[For Beginners] FAQ

Started by Eywayä mokri, December 27, 2009, 06:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flashbash2

same thing with the past tense. the infix on the site is -am-, while in the guide its -im-. It's kinda weird because the guide came from the site.

Tsamsteu

..i understand, <am> is used as the past, as well as <ol> it seems like...i normally use <ol> but i would like to clarify it up.
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

Tsyaltuan

Probably should send a message to who made it through these forums. Could be he didn't fully understand those infixes when he made the guide or that we're just wrong.

On another note, Tsamsteu, can you explain the iv infix to me in detail? I'm still not sure I'm fully understanding it. Can you explain the us infix to?

Man'raynor

Is this correct?

Aynga lu nìwotx Skxawngay !

( Not offending anyone here , but a bunch of people i hate in another forum. Let them figure it out what it would mean )

flashbash2

I can explain the purpose of the iv infix. you use it when you are not sure of the outcome. like if someone may or may not hunt you would use it in taron; tivaron.

Tsamsteu

Quote from: Tsyaltuan on January 07, 2010, 06:50:46 PM
Probably should send a message to who made it through these forums. Could be he didn't fully understand those infixes when he made the guide or that we're just wrong.

On another note, Tsamsteu, can you explain the iv infix to me in detail? I'm still not sure I'm fully understanding it. Can you explain the us infix to?

I will take on, <iv> first. This infix seems to be used with a subjunctive tense, but also with certain verbs as an infinitive. In English, there really isnt an equivalent tense for subjunctive, as in other languages, such as spanish, the subjunctive tense is used to express uncertain ideas or doubts (hopes, possibilities, etc). In english, one might say:

I hope that you perform well on the test.

In this sentence, the speaker describes a hope (it is uncertain that the person the speaker is talking to will perform well on the test), and the verb that would be conjugated in the subjunctive would be "perform."  So essentially in situations such as those in Na'vi, you would use the subjunctive conjugation of <iv> (if you want an example, ask, and i'll attempt to make one).

Now, moving to the infinitive area of <iv>, the infix is used with certain verbs that follow other verbs. For example, if i say:

I can fly ---------> notice there are two verbs. In other languages (once again, spanish, when you have one verb after another, the first is conjugated, while the second is in and infinitive form). If i were to express this sentence in na'vi, i would most likely say:

Oe tsun tsw<iv>ayon.
I    can    fly

The second verb is technically in infinitive form, hence the addition of <iv>. As i was debating about this sensitive infinitive subject with another forum member, we noticed with some instances, such as the sentence above, the second verb might have a subjunctive taste to it (I can fly, but if i do is an uncertain matter at the moment); hence we are uncertain of what verbs we can use this infinitive form on.

Hope that clears up some of the <iv> infix, and i hope its right.. :)
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Tsyaltuan

Tsamsteu

..can is a form of "to be able to" (tsun)...and fly is tswayon

Tsyaltuan

Ugh why did English have to be my main language? This is such a pain. I believe I understand it now though. Thank you.

Tsamsteu

..haha, in time, in time...well good luck! Here to help whenever (if i'm online =p )

flashbash2

Is the -us- infix the participle infix like the guide says and is it restricted to a past, present, or future participle? How many forms of the participle are there in Na'Vi, like in Latin there is the Present Active, the Perfect Passive, the Perfect Active, and the Future Active? 

Tsamsteu

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the <us> infix as of now, better ask one of the moderators, and also, I wouldnt know latin, I study spanish. =] Sorry though.

flashbash2

Well I sent a message to the guy who compiled the pocket guide about the -er- infix and it looks like the pocket guide is more updated than the grammar section on the site. apparently the -er- infix is the imperfect and not the present progressive.

Tsamsteu

clears up a bit, i guess i'll use <am> instead of <ol> as well..

flashbash2

Quote from: Tsamsteu on January 07, 2010, 07:59:52 PM
clears up a bit, i guess i'll use <am> instead of <ol> as well..

the -ol- doesn't change, because it refers to "have/had ____ed", while -am- refers to" ____ed". A new infix thats not in the grammar section is -im- which is just "______ed" form.
there's a timeline on the pocket guide.

Tsamsteu

..right, <ol> is a just (verb-ed) tense, <im> is a recent past tense, and <am> is the normal past tense..all good. =] irayo

Tsyaltuan

Sigh... just when I get stuff down pat it gets changed. I might just wait till Frommer tells us how it's supposed to be done to start memorizing anything more. We all know Na'vi is to addicting to just put it off though. lol

Tsamsteu

..yea ke oe omum.....studying a college spanish course and self-studying na'vi...conflict haha

Taronyu

Yeah. I just added a question to the FAQ: where to now? Go check it out. :)