[For Beginners] FAQ

Started by Eywayä mokri, December 27, 2009, 06:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kifkeyit ftiayu

The Pandoran

Perhaps this has already been answered but I haven't seen it anywhere. I notice that a lot of people are using the word kame, or laudative kameie for 'see' in the physical sense. Obviously for oel ngati kameie that is the spiritual and physical sense of the word but for other examples like 'I see a fruit', 'I see a tree' (not specific posts as such) kameie is still being used even though we have been given a seperate word, tse'a, for 'see' in the physical sense. Which is right?

Kaltxì Palulukan!

2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Taronyu

Quote from: The Pandoran on January 01, 2010, 12:57:23 PM
Perhaps this has already been answered but I haven't seen it anywhere. I notice that a lot of people are using the word kame, or laudative kameie for 'see' in the physical sense. Obviously for oel ngati kameie that is the spiritual and physical sense of the word but for other examples like 'I see a fruit', 'I see a tree' (not specific posts as such) kameie is still being used even though we have been given a seperate word, tse'a, for 'see' in the physical sense. Which is right?

Tse'a would be more correct, but kame also works.

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

QuoteEwya-l krr-t oe-ru ke tìng.
Spoiler
Eywa-ERG time-ACC (direct object) I-DAT (to me) not give.
Eywa gives no time to me. (For has given, which is more natural, use t<ol>ìng.)

Quick obervation, the krr-t (ACC),why did you drop the i on the suffix -ti, was it a mistake, or is there a rule, like with dropping the y off of -yä if the word ends in a vowel.
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

Taronyu

Quote from: SR Raptor on January 01, 2010, 04:06:57 PM
QuoteEwya-l krr-t oe-ru ke tìng.
Spoiler
Eywa-ERG time-ACC (direct object) I-DAT (to me) not give.
Eywa gives no time to me. (For has given, which is more natural, use t<ol>ìng.)

Quick obervation, the krr-t (ACC),why did you drop the i on the suffix -ti, was it a mistake, or is there a rule, like with dropping the y off of -yä if the word ends in a vowel.

-it works after a consonant, -t after a vowel. I'm pretty sure that -t and -ti aren't any different in where they go. I suspect there is a rule, but I don't have it down.

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

So technically theyre both correct.

Also
Quote-it works after a consonant

i think you meant -ti after.......

not -it

Irayo, Eywa Ngahu
-Raptor
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

Doolio

no, he meant it  (lol i made a funny:) )

ikran-it
nga-ti or nga-t
...taj rad...

Kaltxì Palulukan!

What is the difference between:

Irayo and Irayo ma?

Please.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Doolio on January 01, 2010, 06:45:28 PM
no, he meant it  (lol i made a funny:) )

ikran-it
nga-ti or nga-t

O i see, thats funny, where did you find that out?

Doolio

well, we are not certain, but based on some examples that is how we treat it for now.

dustywhite:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=33.0
...taj rad...

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Doolio on January 01, 2010, 06:56:18 PM
well, we are not certain, but based on some examples that is how we treat it for now.

dustywhite:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=33.0

Thank you thank you! read it all--now following the links inside that forum. learning. Studying. You are very kind to help.

Doolio

you're welcome:)
we are all here for the same thing and to help each other and the community.
...taj rad...

Fpom-a-Orinblac

does anyone think it would be useful, if it isn't already in existence, to have a section where there were simply lengths of text, like a story or something, written in Na'vi? My thought is that it would be helpful with phonetics if one could simply read the language out loud to oneself, and maybe after that even try translating it and understanding it.

Tsamsiyu Fpi Eywa

Alright. I know that this is seriously noobish, but I just created my account like...a half hour ago, and I have no idea where to begin. I have no clue on phonetics or anything. I have only taken a little French and Spanish in the past, and I know English (obviously). Just...I would like to know where to go to start on this site. That would be a big help for me.

Sawyä tìrol

Can anyone help me figure out how to say: "How much have you learned? (of na'vi for example)" or maybeh "what have you learned? (what quantity)"
I have been trying to figure it out/looking through the forums for a while now.
My brain hurts..
Irayo! :D

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Oel ngati kameie Eywa on January 01, 2010, 10:34:48 PM
Alright. I know that this is seriously noobish, but I just created my account like...a half hour ago, and I have no idea where to begin. I have no clue on phonetics or anything. I have only taken a little French and Spanish in the past, and I know English (obviously). Just...I would like to know where to go to start on this site. That would be a big help for me.

I think I have made a lot of progress just screwing around here for a few days. Here is what i recommend to an absolute newbie. There are three instructional videos that have just been made. I have to find them again (I downloaded them to my computer). They help A LOT with pronunciation. Well two are great, one goes way too fast and is hard to hear. I will see if the mods can post them in an easy to find place.

What is working for me are the flash cards (go to the home page, or download page) and the Navi-Vocabulary(sorted-english).pdf The dictionary is hard for newbies. but the pocket guide is great. You can pick out a few words that don't look to intimidating and practice those on people, and that gives you a good 20-50 word base to begin with in a few days, so you can grow from there, and feel more confident. Grammar you will pick up by reading words (you now recognize) from other people's sentences.

Phonetics are the hardest part at first (I think). That is why I recommend the videos and choosing easy words at first. I wills see if I can find those videos.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Hi

I found 3 (then later, another, while searching for the original 3) videos somewhere in the beginner's section. For the life of me I cannot find them now.

They REALLY HELPED!

They will help a lot of new people solve a LOT of problems, and cut down on the questions. But we need to tell the authors to make more videos. can we find these videos and place links to them in a beginner's sticky? I would tell the authors what I liked and what I felt their videos needed, but I can't find the original posts. I saved the videos (and what seems like a hundred PDF guides so far) on my computer; so I have access to them, but I cannot help other people find them. Teaching aids like these will help "new" new people get a grasp on things so they can understand you Linguistic expert's extensive collegiate vocabulary.

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"

.                      --- Chris Tucker to Jackie Chan in Rush Hour

Please help me get these and other videos reposted in a beginner's sticky, and tell the autghors to make more, or let me know where I can get my hands on them. Irayo in advance!