OLD Beginner Forum Etiquette

Started by Skxawng, December 22, 2009, 12:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skxawng

Go to the new Beginner Forum Guidelines

--------

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Karyu Amawey

I agree with this and would further note that when using an individual phrase, try using a trilinear gloss, such as:

Oe-l     ŋa-ti   kam‹ei›e
I-ERG you-ACC See‹LAUD›
"I See you" (a greeting)
Oel ayngati kameie

Skxawng

Good stuff, original post updated.

Nume fpi sänume

Yes, its all a bit confusing and probably will be for the majority of us, especially me, for some time. I can see how this would help us learn faster, since we see the real application of the rules, instead of just reading about them.

Seze

Quote from: Karyu amawey on December 22, 2009, 12:21:39 AM
I agree with this and would further note that when using an individual phrase, try using a trilinear gloss, such as:

I-ERG you-ACC See‹LAUD›
"I See you" (a greeting)

Is this letter --> ŋ  in IPA?

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Skxawng

Quote from: snowyfox on December 22, 2009, 12:29:23 AM

yep.

Left column, about 2/3ds down, underneath n

Karyu Amawey

I-ERG you-ACC See‹LAUD›
"I See you" (a greeting)

It is in fact IPA.  I originally thought it would be easier for when one applies it to speaking, because I didn''t want anyone mispronouncing ng as nuhguh :)  But I''m beginning to have second thoughts about the IPA, as it may just be doing more harm than good... :\
Oel ayngati kameie

Skxawng

Quote from: Karyu amawey on December 22, 2009, 12:47:58 AM
It is in fact IPA.  I originally thought it would be easier for when one applies it to speaking, because I didn''t want anyone mispronouncing ng as nuhguh :)  But I''m beginning to have second thoughts about the IPA, as it may just be doing more harm than good... :\

heh, on all of my flashcards I have my own phonetic pronunciation next to the Na'vi word, as I'm not knowledgeable in IPA, so like

Thank you

irayo  ( ee rd aahy oh )

;D

Seze

Quote from: Karyu amawey on December 22, 2009, 12:47:58 AM

I-ERG you-ACC See‹LAUD›
"I See you" (a greeting)

That was my concern.  I think it would be really helpful if we could record all the words in the lexicon so people could listen to them.  Same goes for the example sentences found on the site as well.  I'm still battling myself in my head on how "Oel" is pronounced for example...

omängum fra'uti

I've been using my own notation for Na'vi vs English phrases, but I'll try to start sticking to these guidelines from now on.  Standards are good. :)

Quote from: snowyfox on December 22, 2009, 12:53:31 AM
That was my concern.  I think it would be really helpful if we could record all the words in the lexicon so people could listen to them.  Same goes for the example sentences found on the site as well.  I'm still battling myself in my head on how "Oel" is pronounced for example...
Read up on the syllable structure.  Oel is two syllables, o-el, and syllables that are only vowels run into neighboring vowels.  Or given the season, I believe if you say "Noel" without the N, you'll get it right.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Seze

Quote from: Tiger on December 22, 2009, 12:56:28 AM
Quote from: snowyfox on December 22, 2009, 12:53:31 AM
Read up on the syllable structure.  Oel is two syllables, o-el, and syllables that are only vowels run into neighboring vowels.  Or given the season, I believe if you say "Noel" without the N, you'll get it right. :)

Thats exactly how I thought it was supposed to be pronounced, but it just didn't seem right to me for some reason...

Brainiac

Quote from: Z on December 22, 2009, 12:35:12 AM

yep.

Left column, about 2/3ds down, underneath n

thanks. That was one of the sounds I was uncomfortable with. IPA is useful that way :)
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Uniltìranyu

When I first attempted to learn this, I tried to record the pronunciation info in IPA and found that it was kinda easy to pronounce the words after I decoded them into IPA. Well, as easy as it gets with a language like Na'vi...
Eywa ayngahu, frapo nìNa'vi paylltxeie...
May Eywa be with you, all Na'vi speakers.

Harliquinn

The "Noel" with no "N" bit is correct.  There's an interview with Frommer who teaches a radio personality the word.

I can't figure out HTML here, none of the images work:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/blog/2009/12/usc-prof-says-youre-speaking-my-language.html

J.

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

I definatly think we should keep IPA around just for our communities sake, it helps some, but others use their own stuff, it's all personal preference.
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

Seze

Quote from: Skxawng on December 22, 2009, 12:18:45 AM
Thirdly, you should know how to write na'vi in this forum:

to Start, the Na'vi language uses ì and ä. You can acheieve these letters via copy-pasting, but it might be quicker to learn the keyboard shortcuts:

For PC, alt plus keycodes are used:
alt+141 = ì
alt+0252 = ü

For Mac,
Option + ` then press i   = ì
Option + u then press u  = ü

I think you picked the wrong vowel on your keycode explanations.  Should be an "a" instead of a "u".  I can't speak to windows keycodes, but on a Mac it is Option + u then followed by a, which equals ä

FragRaptor

Quote from: Seze on December 30, 2009, 06:24:23 PM
Quote from: Skxawng on December 22, 2009, 12:18:45 AM
Thirdly, you should know how to write na'vi in this forum:

to Start, the Na'vi language uses ì and ä. You can acheieve these letters via copy-pasting, but it might be quicker to learn the keyboard shortcuts:

For PC, alt plus keycodes are used:
alt+141 = ì
alt+0252 = ü

For Mac,
Option + ` then press i   = ì
Option + u then press u  = ü

I think you picked the wrong vowel on your keycode explanations.  Should be an "a" instead of a "u".  I can't speak to windows keycodes, but on a Mac it is Option + u then followed by a, which equals ä
Lower-case ä= Alt+132

Upper-case Ä= Alt +142

SezeSreu

Eywa ngahu

SezeSreu

Eywa ngahu

Sayprìsä

Hi.  I'm working on a mac and the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to be working for me.
"You have a gift, Jack.  You do.  You see people."