AvatarMeet(S)(?) 2019 - Location Possibilities Discussion

Started by Alan, December 26, 2018, 04:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Kaltxì ma frapo,

I just wanted to start a thread to look at all the possibilities for AvatarMeet 2019...or maybe multiple AvatarMeets. ;) 2019 will mark ten years since 'Avatar Day' and the release of the film.  So it would be an ideal opportunity to mark that some how.  The questions are: Where, when and how?  Below is a list of a number of possibilities.  See what you think and share your thoughts on them.

Link in with Cirque du Soleil's Toruk - The First Flight show:
There are a number of locations and some have already been suggested.  Some of the shows are quite soon as well, which would make for a 'mini-meet'.  Seat availability varies on what day you go to see the show.  So below looks at Saturday evenings.  The location title has a hyper link to a google map showing their location.  There are also links to the ticket booking pages for each location:

Each of the above could be an AvatarMiniMeet or full blown AvatarMeet.  However, the later dates would be better for a full AvatarMeet, to give time for events and activities to be organised.

All the above dates for Cirque du Soleil are in Europe of course, but the majority of the AvatarMeets have been in the US and so what are the possibilities here?  Well, I'll list a few here, but I'm sure others will be able to offer more.  The key is to think about the the weather and venue popularity at a particular time of year.

• Hocking Hills, Ohio:
    This has been suggested by Txawey on this thread
  • Los Angeles, California:
    We had an amazing visit here is 2014.  It has been suggested that we visit again to pay Paul and John a visit and possibly see if Lightstorm have any availability, although this may be unlikely.  There would also be the possibility of visiting the local nature reserve again to do some further volunteering in habitat restoration.
  • Animal Kingdom, Florida:
    We visited Pandora in 2017 and had an outstanding experience.  There are a number of Avatar fans located here too.  I don't think many of us would pass up the opportunity to ride an ikran multiple times again.  As in 2017, it would probably be best to visit in the off season (if there ever is one), or when the super bowel is as it can be quiet then.  There is also the volunteering opportunity that we could do again.

Avatar Day was on 21st August 2009.  It was the day when Jim took over a large number of IMAX cinemas across the world and previewed 15 minutes of Avatar free to anyone who turned up.

So, as a possibility, what level of interest is there in trying to celebrate this event on the same day this year?  Perhaps we could tie in with Lightstorm and view that original 15 minutes that was shown?  Maybe this could be part of an AvatarMeet, or a number of mini-meets all held at the same time.  Maybe it could be a world-wide Avatar fan celebration again with a shopping list of activities for people to do and share on-line.  From cosplay and learning Na'vi through to volunteering and art work.  There could be a lot of possibilities for this.  Does it spark your imagination?

Loads of AvatarMiniMeets:
Besides or instead of having one big AvatarMeet, why not have AvatarMiniMeets?  There have been a few in the past in Germany, UK and Canada.

If people are interested in doing this, we can post a shed load of hints and tips to organise your own mini-meet wherever you are.

So what do you think?  Do you have any suggestions?

Alan

Wind12

Kxì ma Alan!! :)  so many awesome possibilities, As for me, I am kind of split between two thoughts, 1. trying to make one of the England Toruk shows, as it would be awesome to see Toruk again, and I have been wanting to see if I could make it to Europe and also it would be cool to visit my UK smuk( also that location would possibly be a good one for someone like me hoping to find a flight that doesn't have a layover after it gets across the sea ;). The big issue with this is that it would be VERY expensive from the standpoint for coming from the US.
2. Going to an Avatar meet/'large" mini meet here in the US. This would obviously be more reasonable money wise( even I trip to the Animal Kingdom would likely be cheaper than going to Europe) If there is a meet in the US I would likely go for that if there was going to be more than just 2 or 3 people( unless it is in a very travel accesable area). Really all the North America ideas seem fun, and I would be up for any of them, doing something for Avatar day in August would be cool, (even if we couldn't "go" to Lightstorm, I think that I would still be neat if we could all gather in a public area with the building in the background to say take an Avatar meet selfie with Lightstorm in the background to show our support and excitment for our favorite Franchise and to say Irayo for everything Lightstorm has done for us., the only thing though is I am not sure on what other "activites" we could do as a clan after the photo op, since LA is a VERY Busy city with alot of traffic, but still a thought. 

As for the Hocking Hills idea, that also seems like a fun, and nature filled area. Also it seems that it would be full of activites that not only would be out in nature, but also fairly cheap and that could be a nice thing for any US/north America member. the only thing is that it seems to be a spread out area, even though I did hear that there is a bus service from the airport to some of the locations, transportation would be something that I wonder about, but if a  group wanted to go there this is a nice idea as well.

As for Animal Kingdom, well I would jump at any chance to go back to Pandora, and there would obviously be an Avatar themed thing to do ;) already baked in that helps, and since it is in a somewhat close area to the airport(Orlando) and there are smuk that live in the area it would also be a good choice( aslo going in the fall again would give more time to plan and try to save a bit for it.( Super Bowl time would be in 2020 because that event is in Early February, but I think late Oct. or Early November would be a good idea for that possibility, also I really liked the hotel that we stayed in last time, so there is a bit of a bonus to kind of "knowing" the place for some of us.

As for me, if for somereason there wasn't going to be a large meet ( or decent sized mini meet) over here, I def. want to try for the UK, but time is a bit of an issue on that since ticket availibility may not be reliable as time goes foreward, at the same time if there is going to be a decent sized meet here( north America) then that would be def. more economically responsible for me :P, but if people want to just do mini meets, go for it :) and then I will just try and pick from them :). Either way I will be watching to see what comes along ma smuktu.

Erratically

i live by Houston tx but i realy cant go unless its close to Houston tx and in the summer time because i have school ):

Kxanay

Txawey

I'm down for all of the US options tbqh.  I really like the idea of meeting up with Paul and John in LA if we could make that happen (bonus points if we could do something with Lightstorm) and I'm definitely down for an Animal Kingdom visit!  I like the Hocking Hills idea (and yes, partially because I suggested it  :P) mostly for convenience and relatively cheap options for lodging and entertainment, but with it being the 10th anniversary and all, I honestly think we should save Hocking Hills for later and do one of the other 2 to celebrate.

If people are interested, I actually have a planned trip in May for WDW already and would love to meet up with some people at Animal Kingdom in a sort of mini-meet kind of thing  :D  I can post more details in another thread.

Alan

Quote from: Wind12 on December 26, 2018, 01:54:01 PM
... As for me, I am kind of split between two thoughts, 1. trying to make one of the England Toruk shows, as it would be awesome to see Toruk again, and I have been wanting to see if I could make it to Europe and also it would be cool to visit my UK smuk( also that location would possibly be a good one for someone like me hoping to find a flight that doesn't have a layover after it gets across the sea ;). The big issue with this is that it would be VERY expensive from the standpoint for coming from the US.

To a certain extent Manchester would be the better place as there are direct flights to and from the US, which may be cheaper than going to London.  Also the airport in closer to the city centre in Manchester with a direct rail route into the city centre.  The arena where the Toruk show will be is also next to one of the main stations in the city.  Manchester is also not far from the Derbyshire Peak District, which is good for walking and scenery.

Quote from: Wind12 link=topic=28292.msg660562#msg660562 date=1https://forum.learnnavi.org/Smileys/learnnavi-ani/cry.gif545854041...if for some reason there wasn't going to be a large meet ( or decent sized mini meet) over here, I def. want to try for the UK, but time is a bit of an issue on that since ticket availibility may not be reliable as time goes foreward, at the same time if there is going to be a decent sized meet here( north America) then that would be def. more economically responsible for me :P, but if people want to just do mini meets, go for it :) and then I will just try and pick from them :). Either way I will be watching to see what comes along ma smuktu.

Well, I guess it's just a case of finding out what people would like to do.  It might be that more mini-meets might be the thing.  At least more people will be able to meet up that way.
Quote from: Erratically on December 27, 2018, 07:45:22 PM
i live by Houston tx but i realy cant go unless its close to Houston tx and in the summer time because i have school ):
Perhaps if there were some mini-meets which could be held more locally you could go to one?  I know of at least two Avatar fans in Texas.

Quote from: Kxanay on December 28, 2018, 01:27:54 AM
I'm in another country altogether. :P
This is where I do some time travel as you are in 2019 whilst I type this in 2018!  There's no reason why there couldn't be a meet up over your way.  I know four Avatar fans in Oz, and there will be more of course.

Quote from: Txawey on December 30, 2018, 11:27:46 PM
If people are interested, I actually have a planned trip in May for WDW already and would love to meet up with some people at Animal Kingdom in a sort of mini-meet kind of thing  :D  I can post more details in another thread.

Please do!  Post on the AvatarMeet Facebook group too.  There are quite a few Avatar fans in Florida who won't need much of an excuse to meet up in Pandora, believe me.  Take a look: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmLuW3d63T0&t

Alan

Wind12

Irayo for the input ma Alan :)!! hmmm all the options are so tempting :D interesting info about Manchester as well ;)

Alan

Yeah, its a bit like a meet up buffet where you want everything, but can only have a little bit!  Hehehe

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'm certainly up for Animal Kingdom (1st choice) or LA (2nd choice). Any place in Ohio doesn't get me very excited, after what the State did to their exotic animal owners in 2012. (The Cincinnatti Zoo is really cool, though and has the finest collection of felines of any public zoo in North America)

I, too would like to see Toruk one more time, and I'm bummed they skipped Reno this time. However, I suspect foreign travel is out for me at this time. Still though, its intriguing, and one of those dates is close to the Language Creation Conference, which is  also in England at approximately the same time.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Txawey

If we were to do Hocking Hills, one place I would suggest we definitely go to is the Wilds.  It's about an hour and a half drive from the Hocking Hills/Athens area, but is the largest conservation center in the US.  They do bus tours, zipline tours, and even behind the scenes tours!  I'd honestly suggest we stay there for AvatarMeet if it wasn't 45 minutes outside of literally any vestige of civilization  :P

Ertew

Poland meetup is fully planned. 3 or 4 persons will meets for single day to enjoy CdS Toruk show. Sadly that's all we have. Hope other possible locations have more luck.

I'm open for Prague. I know (mini) meetup will happened here. Hope this meetup will be something more than Czech team and Me. Munich sound's good but I don't think I can made it.

Other locations (UK and USA) - sadly too far from me and the travel is too expensive.

P.S. It would be nice to split continents (Europe / America) from beginning. Navigating through single thread and searching relevant posts is a waste of time for both sides of the ocean.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Toliman

Quote from: Ertew on January 06, 2019, 04:27:18 PM
I'm open for Prague. I know (mini) meetup will happened here. Hope this meetup will be something more than Czech team and Me.
Yeah :)
I hope that you will can arrive!

Quote from: Ertew on January 06, 2019, 04:27:18 PM
P.S. It would be nice to split continents (Europe / America) from beginning. Navigating through single thread and searching relevant posts is a waste of time for both sides of the ocean.
Good idea!

Ikxeru

Any of the US locations sound fun.

i) Ohio... it will be like the meetup at Shenanndoah, right?   Maybe we can make a split-location meetup with a city part in Columbus and then go to the parks?  Sounds fun!
ii) Orlando...  well...  Flight of Passage. Period! :D    (however, we urgently need help from the master wizards to get FastPasses for the group)
iii) Los Angeles...  wouldn't it be amazing if we could sneak into the Lightstorm projection room again and watch Avatar together with them?  Visiting Paul and John is definitely txantsan nìwotx. :)

Taking about a European meetup:  Munich will be a hotspot location for a meetup. Almost all attendees of the Cologne meetup plus some more consider to repeat a meetup there and already intended that they want to meet there.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Alan

That's great a meet up is already being planned :)

I've just posted a survey in this meet up area and on the AvatarMeet Facebook page to gauge what folks would like to do.

Alan

Wind12