[For Beginners] FAQ (Please ask your questions here) - II

Started by Tìtstewan, August 20, 2013, 11:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

tsyili

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 28, 2019, 08:35:54 PM

Okay, wait a minute, might have just figured something, or im totally wrong haha. If säftxulì'u is a literal speech, would säftxulì by itself just be the noun "speech"? again, thank you for your help
lu pxaya fya'o a fko tsun pivlltxe fìsafpìlteri. 'awa fya'o lu fwa pivlltxe san furia plltxe nìNa'vi, oe tsan'erul srak sìk

Nuyuvitrayä

All energy is only borrowed, and one day, you have to give it back.

Nuyuvitrayä

ouch, posted this in the wrong thread. anywho, so constructing the proverbial na'vi beginner sentence (telling someone something sweet without them knowing) has brought me to this.

Nga lu oeya yawnetu. (yawntu).

Corrections?

tsyili

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 29, 2019, 10:54:02 PM
ouch, posted this in the wrong thread. anywho, so constructing the proverbial na'vi beginner sentence (telling someone something sweet without them knowing) has brought me to this.

Nga lu oeya yawnetu. (yawntu).

Corrections?
*oeyä
txo ngal fìlì'uti leykivatem, tsalì'ukìngìri frawzo. seysonìltsan!

Mech

Don't forget that a and ä are different sounds. The textbox provides us with buttons that they type automatically ä and ì so you can easily type them.

BTW: So far I am not aware of any words that sound so similar that would create a misunderstanding if you spell it wrong. For example in turkish oldum means "I was" and öldüm means "i died". In tahitian tūtu means "cook" and tutu is a type of tree. So the spelling does cause confusion in those cases. But I don't know if there are such cases in Na'vi

Eana Unil

There are a few, for example pxim versus pxìm, kxa... ka, TUte versus tuTE etc., not to mention words changed by lenition,  'eylan... eylan saylahe.

Mech

Ah yea but I dont say about the x's or the 's, but typing special characters. Eg. while hastily writing something you don't have time to look for special characters so you might type "oeya" without any ambiguity because there isn't such a word with a different meaning in Na'vi.

Because of those reasons I type French, Italian, Spanish, Turkish without the special characters (btw I am not a polyglot).

However pxim / pxìm is an interesting case.

Nuyuvitrayä

I did intend to type oeyä, i suppose I goofed. But overall is the sentence/fix structure correct?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 30, 2019, 08:54:20 AM
I did intend to type oeyä, i suppose I goofed. But overall is the sentence/fix structure correct?
Yeah other than the ä thing, looks good. (which is basically what tsyili said. to see translation of her Na'vi text, hover your mouse over it ;) )

Nuyuvitrayä

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 30, 2019, 09:32:08 AM
irayo [si], fì'u lu srunga'

:D txantsan!

just a nit style thingy:
    "si irayo" is strange. though irayo si is literally the only known verb within the class of "__ si" verbs to allow putting the "si" part first, every time I've seen it done this way, the <ei> (seaker's positive mood infix) is used:  seiyi irayo  (heard in the film: ngaru seiyi irayo)
    "irayo si", the full verb-form meaning "[to engage in the act of] thanks" is almost never used by itself like this. Usually it's just "irayo" (the noun form; "thanks").

Nuyuvitrayä

I think i read it under "Na'vi expressions and Idioms" that si irayo was "i thank you". but ngaru seiya irayo does seem more grammatically correct.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 30, 2019, 10:09:27 AM
I think i read it under "Na'vi expressions and Idioms" that si irayo was "i thank you". but ngaru seiya irayo does seem more grammatically correct.

Oh, yeah I see what you mean. That thread/post has a timestamp of 2010-02-01 (Feb 2010), about as ancient as they come :) 2010 was a chaotic time for the language, as that was when we were still trying to reverse-engineer and conjecture about the grammar rules based on what next-to-nothing published we had to go off. A safe rule of thumb is to check timestamps, giving more weight to stuff posted within the last 4 or 5 years and tread with caution on older threads.

Nuyuvitrayä

Is there anyway we could revamp the older posts for newer generations? I'm sure there will be an influx of people interested in learning Na'vi with the sequels approaching.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 30, 2019, 11:08:16 AM
Is there anyway we could revamp the older posts for newer generations? I'm sure there will be an influx of people interested in learning Na'vi with the sequels approaching.

I'm not sure what we can do. For now, everything in this forum more or less serves as a historical archive. For this reason, I personally would prefer the old threads stay as they are for historical preservation reasons. On the forum, probably the best thing we can do to keep boards up to date is to keep posting, that way there will always be new stuff :)

As for modern generations, I think most of them are on our Discord now. It's been quite active and almost seems to have been our main area of chatter and language learning for the past year or two. (link is in my signature)

Nuyuvitrayä

You and tysili both told me the same, I suppose i'll be joining asap.

tsyili

Quote from: Neyva'ky on January 30, 2019, 11:30:55 AM
You and tysili both told me the same, I suppose i'll be joining asap.

tsaw txantsana säfpìl leiu. tsatseng nìngay lu tseng asrunga'a fpi aynumeyu a new ftivia fìlì'fyati. :"D

Eìrä

Quote from: Plumps on April 11, 2015, 05:21:01 PM
Quote from: Blue Elf on April 11, 2015, 04:14:59 PM
I'd try taw a teya (lu) ta sanhì.

It's teya ta ;)
k
Kaltxì ma frapo!!!
What means "teya ta" ???
To know that i am not new here!!!
Oeru syaw Matalìna...i changed my name in Eìrä!!!
Eìrä is my first Na'vi name created by me!!!  :) !!!
Oe tsun pivlltxe nìNa'vi nìteng ma eylan! Oel ayngati kameie nìwotx! 'Rrta lu oeyä kelku!

FÌTSENGE LU AWNGEYÄ!
LN Community - Second Family and Home!

Feel Free To Correct My Na'vi Writing If I Did Mistakes!
 Oe lu numeyu numtsengä alu LearnNa'vi! Irayo nìtxan ta ma oeyä Ayeylan ulte ta ma Tìtstewan!
Nìolo' Pxoeng Seykxel Ma Eylan!

KEMÌRI A NGARU PRRTE' KE LU, TSAKEM RÄ'Ä SIVI AYLAHERU!

Ta:Eìrä :-*

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eìrä on February 05, 2019, 09:41:31 AM
Kaltxì ma frapo!!!
What means "teya ta" ???
Oeru syaw Matalìna...i changed my name in Eìrä!!!

Kaltxì :) I knew it was you ;D

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 11, 2015, 04:14:59 PM
taw a teya (lu) ta sanhì.

means "The sky is full of stars" / "The sky is filled with stars" or similar.