Started by Eywayä mokri, December 27, 2009, 06:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eywayä mokri

There is a new FAQ, so...
Please continue here:

[For Beginners] FAQ (Please ask your questions here) - II

ta Tìtstewan

Kaltxì frapo,

We were talking about that on the skype chat, and we thought that it would be useful to have a thread regrouping all the frequently asked questions (mainly general questions) for the beginners. Like this the beginners would be able to reach the informations needed fast and without opening threads everywhere. :)

Feel free to ask your questions here, and only here please. The other members will then try to answer the questions. When done, each question and answer will be brought back to the first post. This will build the hole FAQ. Please read this post first before asking a question, to see if your question hasn't been answered yet.

Anyone is allowed to help completing this faq!

--------------------

Learnnavi.org FAQ

Where do I go now?

This pocket guide is a great place to start out: http://www.learnnavi.org/docs/Learn-Navi-Pocket-Guide.pdf

If you find the terminology a bit too difficult then you can check out this page: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BxURBDXVBWhHMzA0ZjNiOWUtMWFhOC00ZjNjLTgxZWEtZGMwNzJmNmYwODAx&hl=en

Also, Skxawng's worksheets and Taronyu's dictionary and inflections guide for once you've read through the pocket guide. Those are available here:http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=117.0

--------------------

Grammar

* Is the word order completely free?
Well, there is no informations about the ideal structure of a sentence yet. So the word order is free yes. Though the word order may vary the meaning.
----------
* Why does an "l" go after oe?
-l is the ergative case suffix. This is placed after the subject in transitive verb sentences, as -ti is placed after the object in the same sentence (nga-ti; nga means you, and -ti is the accusative suffix.)

Take a look at the Na'vi Pocket Guide for information on case suffixes.
---------
* How do I turn things into negative?
We use the word "ke" (that means "not") at the beginning of the sentence or before the word that is supposed to turn into negative. (confirmation and correction needed)
---------
* What does this "-yä" mean?
The suffix "-yä" is meant to mark the genitive case. Referring to possession. Typically known as the " 's " in English.
---------
* Has "oe pxunyä" the same meaning as "oeyä pxun"?
Related to the question above, no. If you wanna say my arm, then you'll say "Oeyä pxun." "Oe pxunyä." would mean "arm's my", that wouldn't mean anything. [
---------
* Does the affixes/suffixes order affect the meaning?
Changing the word order won't affect the meaning of your sentence, generally. Though the affixes/suffixes order can't be changed. Oel ngati kameie / Ngati oel kameie / Kameie ngati oel
etc....all have the same meaning. its when you change the sufixes around that the meaning changes...Oe-ti nga-l kameie / I-ACC you-ERG kameie / You see me.
---------
*We know that the 'yes/no' question is formed by adding 'srak' to the end of the sentence, but what about questions in general?
Questions are typically marked by use of interrogatives: pe'u, pesu, peyfa, kempe, krrpe, lumpe, and tsengpe (what thing, who, how (way), how (action), what time, why, and what place).
----------
*what does the infix "iv" mean, like in livu?
<iv> has been taken to mean, by the people who are working on the more complex parts of the grammar, the subjunctive or infinitive. It's used when a verb is used later on in the sentence: For instance, "I wish to see" would be translated as "Oe new k<iv>ame."
----------
* What is the difference between fyape and peyfa?
Peyfa is probably a misprint. That's the difference.

Pronounciation

*How should I pronounce the trilled "r"?
This is a trilled /r/, not the German uvular /r/, it should then be trilled on the tip of your tongue.

Vocabulary

* "I see you." How do I say that beautiful sentence?*
"Oel ngati kameie" is the way you will say it. Here is the grammatical form: Oe-l nga-ti kam<ei>e.
----------
* Which word is used to say hello?
"Kaltxì" is the word used to say hello.
----------
* Why do I see sometimes a "ma" before nouns or words?
The "ma" is a vocative marker. It's used when you refer to someone specifically. Thus, if you are talking to someone, and use their name, or a word like tsmukan (brother), then you put a "ma" before it.
----------
* Is there word that means "have"?
Many human languages lack the verb "to have" instead using various idiomatic expressions.  We find the greeting, nga-ru lu fpom srak to-you is well-being?, suggestive that Na'vi may do the same thing, using the dative with lu to indicate the possessive notion of have. (confirmation and correction or addition needed)

Other

*IPA? What's that?
IPA = International Phonetic Alphabet
It's a system of phonetic notation, its a standered representation of the sounds of a spoken language
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

MonocleO.Q

Is that harshly trilled 'rr' made at the back of the throat or the tip of the tongue? I can trill at both, but the tip of the tongue only comes out with a 'T' sound and if it is the tip, then I'm going to need some coaching.
rey yol ulte lu fpom.

Eywayä mokri

From what I've seen so far, the thrilled "r" is done on the tip of the tongue. But as I am not sure we'll wait for someone to confirm or infirm.

wm.annis

Quote from: Eywa mokriyä on December 27, 2009, 11:01:58 AM
From what I've seen so far, the thrilled "r" is done on the tip of the tongue. But as I am not sure we'll wait for someone to confirm or infirm.

Yes, it's the trilled /r/, not the German uvular /r/ Monocle seems to be asking about.

MonocleO.Q

rey yol ulte lu fpom.

shiaru

I think the R is pronounced like in spanish, would it be similar ?
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Java

sorry for the noobish question but why does an "l" go after oe?

Tolaro´ni´tirea

Kaltxi, aysmúkan, aysmuké

marte

Quote from: Java on December 27, 2009, 11:45:06 AM
sorry for the noobish question but why does an "l" go after oe?
-l is the ergative case suffix. This is placed after the subject in transitive verb sentences, as -ti is placed after the object in the same sentence (nga-ti; nga means you, and -ti is the accusative suffix.)

Take a look at the Na'vi Pocket Guide for information on case suffixes.

Tolaro´ni´tirea

Skxawng

Been meaning to do this! Thanks for taking the initiative Eywa Mokriyä!

stickied!

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Eywayä mokri

Quote from: Skxawng on December 27, 2009, 12:46:03 PM
Been meaning to do this! Thanks for taking the initiative Eywa Mokriyä!

stickied!

Your welcome, I think it was needed. ;)

Tolaro´ni´tirea

I think this should be in the audio section but i dont  open a new thread for this  short question^^
I recorded some sentences are they pronnounced right? http://www.talknavi.com/audio/58/my-first-sentences!-are-they-right

The sentences:
Kaltxi ,aysmukan , aysmuke
hello brothers and sister

Oe Na´Vi  nume.
I learn Na´vi
Oe txur lu
I´m strong
Oe-l Ikranit makto
I ride an Banshee
Oe plltxe.
I speak.
Turukil ´eko Ikranit.
Turuk  attacks an banshee

you need to mark the link form the beginning to the end ( the end is right)

Eywayä mokri

Well this thread should be more for general questions. :) But I'll try to take a look when I have some time. ;)

Tolaro´ni´tirea

irayo, maybe it will help someone else too.

Eywayä mokri

From what I've heard, that's not that bad. :) Pay attention to the words like Na'vi. You really have to stop between the first and the second half of the word. Anyway that was a good start. :)

Tolaro´ni´tirea

Irayo

this is the first language that is fun to speak!!

( I speak german, latein and english)

Tengfya swizaw

Is there a suffix, prefix, or infix that reverses the meaning of the word? Reverses as in, say, changing "truth" to "untruth"?

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

Java

Tengfya swizaw

I've got another question: When Spanish and English are used in the same sentence interchangeably, it's called "Spanglish". What would you call Na'vi and English, since there seems to be a lot of blending of languages at this point?

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/