Main Menu

Names

Started by Txonä Tìranyu, May 28, 2013, 02:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txonä Tìranyu

So whats in a name?
And im not talking about the names we give ourselves here on the forums,
im talking about names a Na'vi might give their child at birth or a clan name.
Names like Neytiri, Newey, Ìstaw, Amanti, Malimi, or a clan name Anurai
What makes these names, names rather than just another Na'vi word?
Thoughts, theories?  :-\

Tirea Aean

truthfully, just creating new words for the purpose of being a name. None of these were/are words or derived from words (that exist yet). James Cameron created many of the names just out of nowhere, for the sake of having character names, and coming up with a base for the Na'vi language phonetics. Then Paul made up some names for example sentences. I think he just chose some names either one or two or so syllables, that fit within the rules of Na'vi words. As far as I know, there's really nothing much in it at all besides making up something that sounds good, doesn't exist as a word yet, and abides by the rules of Na'vi phonetics. *shrug*

Txonä Tìranyu

So in other words if it sounds right, isn't used yet, and makes sense phonetically, it can be classified as a name?
sounds good to me  :-\
and I really love these smileys

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Txonä Tìranyu on May 28, 2013, 02:40:21 PM
So in other words if it sounds right, isn't used yet, and makes sense phonetically, it can be classified as a name?
sounds good to me  :-\
and I really love these smileys

As far as I know, yeah. For given first names.

Yeah, these smileys are pretty cool. :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

There are even some name generators that build names out of random (but phonotactically correct) syllables. You might want to look at those for fun and inspiration.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 28, 2013, 04:07:54 PM
There are even some name generators that build names out of random (but phonotactically correct) syllables. You might want to look at those for fun and inspiration.

such as this one:

http://tirea.learnnavi.org/generate.php

:D :D ;D

*generator code by Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng, minor edits to code by me.

Vawmataw

http://tirea.learnnavi.org/generate.php?a=9&b=9&c=9 *click*

Tsesnìnewtewskxaysyafpeyreynaw te Fnefpaynewpxeyfasrìve'ongo Naftìtse'utstevatsrafmapay'itan  
La'ewwepxafyìfemawstawey te Sìmo'utspxalene'atxafet Skxefpaylazamewkatsmewluno'ite
Tsnaftxì'ewmìsley'awfpxewsnefya te Txefkxapawtsa'arewkxamepxayt Fewtsäkawtsavowa'eysìtsna'itan
Hawrusnìpxekxetskxäfratspxaytswo te Tofrestaylutsanakafetskì Sotsteyvutskxowawasnofmämak'itan

;D
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 28, 2013, 04:40:14 PM
*generator code by Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng, minor edits to code by me.
Well, I think you should try to remember it ;) Actually don't. I always have an irresistable urge to run over my conlang's phonology (especially the vowels) with bulldozers every now and then.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.