then Germany in October-December, Croatia in December 2018, then short gap and next show in Spain (Pamplona, right next to France border) at Feb 6-10, 2019.
IMHO more places in Europe (I guess France in January 2019) are negotiated right now. Sadly no info about summer shows that will be better for meetup (camping, cosplay, forest trips).

Alan

Ahhh...looks like a European tour is on the cards at last.  Hope it makes it to the UK at some point. :)

Alan

Eltusiyu

I'm so glad we finally will have EU meet and I'm happy even more because it's within my reach this time :D I will be 100% in April if I'm going but count me in! :)

Kxangangang! - Oeyä Pìlok leNa'vi

Previously called Kxrekorikus