[For Beginners] FAQ

Started by Eywayä mokri, December 27, 2009, 06:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eywayä mokri

If some admins or mods could help me putting the questions and the answers in the first post, it would really help me keep this thread up to date. :)
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

MarioO

What's the different between "katxì" and "oel ngati kameie"?

Is "kaltxì" a greeting to everyone ond "oel ngati kameie" only to friends / clan members or what?

Eywayä mokri

Kaltxì is more like the usual greeting you could make to everyone.

Oel ngati kameie is more friendly.

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

Quote from: taw sì syal on December 29, 2009, 09:50:59 PM
Kaltxi frapo! Oe-l kin srung-ti...
Does anyone know why the verb ''taron'' is pronounced like ''gad'on''? And where can I find a video about pronouncing ejectives?
Irayo si Ewya ngahu.

I've been wondering the same because a source told me that. but I asked the people here and they said it's more like 'ardon. or sth.
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Kelkurakxé

Is there a central thread that has all the keyboard shortcuts (for PC and Mac) for the special vowels? I'm trying to find it and coming up short. It would help me out a lot if it was included in this FAQ.

Eywayä mokri

Pxi-Swizaw

Quote from: mO_Tan on December 30, 2009, 03:59:40 AM
IPA = International Phonetic Alphabet

It's a system of phonetic notation, its a standered representation of the sounds of a spoken language (wikipedia it)
you can get the list here, http://www.learnnavi.org/navi-phonetics/ , it helped me so much  :)

and i started off by learning all of the infixes, sufixes and prefixes. but i kinda just jumped into the deep end to learn how to swim ;D but im doing fine now!

Thanks mO_Tan!

Eywayä mokri

Purple0limar

One thing I haven't seen addressed:
In the pamphlet's lexicon, there are two reported words for "and:" "ulte" and "sì." But, of course, sì is also used to mean "do." How do we differentiate between the two--or is it an error in the Lexicon?
-Andrew (Ronsem atxur)

wm.annis

Quote from: Purple0limar on December 30, 2009, 11:11:50 AM
In the pamphlet's lexicon, there are two reported words for "and:" "ulte" and "sì." But, of course, sì is also used to mean "do." How do we differentiate between the two--or is it an error in the Lexicon?

Ooh, the accent marks matter a lot.  is "and" — si is "do".

MarioO

Sì = and
Si = make / do

pay attention to the accent (is that the right word?) over the "i".

I don't think that there's a big difference between "sì" and "ulte".

Eywayä mokri

In the thematic glossary the difference between sì and ulte is written. :)

Purple0limar

Yeah, my fault. I was zoomed out when reading the Lexicon, and didn't notice that the accent was removed for "si=do." Sorry about that.

Pxi-Swizaw

Sorry if this has been answered before, I may not be looking in the right threads, but I'm creating flashcards (in the format of the Na'vi Vocabulary text) for the language as it stands so far, and I've come across "how" in the connectors section.

What is the difference between fyape and peyfa?

While I'm at it, what is the difference between na and pxel? (like, as)

Kempe and pehem?

'upe and peu?

Kelutrel

Kaltxi.      i where looking around in the lexikon and i was wondering when it sey like this 'kxanì'' - forbidden, the word under -Kxanì- thats the way your going to pronounse it right?   Irayo  (sorry if i got some words wrong)         k‟anɪ
  (sorry if i got some words wrong)

Taw sì Syal

Quote from: Volmire on December 29, 2009, 09:50:24 AM
Hello,

Of course I am new in joining everyone in an attempt to learn an interesting language. I've done a little reading and looked things over a bit.  Being brand new where would you start, and what would be your first steps afterward.  I ask that, becuase I haven't tried to learn a new language in about 16 years, so if it's not english I just have no idea where to begin.

I was facing the same thing, and what I did first was to familiarize myself with the Na'vi alphabet, especially the ejectives (which you can find examples of in the phonetics section). Next you can move on to pronouns, which really helps later on. After pronouns I would learn the different types of prefixes, suffixes, and especially infixes. Finally you can begin to conjugate verbs. This will take awhile, but we're all going through the same thing :)
Oe ngahu tswayeion

Tawtute oe längu

I am a beginner. What should I learn first? Phonetics?? Verbs? Or grammar?

Taw sì Syal

Oe ngahu tswayeion

Doolio

i noticed that people use 'tsahaylu' and 'tsaheylu' in similar quantities. as far as i remember, actors were pronouncing it 'tsaheylu' very clearly, but now i am getting confused...
...taj rad...