A noob question about kiyevame - goodbye

Started by kaltxi Angtsik, October 25, 2010, 11:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaltxi Angtsik

Kaltxi, ma aytsmuk -

I was thinking about one of the ways to say goodbye, kiyevame,  from kame, to recognize, to see, in a spiritual sense, and I it doesn't seem to clearly express what I want to say;  when I say "hope to see you again", I really don't mean I hope to "see" you again "spiritually". No, rather than kame I mean tse'a, to see physically.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate, when parting with a friend or loved one, to say something like tsiyeve'a, I hope to (physically) see you again?

Yawey ngahu!
Oe nerume fte pivlltxe nìNa'vi.
pamrel si ro [email protected]

omängum fra'uti

When you say "Goodbye" do you really mean "God be with you"?

Expressions like that don't necessarily mean literally what they say.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

kaltxi Angtsik

QuoteWhen you say "Goodbye" do you really mean "God be with you"?

Expressions like that don't necessarily mean literally what they say.

Good point - but when I say "I hope to see you again", I do mean it in the physical sense.
So, I guess we just chalk that up to a quirk of the Na'vi language? English certainly has a few of them...

Yawey ngahu!

Ikran Ahiyìk

"Oel ngati kameie."

"I see you" is the common greeting, and it used the spiritual "see".

So for goodbye, that is "hope to see you later", why not use the same word?

Use the physical "see" here wouldn't look like a greeting.
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Maweyatan

Quote from: kaltxi Angtsik on October 25, 2010, 11:41:08 PM
Kaltxi, ma aytsmuk

Should be aysmuk, because whenever you pluralize a ts or t word, it goes to s. :P

ANYWAY...In reality, if you wanted to say that "I hope that I see you soon." would be sìlpey oe tsnì oel ngati kìyevame ye'rìn

Which translates into "I hope that I will see you soon."

BUT...it's usually just shortened to kìyevame, because that other way is a mouthful. :P

~Maweyatan

Tirea Aean

if you REALLY wanted, you could PROBABLY say

tsiyeve'a... but that isnt common practice. I wanna second what Omängum said. tafral just use kiyevame. pawl has said time and time again in interviews that kiyevame means see you again/ see you again soon/hope to see you soon and such.

kaltxi Angtsik

Quote from: Maweyatan on October 26, 2010, 08:16:26 AM
Kaltxi, ma aytsmuk

Should be aysmuk, because whenever you pluralize a ts or t word, it goes to s. :P

~Maweyatan

Ah, I forgot the lenition, again. Argh, the language is a pain, but I figure it's like field stripping a weapon...
Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: kaltxi Angtsik on October 26, 2010, 02:45:38 PM
Quote from: Maweyatan on October 26, 2010, 08:16:26 AM
Kaltxi, ma aytsmuk

~Maweyatan

Ah, I forgot the lenition, again. Argh, the language is a pain, but I figure it's like field stripping a weapon...

Quoteno one expects the lenition!!

HRH ::) ;D

’eylan ’angtsìkä

No, rather than kame I mean tse'a, to see physically.

I'm not sure that's really what you want.  If you were blind, you might want to physically see the person.  Or if the two of you are planning a hide-and-seek game, you might want to physically see the person.  But if you have enough of a relationship that you actually want to see the person again, why would you not want to see them as a whole being.  Perhaps the word "spiritually" puts you off because you think it implies (in English) some kind of religious connection?  That's not what kiyevame is about.  Forget about the "spiritual" if it bothers you; think of it as connecting to the person as a person and acknowledging their intrinsic worth as a human being.  Why would you not want to do that?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: 'eylan 'angtsìkä on October 26, 2010, 09:45:45 PM
No, rather than kame I mean tse'a, to see physically.

I'm not sure that's really what you want.  If you were blind, you might want to physically see the person.  Or if the two of you are planning a hide-and-seek game, you might want to physically see the person.  But if you have enough of a relationship that you actually want to see the person again, why would you not want to see them as a whole being.  Perhaps the word "spiritually" puts you off because you think it implies (in English) some kind of religious connection?  That's not what kiyevame is about.  Forget about the "spiritual" if it bothers you; think of it as connecting to the person as a person and acknowledging their intrinsic worth as a human being.  Why would you not want to do that?

a great point indeed.

omängum fra'uti

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ftiafpi

Muzer

[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

’eylan ’angtsìkä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 26, 2010, 06:11:18 PM
no one expects the lenition!!
[/quote]

our greatest weapon is lenition.  lenition and infixes.  our two greatest weapons are lenition and infixes and suffixes.  our three greatest weapons are...

kaltxi Angtsik

Quoteno one expects the lenition!!
hrh... faysawtute...
Yawey ngahu!

Le'eylan

Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Kyle Kepone

I've always viewed kìyevame as being a kind of informal "goodbye." I mean, we have Eywa ngahu but that's used as more of a military or formal sending-off (either way, it's more "serious" than kìyevame is). Like another poster said, there's a whole sentence for "I wish to see you again," kìyevame is just easier to say.
Oe lu 'eylan lì'fyayä leNa'vi

My Blog, including Na'vi lessons: http://dissentculture.wordpress.com

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Kyle Kepone on October 29, 2010, 03:06:23 PM
I've always viewed kìyevame as being a kind of informal "goodbye." I mean, we have Eywa ngahu but that's used as more of a military or formal sending-off (either way, it's more "serious" than kìyevame is). Like another poster said, there's a whole sentence for "I wish to see you again," kìyevame is just easier to say.
Where do you get the tone of "Eywa ngahu" being more serious?

The only canon usage I'm aware of seems very casual.  Then again, it's off screen so who knows.  (When Jake is first climbing into a hammock at kelutral, you can barely hear it out of the left front channel around the time he grunts.  Presumably used as a sort of "Goodnight".)

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on October 29, 2010, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: Kyle Kepone on October 29, 2010, 03:06:23 PM
Where do you get the tone of "Eywa ngahu" being more serious?

The only canon usage I'm aware of seems very casual.  Then again, it's off screen so who knows.  (When Jake is first climbing into a hammock at kelutral, you can barely hear it out of the left front channel around the time he grunts.  Presumably used as a sort of "Goodnight".)

I guess it's that they are very close analogies of "see you" and "goodbye" the first of which is probably a little more informal (although of course 'bye is relatively informal).
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's