Meetup location USA, Germany or both?

Started by Ertew, December 03, 2017, 10:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where AvatarMeet 2018 should be organized?

Organize meetup in Germany only
2 (15.4%)
Organize meetup both in Germany and USA
11 (84.6%)
Organize meetup in USA only (different name for Germany meetup)
0 (0%)
== separator line ==
0 (0%)
I will take part in Germany meetup only
6 (46.2%)
I will take part both in Germany and USA (if both organized)
0 (0%)
I will take part in only one AvatarMeet (hope only one will be organized)
3 (23.1%)
I will take part in USA meetup only
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Ertew

Kaltxì.

As We all know, year 2018 must have annual AvatarMeet.
But because of Toruk tour in Europe, there will be at least one meetup of European fans in Germany.

This topic is not intended to promote any of possible locations but to solve main question: which meetup should be named AvatarMeet. Possible options:

• Organize AvatarMeet in Germany to gather European fans. This case no AvatarMeet in USA
  • Organize AvatarMeet in USA as in last years. This case European meetup should obtain different name.
  • Organize AvatarMeet both in USA (summer) and Germany (autumn). This case both continents will have own meetup but we need way to proper name both events (AvatarMeet 2018 will not work).
Of course the AvatarMeet planning team will chose final solution, but why not help them?

And second poll to spot the difference. What meetup is within Your reach. I know that this may depend on final meetup location so feel free to vote at one or both of polls.

P.S. Both polls have ability to change selections. Feel free to change votes when we will know final solutions for both meetups.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

BlueHusky2154

I say we should organize a meet in YNP and in Germany but at different times. This eliminates the burden of trans-Atlantic flight costs for us. However, it does allow an opportunity for those wishing to attend both to do so.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Toliman

*voted*

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on December 03, 2017, 10:55:48 AM
I say we should organize a meet in YNP and in Germany but at different times. This eliminates the burden of trans-Atlantic flight costs for us. However, it does allow an opportunity for those wishing to attend both to do so.
Both meets but in different times - yes, this would be the best solution.
I really would like attend both meets, If I could ...

BlueHusky2154

My life summarized.

Toruk Makto

With all respect, given the geographic distribution of AM attendees and the history of AvatarMeet, there will have to be a meet in the US. A vote about that is superfluous. My opinion is that having AvatarMeet-EU and AvatarMeet-US at different times is the logical solution.  - M.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Ertew

That sounds like it's already decided.
First meetup in USA named AvatarMeet or AvatarMeet-US.
Second meetup in Germany, probably named  AvatarMeet-EU but waiting for official decision.

Toliman

Quote from: Ertew on December 03, 2017, 01:37:35 PM
That sounds like it's already decided.
First meetup in USA named AvatarMeet or AvatarMeet-US.
Second meetup in Germany, probably named  AvatarMeet-EU but waiting for official decision.
Yeah, AvatarMeet exclusively in Europe would be nice for us (European fans) but Toruk Makto is right completely.

Ikxeru

You simply cannot expect any average US Avatar fan to spend at least $2,000 on a meetuip in Europe...
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Ertew

The same principle works in opposite direction. Only a few fans from Europe can afford to visit USA.

BlueHusky2154

So, what does everyone think about the YNP location? It is full of amazing scenery, great hiking, wildlife, and geothermal features. It will allow us to get in touch with nature just like in Avatar instead of meeting in a smoggy, loud, and polluted city. It's also somewhat in the middle of the US which makes it not too terribly far for most of us American members.
My life summarized.

Toruk Makto

Question: There has been a hidden planning forum board for every AvatarMeet to date. Since this year we are looking to have two meetups, should there be two planning boards, or only one for both meets? Also, who are the official planners for the AvatarMeet-EU so I can get access permissions set up?  -M

Toruk Makto

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on December 03, 2017, 08:10:25 PM
So, what does everyone think about the YNP location? It is full of amazing scenery, great hiking, wildlife, and geothermal features. It will allow us to get in touch with nature just like in Avatar instead of meeting in a smoggy, loud, and polluted city. It's also somewhat in the middle of the US which makes it not too terribly far for most of us American members.

The Grand Canyon has also been suggested. Perhaps this conversation is best taken to the planning board in order to avoid confusion?  -M.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Historically, there was a regular meetup in Europe and a regular meetup in the US. The US meetup became AvatarMeet, which has always attracted a few folks from Europe. The hitoric European meetup attracted a few US folks. It would be fun to attend a European meetup, but as others have mentioned, international travel is expensive, and this coming year I will be lucky to make it to a US meetup, due to having to replace my roof.

There is no reason I can see that both meetups can't be called AvatarMeet, and the idea of calling one AvatarMeet Us and the other AvatarMeet EU is a good one, and should be enough difference to distinguish them. Functionally they are the same thing, and are metsawlultxa to cover large regions.

I think, almost of necessity, there would be two planning teams, as each location has its logistic idiosyncrasies. And there is no reason these teams can't work together and still be independent.

I'm going to throw out one other possible US location: Lassen Volcanic National Park. This is another location with great hiking (10,000+ foot/6215 meter mountain, plus a challenging cinder cone), hydrothermal features, good night skies a lot less crowded than Yellowstone, and close to several major cities (AF Bay area and Sacramento in CA, Portland, OR, Reno, NV and Boise, ID). I also know they have a theater in the park that we could screen Avatar.  There is also a radio telescope installation that does SETI research about half an hour north of the park.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 04, 2017, 03:44:17 PM
There is no reason I can see that both meetups can't be called AvatarMeet, and the idea of calling one AvatarMeet Us and the other AvatarMeet EU is a good one, and should be enough difference to distinguish them. Functionally they are the same thing, and are metsawlultxa to cover large regions.
Yeah, Idea of calling  one as AvatarMeet US and the other as AvatarMeet EU is very good, I think too :)

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 04, 2017, 03:44:17 PM
Historically, there was a regular meetup in Europe and a regular meetup in the US. The US meetup became AvatarMeet, which has always attracted a few folks from Europe. The hitoric European meetup attracted a few US folks. It would be fun to attend a European meetup, but as others have mentioned, international travel is expensive, and this coming year I will be lucky to make it to a US meetup, due to having to replace my roof.
Good luck with repairs of your roof. I hope that you will can attend the US AvatarMeet.
I would be very lucky if I could join to both meets ... but only European meeting is completelly realistic for me now

BlueHusky2154

My problem is travel costs. I don't have the money to fly, but I can drive to Yellowstone. There is a theater in the park, and in West Yellowstone.
I do know of an affordable place to stay if reservations are made ahead of time.
I know, it's crowded, but it's only that way because it has spectacular features.
YNP would also be the first AvatarMeet I will have been to.
My life summarized.

Vawmataw

I don't want to be obnoxious but AvatarMeet Germany is more likely than AvatarMeet Europe. ;)

But honestly I would like to see the annual meetups travelling like this.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on December 04, 2017, 05:50:27 PM
I don't want to be obnoxious but AvatarMeet Germany is more likely than AvatarMeet Europe. ;)
I think that calling as AvatarMeet Europe is possible too - there are at least few people which are not from Germany and seriously contemplate attendance too ;)

Ikxeru

WARNING: OFF-TOPIC...  Very off-topic...  if I had a wish that would come true one day...  I would love to have a 2 weeks meetup in the rainforest of Costa Rica one day...
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Vawmataw

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 04, 2017, 05:59:03 PM
WARNING: OFF-TOPIC...  Very off-topic...  if I had a wish that would come true one day...  I would love to have a 2 weeks meetup in the rainforest of Costa Rica one day...
We should open a thread for our ideas. I guess this would help the Avatarmeet planning team (of which you're part).
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

TrueLoveforNeytiri

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 03, 2017, 02:43:15 PM
You simply cannot expect any average US Avatar fan to spend at least $2,000 on a meetuip in Europe...

Yeah, sadly for the sake of gathering all the clans, unfortunately not. More on that below...

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 04, 2017, 05:59:03 PM

Srane! This would very well be my ultimate meet location, as Costa Rica is one of those "bucket list" places for me to visit before I die. Maybe one day! :)

Anyway, first off, allow me to (re)introduce myself. Some people here may know me from past meets (unfortunately, I was unable to attend this year's meet due to unforeseen circumstances :( ), as well as from another Avatar forum that is now gone. I don't frequent the forums much, but I tend to be active elsewhere, and I do keep in touch with my Avatar ayeylan almost daily. For those who know and remember me (and for those who don't) I say, "Kaltxì!" :) It's been a while! :-[

As for the idea of having separate meets in the U.S. and Germany, I think for this year especially, this makes sense. There have been talks about a meet somewhere in Europe for a good while now, and with the Toruk show coming to Germany (and other Euro destinations), it's pretty much a no-brainer. :) A meet there has been long overdue.

The only tricky part about having a meet there is (as has been mentioned already), unfortunately, a meet in Germany (or elsewhere in Europe) will be difficult for people in the U.S. to attend. I know for myself and a couple others, unfortunately we don't make a lot of money, and even attending the meets in the U.S. is enough of a challenge in itself. There are also some members here who are in college or university which makes attending for them very difficult as well. There are certain factors like these that make up a part of the group here on this side of the pond, so there is that as well.

Also add to this is the fact that the Euro is more valuable than the American dollar, so that is an added cost as well. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have always heard things like accommodations and other expenses tend to be more expensive on average, compared to the U.S., and that potentially would be an added cost as well. As for me, I live in Canada and unfortunately our dollar is even less than that of the U.S. dollar. The Canadian dollar is currently valued at about 21% less than the U.S. dollar, and about 33% less than the Euro, so the expenses mentioned above would be even more for me. Especially for a flight over.

Believe me when I say this, I would LOVE to attend a meet in Europe, but it just isn't very likely for me. :( Especially right now. Even to plan a meet in the U.S. costs me on average about $2,000-$2,500 Canadian after every expense is tallied, so just attending meets in the U.S. is a challenge enough for me. I am sure a meet in Europe would be much more than that, and unfortunately I have my limits. No matter where the meet is. :(

With that said, and not to confuse things even more, I have another potential AvatarMeet venue in mind as well. It's something I've had in mind for a good while now, and is something I have put in the minds of the planning team for the last few years. I was hoping to help plan a meet for 2016, but the Toruk show turned out to be that year, so I had to put off my plans for it. Same goes for this year's meet at Pandora. Those were two big meets where the meet just had to be (no questions asked), so I've just held off publicly sharing my idea for a meet all this time. I will be making a separate thread about my idea here in the AvatarMeet 2018 subforum, so be sure to keep an eye out for it in the coming days. ;) :-[