Started by Toruk Makto, December 06, 2019, 05:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

Greetings, ma frapo!

This is the forum board for AvatarMeet(s) 2020. Information will be presented here as plans for meetups progress, so check back often!

-M.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Nawmtirea

Way back in 2011, I hosted an Avatar Meet in Toronto for the members of the (now defunct) NaviBlue fan site. Toronto is about a 1.5hr drive from Niagara Falls, but I currently live in Hamilton, ON which is about 35min from the Falls. The Meet was in the summer (it's Canada, you want to come in the summer ;D )and we went to Niagara Falls, to Canada's Wonderland (a large amusement park with some of the biggest roller coasters in the world) and as luck had it, we got to see the Avatar re-release in The Cinesphere - the worlds first permanent IMAX theatre (IMAX is a Canadian invention!). I happen to work for a large film & TV post production facility, so I gave everyone a tour of the post production process (foley, ADR, sound mix, etc) and we watched the Avatar deleted scenes on the big screen in one of the colour grading theatres. The facility is also home to one of only 2 IMAX sound mixing theatres in North America, and the added scenes for the Avatar re-release were actually sound mixed here (I was working one floor above the theatre and going nuts that I couldn't sit in on the sound mix - I work editorial, not sound, and of course security is tight). It's hard to beat a Meetup at Lightstorm or Pandora (although ma muntxante and I couldn't go to the Lightstorm Meet, so another Meet there would be awesome). If no one comes up with any better places for the 2020 meet, how about Toronto? If we could somehow contact Jon Landau to give the OK for us to screen Avatar at my work (I'd have to go through official channels for it, but who would say no to Jon?), it would be awesome to watch it in the IMAX mixing theatre where parts of the film were actually sound mixed (no promises, but worth a shot).  If that didn't work out, there are a few independent theatres in Hamilton that I could rent for a private screening.  American visitors also get the benefit of an extra 30-35% exchange rate on the dollar. I know it's early, just putting that idea out there.

Toruk Makto

Hey NT,

You know, we tried a Canadian meetup a couple of years ago that didn't really work out. I'm guessing it was due to the international travel issue and passports for US participants, or something.  Although I'd like to attempt a northern meetup again at some point (it is gorgeous up there), I am really pushing for a US event for this year since we haven't had a big one since Orlando in 2017.  The 10th anniversary has brought some attention back to Avatar that I would like to capitalize on for AvatarMeet 2020.  I'd love to see the entire fan community back together (with as many new friends as we can get!) for a single event as the penultimate meetup before the sequel year.  It is, of course, the will of the community as to where we go (and when), so we'll see how things work out.

I am going to wait until after the holidays before trying to really motivate the planning for the 2020 meet, so stay tuned.  Additionally, although I defer to the other planners that have historically been in on setting things up, I think anyone else that would like to jump in and assist in the planning of the 2020 event is most welcome in my book. :D

-M.

Nawmtirea

We were unable to go to the Lightstorm meetup, so if they would have the Avatarmeet back at Lightstorm again we would definitely be going!

Alan

Yeah we did organise a meet up in Canada in 2018.  Four of us ended up in Toronto.  It was easy to get to (two of us went by train from New York).  We also did some volunteering at an old Brickworks that had been made into a nature reserve.  We also when onto the island just of Toronto.  There is actually a lot to see and do in Toronto and whilst it looks the same as an US city (well to me from the UK), the vibe of street cars, bikes and accessibility was distinctly Canadian.  I recall the sidewalks feeling more busy that the roads!

I think it would be good for folks to visit Canada.  I know there is a passport thing to consider, but with enough time, it may well be doable for people.

I'm still perfectly ok with it being in the US too.  The only thing I really hold dear is making it accessible to everyone.  That includes those without a car.  I mean, Avatar is about environmental awareness too. :)

Below is a shopping list of things we have done in the past:

Visit related museums – Native American Museum, science and natural history museums
    Go on day field trips – hiking, trips to the coast, cave visits
    Avatar Connection – Avatar exhibitions, Disney Pandora, Cirque du Soleil Toruk – The First Flight
    Showing of Avatar in the best possible way we can achieve
    Na'vi Lesson – for which we are indebted to Paul for providing these
    Cosplay - for those who want to do that and normally make a full day of it
    Na'vi craft - undertake craft activities, such as making Na'vi jewlery and clothing items
    Volunteering activity – usually habitat rehabilitation at a local nature reserve, but it would be great if this could be with a community group in the future.

Duration tends to vary and sometimes includes a 'pre-meet', such as hiking of site seeing prior to the main event.  Normally it is arrive on a Wednesday and depart on a Sunday.  Again this is flexible to suit the attendees.

Alan

Wind12

I have to echo what Alan said, especially on accessibilty, one of the big things for me is knowing I can get to the hotel on my own( if I have to), I have an Avatar 'eylan that lives in Toronto and visited there him him Alan and another Avatar smuk, And Poutine is yummers so I'd go back in a heartbeat. That being said, Lightstorm and Pandora would also be obvious "Hell yeas" I haven't signed an NDA in a few years ;) :p :) but where ever it ends up being, as long as I can be with my Avatar smuk, It will be epic. Siva ko  :toruk:

Nawmtirea

Quote from: Alan on December 20, 2019, 01:04:58 PM
Yeah we did organize a meet up in Canada in 2018.  Four of us ended up in Toronto. 

There was a meet up in Toronto in 2018?!?!  How did I not know about this? I followed the Avatar Meet site every year and this slipped right past me. Now I'm curious as to who the other big Avatar fans are in my area!

CyanRachel

Kaltxi! :)

Having been a part of the 2018 Avatar mini-meet in Toronto, I'd welcome the opportunity to return there for an even bigger meetup, as I really enjoyed my time there, and really enjoyed visiting in Canada in general. :D

However, having AvatarMeet 2020 in the U.S. would also be fine with me of course...especially if it was somewhere on the East Coast. :D

Don't really have any other suggestions/ideas at this point as to a particular location in the U.S. that would be ideal for AvatarMeet 2020. There are a couple of cities I'd really like to visit, but I'm not sure they'd make for the best meetup places.... :-\
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

TrueLoveforNeytiri

Quote from: Nawmtirea on December 19, 2019, 12:34:35 AM
Way back in 2011, I hosted an Avatar Meet in Toronto for the members of the (now defunct) NaviBlue fan site. Toronto is about a 1.5hr drive from Niagara Falls, but I currently live in Hamilton, ON which is about 35min from the Falls. The Meet was in the summer (it's Canada, you want to come in the summer ;D )and we went to Niagara Falls, to Canada's Wonderland (a large amusement park with some of the biggest roller coasters in the world) and as luck had it, we got to see the Avatar re-release in The Cinesphere - the worlds first permanent IMAX theatre (IMAX is a Canadian invention!). I happen to work for a large film & TV post production facility, so I gave everyone a tour of the post production process (foley, ADR, sound mix, etc) and we watched the Avatar deleted scenes on the big screen in one of the colour grading theatres. The facility is also home to one of only 2 IMAX sound mixing theatres in North America, and the added scenes for the Avatar re-release were actually sound mixed here (I was working one floor above the theatre and going nuts that I couldn't sit in on the sound mix - I work editorial, not sound, and of course security is tight). It's hard to beat a Meetup at Lightstorm or Pandora (although ma muntxante and I couldn't go to the Lightstorm Meet, so another Meet there would be awesome). If no one comes up with any better places for the 2020 meet, how about Toronto? If we could somehow contact Jon Landau to give the OK for us to screen Avatar at my work (I'd have to go through official channels for it, but who would say no to Jon?), it would be awesome to watch it in the IMAX mixing theatre where parts of the film were actually sound mixed (no promises, but worth a shot).  If that didn't work out, there are a few independent theatres in Hamilton that I could rent for a private screening.  American visitors also get the benefit of an extra 30-35% exchange rate on the dollar. I know it's early, just putting that idea out there.

That's cool. I had no idea there was a Na'viBlue meet in Toronto in 2011. I saw Avatar for the first time on Jan. 7, 2010, and have been (and still continue to be) a passionate fan ever since. But I wasn't actually active in the community until April of 2013 (it's a long story), so I never would have heard about it then either. Wish I could have been there for it. I live in Toronto and sadly, I have never met any Avatar fans online from here. :( Nor have I ever run into any other fans in my travels around the city. It sure would have been cool to attend the meet! I see you're in Hamilton though! Maybe we'll have to get together sometime or something! :D Feel free to message me here anytime if you want to get acquainted. I'm actually rarely here on LN, but I'll be sure to keep an eye open if you're up for a chat. :)

Funny thing though: I went to the Cinesphere to see the Special Edition re-release too! Who knows? We could have been there at the same time and never knew! ;D That's interesting about your place of work doing the mixing for the added scenes for the re-release. I'd never heard of that before. You have any more info on it?

Yeah we did organise a meet up in Canada in 2018.  Four of us ended up in Toronto.  It was easy to get to (two of us went by train from New York).  We also did some volunteering at an old Brickworks that had been made into a nature reserve.  We also when onto the island just of Toronto.  There is actually a lot to see and do in Toronto and whilst it looks the same as an US city (well to me from the UK), the vibe of street cars, bikes and accessibility was distinctly Canadian.  I recall the sidewalks feeling more busy that the roads!

I think it would be good for folks to visit Canada.  I know there is a passport thing to consider, but with enough time, it may well be doable for people.

I'm still perfectly ok with it being in the US too.  The only thing I really hold dear is making it accessible to everyone.  That includes those without a car.  I mean, Avatar is about environmental awareness too. :)

Below is a shopping list of things we have done in the past:

Visit related museums – Native American Museum, science and natural history museums
    Go on day field trips – hiking, trips to the coast, cave visits
    Avatar Connection – Avatar exhibitions, Disney Pandora, Cirque du Soleil Toruk – The First Flight
    Showing of Avatar in the best possible way we can achieve
    Na'vi Lesson – for which we are indebted to Paul for providing these
    Cosplay - for those who want to do that and normally make a full day of it
    Na'vi craft - undertake craft activities, such as making Na'vi jewlery and clothing items
    Volunteering activity – usually habitat rehabilitation at a local nature reserve, but it would be great if this could be with a community group in the future.

Duration tends to vary and sometimes includes a 'pre-meet', such as hiking of site seeing prior to the main event.  Normally it is arrive on a Wednesday and depart on a Sunday.  Again this is flexible to suit the attendees.

Alan

Haha! Yeah, Toronto has a similar feel to other North American cities for sure. But just like any city, it has many things about it that set it apart from all the others. It really is true how busy the sidewalks are here though. It's funny, because I never think about that. It's just so normal for me to see people walking and cycling everywhere from place to place. Myself included. But I think if there was ever to be an official meet here in the future that people would feel right at home if they lived in a city anywhere else in the U.S. Toronto has a very familiar feel, but again, it has lots of different things to offer. I just wish we had more time while you and our other meylan were here so I could have shown you guys more, and done more things. Maybe another time down the road! :D

While I more than likely won't be able to attend the meet this coming year (unless things change), I do agree that accessibility and inclusion is a very important part of the AvatarMeets, and has been an important signature of the meets in the past. Not everyone drives or has the money to rent a car on top of their travel and accommodation expenses, so public transportation and other similar options are always an important consideration. And totally agreed on your "AvatarMeet shopping list", ma Alan! ;)

Quote from: Wind12 on December 20, 2019, 01:27:17 PM
I have to echo what Alan said, especially on accessibilty, one of the big things for me is knowing I can get to the hotel on my own( if I have to), I have an Avatar 'eylan that lives in Toronto and visited there him him Alan and another Avatar smuk, And Poutine is yummers so I'd go back in a heartbeat. That being said, Lightstorm and Pandora would also be obvious "Hell yeas" I haven't signed an NDA in a few years ;) :p :) but where ever it ends up being, as long as I can be with my Avatar smuk, It will be epic. Siva ko  :toruk:

Yep. Accessibility is always very important with the meets. The Toronto mini-meet was a perfect example of that, because at least three of the four of us don't drive! hrh :D But it's also important for people coming in from all corners of the continent, and from across the Atlantic (or elsewhere!) to have the option to get around without much added expense or hassle at all.

Who's this Toronto 'eylan you speak of though??? You actually found one here??? :o .....Oh wait, that's me! ;D Man, it sure would be nice to have another Avatar friend here in the city! It still amazes me that there aren't any (seemingly) active fans here. :( Hopefully after the sequels start coming out! 8) But yeah, poutine is delicious and I'd have you back in a heartbeat, ma tsmuk! :)

Quote from: Nawmtirea on December 23, 2019, 12:37:36 AM
Yeah we did organize a meet up in Canada in 2018.  Four of us ended up in Toronto. 

There was a meet up in Toronto in 2018?!?!  How did I not know about this? I followed the Avatar Meet site every year and this slipped right past me. Now I'm curious as to who the other big Avatar fans are in my area!

Yeah, there was a relatively unplanned mini-meet in Toronto. I was one of the planners for the Toronto mini-meet, as well as for the main meet in Vancouver that year. The meet in Toronto wasn't part of the official planning, so it wasn't posted on the official AvatarMeet site. The meet in Toronto was actually a last minute thing, because even though I helped plan the meet in Vancouver, due to unforeseen circumstances, I was unfortunately unable to attend. So some of the people who planned to go to the Vancouver meet (who are also dear friends of mine) decided to visit me in Toronto beforehand since I couldn't go to Vancouver.

In hindsight, it would have been good to post about the mini-meet better than we did, but by that point we were very pressed for time and it would have been very difficult to get everything co-ordinated with the AvatarMeet site's web designer to get all the proper information out in time. So unfortunately it turned out to be a quick put-together mini-meet on the fly. It would have been cool to have one more Avatar fan onboard though! :-[

Quote from: CyanRachel on December 23, 2019, 07:35:25 PM
Kaltxi! :)

Having been a part of the 2018 Avatar mini-meet in Toronto, I'd welcome the opportunity to return there for an even bigger meetup, as I really enjoyed my time there, and really enjoyed visiting in Canada in general. :D

However, having AvatarMeet 2020 in the U.S. would also be fine with me of course...especially if it was somewhere on the East Coast. :D

Don't really have any other suggestions/ideas at this point as to a particular location in the U.S. that would be ideal for AvatarMeet 2020. There are a couple of cities I'd really like to visit, but I'm not sure they'd make for the best meetup places.... :-\

It would be nice to have you again, Rachel! Perhaps again one day! :D

Alan

Ahhh, yeah.  What TrueLoveforNeytiri said.  A couple of us caught the train from New York to Toronto and met up with Wind12 and TLfN.  Shame we didn't advertise it, like TLfN mentioned, it would be a good place to have a meet up.  Hopefully would get an Ikran's view from the CN tower, unlike when I dragged everyone up into the clouds.  Hehehe

Alan

TrueLoveforNeytiri

Quote from: Alan on December 31, 2019, 12:13:22 PM
Ahhh, yeah.  What TrueLoveforNeytiri said.  A couple of us caught the train from New York to Toronto and met up with Wind12 and TLfN.  Shame we didn't advertise it, like TLfN mentioned, it would be a good place to have a meet up.  Hopefully would get an Ikran's view from the CN tower, unlike when I dragged everyone up into the clouds.  Hehehe

Alan

Those white windows were amazing! What are you talking about? ;D Seriously, it was still a lot of fun though. It was nice to essentially have the entire CN Tower to ourselves! I guess that will be an excuse to come for another visit someday! ;) It's too bad though, because the view was amazing when me and Wind12 went back the next day. :-[ One day perhaps, ma Alan! One day! :)

Alan

Yeah, the white-out was quite surreal.  Definitely an excuse to go again.  The staff there were really nice too.

Alan

TrueLoveforNeytiri

Quote from: Alan on December 31, 2019, 01:20:41 PM
Yeah, the white-out was quite surreal.  Definitely an excuse to go again.  The staff there were really nice too.

Alan

It really was quite surreal. Serene too. And agreed, the staff was quite nice. But I guess they would be on a day where there is absolutely nothing to do. hrh They were probably just happy to see someone! ;D But you know I'd definitely have you back anytime, ma Alan! Hopefully next time won't be so cold and rainy! It was 34C/93F only a few days before you arrived and it was 25-29C (77-84F) for about a week after you left. I know you don't particularly like warmer temps, so I guess it was either that or the cold and rain. ::)

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the 2020 AvatarMeet planning and conversation, so as you were! :-X .....

Crickett

Quote from: Alan on December 31, 2019, 12:13:22 PM

Alan

Wait, so there were a bunch of Avatar fans in New York in 2018 and I didn't hear about this either.  *Sigh*      :(

Wind12

1/12th of 2020 is already almost over :o :o :p
I am throwing my support behind Pandora for North America meet 2020 :) Positives: PANDORA!!!!! and it's Pandora  :ikran:
Negatives? Well if you fall off of your  :pali: then Tsu'tey will tease you and pivlltxe san tskxe kame nì'ul sìk :p

Toruk Makto

I would be up for that, but let's run it up the flagpole on the Facebook group and see how it's received.  -M.

Crickett

Quote from: Wind12 on January 26, 2020, 02:13:12 AM
1/12th of 2020 is already almost over :o :o :p
I am throwing my support behind Pandora for North America meet 2020 :) Positives: PANDORA!!!!! and it's Pandora  :ikran:
Negatives? Well if you fall off of your  :pali: then Tsu'tey will tease you and pivlltxe san tskxe kame nì'ul sìk :p

The negative I see is that it would be the third time going there in four years.  Granted I didn't go in 2019 and I don't know if I can go in 2020 regardless of where it is, but I wanted to present it for consideration. 

Wind12

Well TBF I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but I still think it is a good idea if the planners don't have another area in mind, also it's PANDORA :D. That being said, like a good Na'vi warrior I am flexible if others decide on a different place ;) I know compared to years past we have been more limited on planners, so I will be grateful for any meeting place in the end :)

Toruk Makto

Another issue with Pandora is that any significant extra interaction with Disney for our group is rather expensive.

Toruk Makto

If we wanted to revisit Colorado again, I'd love to host the camping part at our place like last time.