[For Beginners] FAQ

Started by Eywayä mokri, December 27, 2009, 06:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eywayä mokri

°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

damp

I have two questions:
First: I know that <iv> is subjunctive, but what that means ? someone could explain to me with examples what the infix <iv> means ?

Second: what is the difference between munge and zamunge ?
kaltxí ngaru lu fpom srak?

Kerusey vrrtep

Is there some files in finnish? Im not so good in english :D

Eywayä mokri

We have just added a useful link to a really nice document about the affixes, you should download it. ;)

damp

Quote from: damp on January 05, 2010, 02:56:11 PM
I have two questions:
First: I know that <iv> is subjunctive, but what that means ? someone could explain to me with examples what the infix <iv> means ?

?
kaltxí ngaru lu fpom srak?

Taronyu

It means that the verb in question is being used in a clause, or, given the rampant amount of examples on here, that it is an infinitive. (We're not frankly sure which.)

I want to kill.
Want there is the indicative verb, the normal one.
To kill is the subjunctive, as it's verb phrase is taking the place of the normal accusative noun phrase.

I love that I eat.
Same here. More obvious, because it's marked by futa.

As for munge and zamunge, I speculate that zamunge has more to do with a movement, as *za is a stem I've noticed. But really, there isn't a difference as far as we know.

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: damp on January 05, 2010, 02:56:11 PM
I have two questions:

aspect and moods are difficult to explain to English speakers as in English they are incorporated into tenses.

this table might help a bit.

If not, the subjunctive is used for uncertain things, if I were rich, if I were to be an avatar; or in subordinate clauses such as I would fight you if I were taller.

(underlined words are subjunctive).

as for munge/zamunge, I'm not sure there is one. As it defines zamunge as bring and munge as take/bring in the pocket guide I think it might be best if zamunge is used when there is a dative (bring the bow to me) and munge when there isn't (take the bow)
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Atanä mungeyu

if insanity is keyeúng,what is insane??
irayo si eywa ayngahu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Taronyu

Quote from: unil-tìran-tokx on January 06, 2010, 12:46:34 PM
if insanity is keyeúng,what is insane??
irayo si eywa ayngahu

I suppose it would be lekeye'ung.

Atanä mungeyu

cool that's my word for cursing at people XD
irayo si eywa ngahu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Eywayä mokri

I don't have so much time those days to put the "general questions" that have been asked in the first post...if a moderator could help me I would really appreciate. ;)

Taronyu

I've been placing bets with myself on how long it would take for you to ask that. ;)

Will get started. First, there is the pub.

Tsyaltuan

I have a quick question. How would you say doer as in I am a doer not a dreamer?

Robert Nantangä Tirea

well the verb for do/make is "si" and the suffix to cahnge a verb into the person that does it is "-yu" so a "doer/maker" would be "siyu" (there could possibly be some lenition that affects this do to the similarity between the sounds "i" and "y" but we don't have enough information to know that this time)

So you'd probably be fine with "siyu"

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Tirea Taronyu

Does anyone have any tips for making the trilled "rr" sound?

Tsamsteu

..quick question, new here, but just wondering, is there a difference between just the "infinitive" such as lu (to be) and using the infix <er> (possibly leru)? Is the first present tense while the second present progressive? Irayo!
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

Taronyu

There are topics out there about trilled r's.

Quote from: Nawma_Tsamsiyan03 on January 06, 2010, 07:53:54 PM
..quick question, new here, but just wondering, is there a difference between just the "infinitive" such as lu (to be) and using the infix <er> (possibly leru)? Is the first present tense while the second present progressive? Irayo!

Yes. lu is not the infinitive. It is the copula: the word for a, be, is, am, are.

Oe taronyu lu. <- I am taronyu.

<er> is used for imperfective aspect. This means that the noun is continuing in action.

oe taronyu l<er>u. <- I am being taronyu.

One is a verb, the other shows, in whatever tense it is, that the action is an ongoing one.

Tsamsteu

irayo! so essentially, <er> is imperfect, or progressive, suggesting an ongoing action, rather than "unconjugated " forms of a verb, which are solely present tense? Correct if i'm wrong:

Ayoe<l> ikran<ti> taron : We hunt ikran

vs

Ayoe<l> ikran<ti> t<er>aron : We are hunting ikran (as in a continuous, ongoing event) ?  ???

Irayo!
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

Taronyu

Quote from: Nawma_Tsamsiyan03 on January 06, 2010, 08:30:57 PM
irayo! so essentially, <er> is imperfect, or progressive, suggesting an ongoing action, rather than "unconjugated " forms of a verb, which are solely present tense? Correct if i'm wrong:

Ayoe<l> ikran<ti> taron : We hunt ikran

vs

Ayoe<l> ikran<ti> t<er>aron : We are hunting ikran (as in a continuous, ongoing event) ?  ???

Irayo!

Correctomundo.

Also, remember that it can be ongoing in the past, or in the future.

Txon Tsyal

i don`t know if this has been posted somewhere but what does nge mean since i can`t find it.
Personally i don`t take the Na`vi as alien because i think i understand them.

When I look on the news and see what horrible things are happening around the world I can`t help but wonder what is the source of them and therefore my own race is becoming more and more alien to me as time passes by.

Does that make any sense?