[For Beginners] FAQ

Started by Eywayä mokri, December 27, 2009, 06:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fpom-a-Orinblac

has anyone found that chart organizing all the affixes?

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: Tsamsteu on January 07, 2010, 06:28:17 PM
in a basic sense, yes, but the placement of <ol> is crucial, after the consonant of the first syllable

I think that should be the penultimate syllable. If there are more than two syllables, the infix goes after the onset of the second-last syllable.

teswotìng
grant

tesw<ol>otìng
granted

leli'ua tukru

Quick question!

I could have sworn by Eywa that I saw a document with all the abbreviations for breaking apart sentences in the trilinear gloss.   Does such a document exist?  Because I've been searching the dang forums and I got nothin.

If it does, can anyone link plz?

I dunno maybe I've just lost it! X_X

Txon Tsyal

Heh, should have thought about this sooner.

Is my name written right or should it be Txon-a Tsyal or something else?

Im not sure because Txon is a noun.
Personally i don`t take the Na`vi as alien because i think i understand them.

When I look on the news and see what horrible things are happening around the world I can`t help but wonder what is the source of them and therefore my own race is becoming more and more alien to me as time passes by.

Does that make any sense?

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

No it would have to be right because they are both nouns. It really has no meaning in Na'vi, it looks to me like more of an English idiomotic, type name. So if you just wanted Night Wing, ya it works, we know what your mean. ;)
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

Taronyu

Quote from: Fpom-a-Orinblac on January 07, 2010, 11:45:43 PM
has anyone found that chart organizing all the affixes?

Quote from: leli'ua tukru on January 08, 2010, 12:23:48 AM
Quick question!

I could have sworn by Eywa that I saw a document with all the abbreviations for breaking apart sentences in the trilinear gloss.   Does such a document exist?  Because I've been searching the dang forums and I got nothin.

If it does, can anyone link plz?

I dunno maybe I've just lost it! X_X

Do you guys mean the two documents in this thread?

I don't think we have one yet, from English to Na'vi. Would that be useful, dude? I could make one.

Ean-a Taronyu

I decided the best way to learn Na'vi is to try to create sentences yourself, searching for the different parts.
I came up with this and would like it corrected please  ;)

Oe-l  ts<ay>un p<ei>lltxe na'vi-ti a-ye'rìn!
What I wanted to say: "I'll be able to speak Na'vi soon!" Not sure about infixes and accusative and ergative suffixes.

Taronyu

Quote from: Ean-a Taronyu on January 08, 2010, 01:05:13 PM
I decided the best way to learn Na'vi is to try to create sentences yourself, searching for the different parts.

What I wanted to say: "I'll be able to speak Na'vi soon!" Not sure about infixes and accusative and ergative suffixes.

Good call. Try and do this in the Simple Phrases Megathreadd, in the vocab section.

Right. There isn't an object of the sentence, here, so you don't need the ergative case. Since plltxe isn't the main verb, but is rather the infinitive/subjunctive, use the infix <iv>. <ei> goes in the second position, so: p<iv>lltx<ei>e. Na'vi isn't the word for the language, it's the word for the people. Make it an adverb: nìNa'vi,  "Navi-ly". Yer'ìn doesn't need an adjectival marker, as it is an adverb of time. So:

Oe ts<ay>un p<iv>lltx<ei>e nì-Na'vi yer'ìn.
I able-FUT speak-SUBJ-LAUD ADV-Na'vi soon
I will be able to speak like a Na'vi soon!

Good job!

Ean-a Taronyu

Quote from: Taronyu on January 08, 2010, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: Ean-a Taronyu on January 08, 2010, 01:05:13 PM

Good call. Try and do this in the Simple Phrases Megathreadd, in the vocab section.

Right. There isn't an object of the sentence, here, so you don't need the ergative case. Since plltxe isn't the main verb, but is rather the infinitive/subjunctive, use the infix <iv>. <ei> goes in the second position, so: p<iv>lltx<ei>e. Na'vi isn't the word for the language, it's the word for the people. Make it an adverb: nìNa'vi,  "Navi-ly". Yer'ìn doesn't need an adjectival marker, as it is an adverb of time. So:

Oe ts<ay>un p<iv>lltx<ei>e nì-Na'vi yer'ìn.
I able-FUT speak-SUBJ-LAUD ADV-Na'vi soon
I will be able to speak like a Na'vi soon!

Good job!

Wow, thanks a ton! Still have much to work on but I'll get there eventually... Oh and thanks for referring me to the other thread.

Tìhawnu Ta'em

I have been working on Na'vi for a few days and i seem to only be picking up a few things here and there. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I accelerate my learning?

Tsamsteu

Go to the reference page for additional documents! They have great worksheets Taronyu and others came up with! It depends upon what you want to learn though...i'm finding the guides about inflections very informative. also, i've been using some flashcards to try to strengthen some vocab...but its up to you!

Here's the resource page: http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=117.0
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

Tìhawnu Ta'em

Thanks for the suggestions...or should I say irayo? Practice makes perfect right?  :P

Tsamsteu

Pregunta: I know the verb for to live is "rey." Is there any way to make an adjective out of it, otherwise known as "live" (noun)  or "alive?"  Could you add adjective deriving affix to it ------> le-rey        or would that not work?
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Eywayä mokri

You can add the prefixe tì- to make a noun from an adjective or a verb. :)
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Tsamsteu on January 08, 2010, 05:23:59 PM
Pregunta: I know the verb for to live is "rey." Is there any way to make an adjective out of it, otherwise known as "live" (noun)  or "alive?"  Could you add adjective deriving affix to it ------> le-rey        or would that not work?

You could use le-tì- to turn it first into a noun then an adjective but that would be horrible.

The best way would be to make it a participle (living) and use that. To make it a present participle, just add the <us> infix after the r. So alive/living would be rusey.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Tsamsteu

Tsyaltuan

So can anyone explain the us infix in laymen terms? I tried looking around for info on it but I can't seem to find anything I can understand about it.

Also just one last thing I need to understand with pronunciation and then I believe I can fully speak the language. How would you pronounce this 'E'al?

Tsamsteu

Quote from: Tsyaltuan on January 09, 2010, 06:41:23 PM
So can anyone explain the us infix in laymen terms? I tried looking around for info on it but I can't seem to find anything I can understand about it.

essentially, the <us> infix is used to change a verb into a participle (adj, most likely i believe). For example, let's say we have the verb hunt, and you want to say, I am a hunting person.

To change the verb hunt, to participle hunting (adj), you'd use the <us> infix

Oe t<us>aron tute lu.
I     hunting    person am

I've used it to alter verbs into adj or nouns (rey ----> r<us>ey (living (adj)).....understand?

Tsyaltuan

Quote from: Tsamsteu on January 09, 2010, 06:51:33 PM
Quote from: Tsyaltuan on January 09, 2010, 06:41:23 PM

essentially, the <us> infix is used to change a verb into a participle (adj, most likely i believe). For example, let's say we have the verb hunt, and you want to say, I am a hunting person.

To change the verb hunt, to participle hunting (adj), you'd use the <us> infix

Oe t<us>aron tute lu.
I     hunting    person am

I've used it to alter verbs into adj or nouns (rey ----> r<us>ey (living (adj)).....understand?
Irayo! I understand it now. Can you answer my other question? I edited my post while you were responding.

Tsamsteu

[/quote] Irayo! I understand it now. Can you answer my other question? I edited my post while you were responding.
[/quote]

E'al would be pronounced: eh-ahl    (eh like in "meh")