[For Beginners] FAQ (Please ask your questions here) - II

Started by Tìtstewan, August 20, 2013, 11:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 09:43:35 AM
Oh goodness, so this is where the weird ä's come in. irayo, eylan oeyä. Is there a "very" word, similar to beaucoup in french?

srane :)

the "very" word is nìtxan. Translating it to English could be any of these: much, a lot, very

Have you seen Dict-Na'vi (https://dict-navi.com/) yet? It's an awesome Na'vi Dictionary search engine.

As for the -ä ending (which is a lot like French de / du in meaning), and all other things we add to words, I've written a reference post that lists every single one in the language to refer back to. 

https://forum.learnnavi.org/prefixes-infixes-and-suffixes/easy-guide-to-navi-prefixes-infixes-and-suffixes-ii/

Nuyuvitrayä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 28, 2019, 10:12:41 AM
Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 09:43:35 AM
Oh goodness, so this is where the weird ä's come in. irayo, eylan oeyä. Is there a "very" word, similar to beaucoup in french?

srane :)

the "very" word is nìtxan. Translating it to English could be any of these: much, a lot, very

Have you seen Dict-Na'vi (https://dict-navi.com/) yet? It's an awesome Na'vi Dictionary search engine.

As for the -ä ending (which is a lot like French de / du in meaning), and all other things we add to words, I've written a reference post that lists every single one in the language to refer back to. 

https://forum.learnnavi.org/prefixes-infixes-and-suffixes/easy-guide-to-navi-prefixes-infixes-and-suffixes-ii/

Bookmarked!
Probably essential for my learning, I thank you once again.
All energy is only borrowed, and one day, you have to give it back.

Mech

And one more correction from me...

you said irayo ma eylan oeyä, obviously addressing to me and Tirea.

Since we are 2, you should use the dual number, instead of the plural.

The dual is formed with me+, and this would produce me+'eylan -> meylan.

i hope it's not confusing, you will learn about it with time :)

Feel free to check my website below (my signature)

Tirea Aean

:-\ It seems more likely to me that it was a forgotten ' ('eylan vs. eylan typo) than an actual attempt to use lenition / short-plural over dual number. (most people don't know about lenition, plurals and short plurals this early on) But that indeed is a good point; singular probably wasn't correct either, but that entirely depends on who the intended party being addressed was.

:ikran:

Nuyuvitrayä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 28, 2019, 11:01:30 AM
:-\ It seems more likely to me that it was a forgotten ' ('eylan vs. eylan typo) than an actual attempt to use lenition / short-plural over dual number. (most people don't know about lenition, plurals and short plurals this early on) But that indeed is a good point; singular probably wasn't correct either, but that entirely depends on who the intended party being addressed was.

:ikran:

Sorry mech, you get no thanks haha. In correction, Irayo meylan oeyä. You are both very appreciated.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 11:14:08 AM
Sorry mech, you get no thanks haha. In correction, Irayo ma meylan oeyä. You are both very appreciated.

HRH ;D

don't forget to put "ma" when addressing people by name/title ;)

as Mech said, you will learn about it with time :)

Nuyuvitrayä

So ma meylan would be redundant, correct? and if I was speaking niNa'vi, it would be "Irayo ma Mech, ma 'eylan", right?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 11:25:46 AM
So ma meylan would be redundant, correct? and if I was speaking niNa'vi, it would be "Irayo ma Mech, ma 'eylan", right?
irayo ma meylan = "Thanks, friends[2]"

I think the way you worded it there seems redundant somehow.

Nuyuvitrayä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 28, 2019, 11:33:03 AM
Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 11:25:46 AM
irayo ma meylan = "Thanks, friends[2]"

I think the way you worded it there seems redundant somehow.

I do apologize, I know I'm asking a ton of questions. But going off of what Mech said (Ma + Eylan = Meylan) I had thought that Ma Meylan would be redundant because an element of ma already exists in meylan. Would that be incorrect?

Tirea Aean

oh, this is definitely the exact reason this thread exists :) ask away!

sorry for the confusion but meylan is not a contraction of ma and 'eylan but rather of the me+ prefix (dual number) and 'eylan. ma is an unrelated word used for addressing people.

Nuyuvitrayä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 28, 2019, 11:46:16 AM
oh, this is definitely the exact reason this thread exists :) ask away!

sorry for the confusion but meylan is not a contraction of ma and 'eylan but rather of the me+ prefix (dual number) and 'eylan. ma is an unrelated word used for addressing people.

Ahhh, okay so I misread me for ma, which makes sense now. so ma meylan works. Is Ma a ceremonial adjunct, perhaps? Like "Ma Neyva'ky"? or is it standard for all addressing of others?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 12:52:54 PM
Is Ma a ceremonial adjunct, perhaps? Like "Ma Neyva'ky"? or is it standard for all addressing of others?

It's just standard and obligatory vocative particle used any time you want to address someone. Leaving out ma will cause you to then be talking about someone rather than to them. :)

EDIT: also, leaving it out when it's meant to be there or putting it in when it's not meant to be there most often leads to confusing and ungrammatical sentences.

Nuyuvitrayä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 28, 2019, 12:59:16 PM
Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 12:52:54 PM
Is Ma a ceremonial adjunct, perhaps? Like "Ma Neyva'ky"? or is it standard for all addressing of others?

It's just standard and obligatory vocative particle used any time you want to address someone. Leaving out ma will cause you to then be talking about someone rather than to them. :)

OHhh, okay, that makes sense. so, "Kxi (or kaltxi) ma Tirea Aean, irayo (for, cant find the trans in dictionary) ngeyä srung. Lu nga nitxan srunga'.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 01:04:48 PM
OHhh, okay, that makes sense. so, "Kxi (or kaltxi) ma Tirea Aean, irayo (for, cant find the trans in dictionary) ngeyä srung.

yep.
Kxì / Kaltxì ma Tirea Aean
Hi / Hello, Tirea Aean

I thank you for the help would be
Srungìri oe ngaru irayo seiyi
or for short,
Srungìri irayo.

The for you want in this situation is covered by the topical case ending -ri :)

Lu nga nìtxan srunga'.

tstunwi!

Oeri ran lu srung :)

Nuyuvitrayä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 28, 2019, 01:10:20 PM
OHhh, okay, that makes sense. so, "Kxi (or kaltxi) ma Tirea Aean, irayo (for, cant find the trans in dictionary) ngeyä srung.

yep.
Kxì / Kaltxì ma Tirea Aean
Hi / Hello, Tirea Aean

I thank you for the help would be
Srungìri oe ngaru irayo seiyi
or for short,
Srungìri irayo.

The for you want in this situation is covered by the topical case ending -ri :)

Lu nga nìtxan srunga'.

tstunwi!

Oeri ran lu srung :)

oops, also just realized kaltxí is special. Irayo, ma tsmuk. saftxulí'u oeya (lu?) tsan'ul(it)?

Again, thank you for your patience, this is helping way more than you know.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 01:17:30 PM

oops, also just realized kaltxì is special. Irayo, ma tsmuk. säftxulì'u oeyä (lu?) tsan'erul (it) srak?

yep. dat special ì (i accent grave; it goes the other way)

Na'vi has no helper verb constructions, so lu is never used alongside another verb like be/is in English :) for "am/is/are ___ing", generally we've been using the <er> infix inside the verb.

case endings like -it only go on nouns. the -l and -t are subject and object markers for nouns involved in a transitive action. famous example oel ngati kameie (I See you)

and srak is a marker used to ask yes/no questions.

don't sweat the number of errors / corrections in the early days. everyone does these in the time before they're aware of the grammar rules :) as long as things make more sense over time as we learn from corrections :D

Assisting others to learn this language is a great joy to me :D

Nuyuvitrayä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 28, 2019, 01:34:25 PM
Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 01:17:30 PM

oops, also just realized kaltxì is special. Irayo, ma tsmuk. säftxulì'u oeyä (lu?) tsan'erul (it) srak?

yep. dat special ì (i accent grave; it goes the other way)

Na'vi has no helper verb constructions, so lu is never used alongside another verb like be/is in English :) for "am/is/are ___ing", generally we've been using the <er> infix inside the verb.

case endings like -it only go on nouns. the -l and -t are subject and object markers for nouns involved in a transitive action. famous example oel ngati kameie (I See you)

and srak is a marker used to ask yes/no questions.

don't sweat the number of errors / corrections in the early days. everyone does these in the time before they're aware of the grammar rules :) as long as things make more sense over time as we learn from corrections :D

Assisting others to learn this language is a great joy to me :D

Whoooo, that is a mindboggler. I always love a challenge, and learning Na'vi has emotional drive behind it for me. so, altogether, proper form of that sentence was as follows: "Irayo, ma tsmuk. säftxulì'u oeyä tsan'erul."

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 01:55:23 PM
Whoooo, that is a mindboggler. I always love a challenge, and learning Na'vi has emotional drive behind it for me. so, altogether, proper form of that sentence was as follows: "Irayo, ma tsmuk. säftxulì'u oeyä tsan'erul."

Yeh just a bit. There's kind of a lot going on in there that I wouldn't expect anyone to already know in their first couple days.

Yeah, that sentence means "Thanks, sibling. my speech is improving."

adding srak to the end makes it a yes/no question: "Is my speech improving?" I'm not sure if that was the intention or not. I just assumed it was because there was a question mark there originally.

I suppose it's worth noting also that säftxulì'u is a speech as in, "The clan leader gave a speech".

Nuyuvitrayä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 28, 2019, 02:00:13 PM

Yeh just a bit. There's kind of a lot going on in there that I wouldn't expect anyone to already know in their first couple days.

adding srak to the end makes it a yes/no question: "Is my speech improving?" I'm not sure if that was the intention or not. I just assumed it was because there was a question mark there originally.

I suppose it's worth noting also that säftxulì'u is a speech as in, "The clan leader gave a speech".

Also another thing I find worth noting; couldnt find the non literal version of speech in the dictionary

Nuyuvitrayä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 28, 2019, 02:00:13 PM

Okay, wait a minute, might have just figured something, or im totally wrong haha. If säftxulì'u is a literal speech, would säftxulì by itself just be the noun "speech"? again, thank you for your help