Started by Toruk Makto, December 06, 2019, 05:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wind12

Colorado was Amazing :) if there are enough members with vehicles that want to do that again, that would be a blast. Irayo for offering your Cabin area again ma Toruk Makto. :)

Ewa'tuì

I second the idea of having our meet somewhere along the east coast! As someone new to meetups, I would love for my first one to happen somewhere accessible.

May I recommend a place? There is a state park near where I live, right on the beach, and there is large cabins you can rent. I worked there seasonally last summer and I worked the kayak launch, beach time and forest time would be awesome! Plenty of nice trails, and there is places to fish and swim. If the parking fills up for the cabin there is beach parking for $6 within walking distance. If you don't like cabins, they have tent spots, camper spots, and rent able yurts! I think a state park would be an awesome way to connect to nature, like a true na'vi would.

Just an idea! ♥

Ewa'tuì

Quote from: Ewa tuì on February 20, 2020, 09:56:41 PM
I second the idea of having our meet somewhere along the east coast! As someone new to meetups, I would love for my first one to happen somewhere accessible.

May I recommend a place? There is a state park near where I live, right on the beach, and there is large cabins you can rent. I worked there seasonally last summer and I worked the kayak launch, beach time and forest time would be awesome! Plenty of nice trails, and there is places to fish and swim. If the parking fills up for the cabin there is beach parking for $6 within walking distance. If you don't like cabins, they have tent spots, camper spots, and rent able yurts! I think a state park would be an awesome way to connect to nature, like a true na'vi would.

Just an idea! ♥

Oh, did I also mention that if you don't park with the cabin, it's only $6 a day per vehicle? That just covers parking, and you have full access to the swimming beaches and trails and such once you pay the parking fee. (Also! They have natural gardens, like their butterfly garden and Sunday fields, and places to birdwatch. They have a big 'ol playground and a nice pier-like structure near the ocean you can fish off of, with plenty of gazebos and benches. Very peaceful there!)

Wind12

Sounds like a potentially fun option :), is it somewhat close to an airport? Is it easy to access for non drivers? Looking forward to the 2020 meet :D.

Ewa'tuì

Quote from: Wind12 on February 21, 2020, 01:43:23 AM
Sounds like a potentially fun option :), is it somewhat close to an airport? Is it easy to access for non drivers? Looking forward to the 2020 meet :D.

We have the Norfolk airport, which according to Google Maps is 41 minutes away from the park. Also a toll for that bridge you have to go over, the other nearest airport would be more than an hour away... Perhaps that would be difficult.  :(

Wind12

It still sounds like a cool place, in years past we had more members for the North American meets and it was possible for people to communicate with other members to arrive at the closest airport and then carpool to the meetsite and back, but often times it seems the planners found a spot in the city of the host airport, that was easy to get to with public transport, and then we did activities together in day trips around the area. If we have a limited number of people again, it might be better to find a place where the hotel "or staying site" is close to the main airport( also public transport/shuttle is a bit less CO2 intensive.)

Ewa'tuì

Quote from: Wind12 on February 21, 2020, 02:20:48 PM
It still sounds like a cool place, in years past we had more members for the North American meets and it was possible for people to communicate with other members to arrive at the closest airport and then carpool to the meetsite and back, but often times it seems the planners found a spot in the city of the host airport, that was easy to get to with public transport, and then we did activities together in day trips around the area. If we have a limited number of people again, it might be better to find a place where the hotel "or staying site" is close to the main airport( also public transport/shuttle is a bit less CO2 intensive.)

Indeed, regardless I would love to tag along with whatever we come up with! Virginia Beach is always an option, but it is crowded. That's why I suggested a state park, but we might find difficulty finding a good one.

Txawey

I'd also like to put forth the suggestion of Hocking Hills OH again for 2020, as there is a massive national forest, tons of hiking trails, Ohio University nearby, and is about 1.5-2 hours from the nation's largest wildlife conservation complex: The Wilds.  I would suggest the Wilds by itself, but it is pretty far from any semblance of civilization, though, now that I think about it, most of us would probably be ok with that.  ;D

Toruk Makto

With the AVTR2 sequel set in the oceans of Pandora, perhaps a beach meetup is called for...    -M.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Wind12

Quote from: Toruk Makto on February 25, 2020, 12:24:53 AM
With the AVTR2 sequel set in the oceans of Pandora, perhaps a beach meetup is called for...    -M.

I kind of sea what you are saying ;) If we go the non Florida route, I'm assuming the meet will be more of a summerish time frame which means it could come up on us fast. The Ohio idea also sounds cool if there is transportation. :) looking forward to meeting up with my Avatar smuk again and maybe seeing some new faces.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I doubt I will be able to attend anything this year. Unless I find a job very soon, I will be lucky to have a home :(

I like the Toronto idea. Toronto is a beautiful, clean world class city, and would undoubtedly make for a great meetup. In addition to what has already been talked about, Toronto has a world class zoo, and a place called the African Lion Safari in nearby Kitchener.

I miss the days when Toronto was an easy day trip, when I lived in Rochester, NY.

I also would enjoy Pandora again. Besides the wonders of Pandora, there is the Kennedy Space Center. Maybe we will be lucky enough to have a launch while we are there.

Something on the West coast would be welcome as well, as I actually have some chance of being able to attend.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 25, 2020, 10:16:31 PM
I doubt I will be able to attend anything this year. Unless I find a job very soon, I will be lucky to have a home :(
:(  :(
I hope that you will get a job soon.

Wind12

I hope that things turn around for you soon ma 'EA. I concur with your thoughts on Toronto, it seems though getting most US members on board with having a passport is kind of a challenge, but I did enjoy my time in Canada in 2018. Still there are plenty of cool areas in the US too so I'm sure we will land on something.

Wind12

Some more thoughts/rambles for AM2020 from me...
Time is... March...ing foreward :p on 2020 so fast. One thing is a point for Pandora or another south US meet? Would be that it would likely be a late fall meet which would give more time to prepare. Also while having the perks that we had last time at Pandora was AMAZING and I will always be greatful for that experience, I would def. Still be down for going even if we "just" had the vanilla experience, as it is Pandora :).
That being said, the other options sound fun as well, soon though summer will be getting closer and I already heard a coworker talking about plans for a summer trip, so hopefully time will still be on my side :p.
The last note is the possible uncertainty? over any issues the coronovirus issue might cause, IDK if a later in the year meet might give things a chance to work themselves out, or if summer might be our best bet hoping that the virus slows down during the summer.  IDK just some thoughts :) siva ko!

Nawmtirea

If the meetup is in Pandora again this year, having it in November would be ideal. Our business' super busy season is Aug-Oct, so those months are off-limits to us. November is perfect for us to get away to relax while our bank account is still happy (last November's meet cost us $5000(CAN) to fly down to Florida for a week - the exchange rate is brutal). It is also in the slower crowd season at Disney between summer and Christmas breaks (ya know, if everyone really doesn't want to come up to Canada for a meet) ;), and as Wind12 mentioned, gives the Corona virus issue time to subside. Who knows, by November the virus may have messed up tourism and the economy to the point where Disney might be offering deals to get people to travel again.

Wind12

Srane, Canada is cool, but getting people to get passports can be tough, it is a chunk of change on short notice, but a worthwhile investment imo. I'm hoping this virus stuff backs off this summer, a. It would give time for it to be dealt with and b. I don't want to have to sit at home all summer, I miss my Avatar soaia.

Nawmtirea

Actually, come to think of it, we shut down our business a week before Halloween, so the last week of October would be great timing for the Meetup. The corona virus should be a distant memory by then, and if we meet the last weekend of October, Disney's Haunted Mansion will still be decorated with the Nightmare Before Christmas theme, and Universal Studios will be having their Halloween Horror nights. We've never been to either park around Halloween and have been dying to go for the Universal Horror nights, so that would definitely offer something a little different than the previous Pandora meetups. :)

Talia

Kyttin13

Does anyone know if passports expire?? My husband and I got ours for our Honeymoon. 13 years ago.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Kyttin13 on May 02, 2020, 04:43:06 PM
Does anyone know if passports expire?? My husband and I got ours for our Honeymoon. 13 years ago.
Yes they do. I don't know what options you have in the US but here the maximum you can pay for is 10 years.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu