best way to start lerning na'vi

Started by Kelutrel, December 25, 2009, 11:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelutrel

(sorry for my bad english)   i have been trying to learn to speak na'vi for a almost a day now, dont think im making any progres in it. but i was wondering what's the best way to start lerning na'vi in, is the best way to learn na'vi by learing to speak it first or reed and wright it????

shiaru

I guess we are all going with what works better for us, however if you learn the grammar rules and the words and can type them without help, you should be able to start pronouncing them by a least a week. most of us can barely say Irayo=thank you half right. A good method to learn it is to read the words you want to learn in sequence, then write them in sequence and play audio of the word, repeat process until you mimic them perfectly.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Beduino

I'm doing like this

-> understand basic grammar and phonetics
-> now i'm going to memorize some words and keep studing the grammar to memorize it too
-> write down some sentences to use the grammar you lerned and help memorizing the vocabulary

But here are some usefull links:

The home site has basically anything you need to start. But I'll give you some "direct directions".

The Compendium has resumed information that may be helpfull.

This one helped me a lot. I based myself on it for a lot of stuff.

But I still didn't know all those linguistic terms and was lost (and english is not my mother language.. Idk that stuff even in portuguese! hahahaha)
So I found explanation here

About phonetics, you have explanations here,
but you can also see these videos, and come here for some audio files.

Na'vi Lesson 1: Vowels and Ejectives
Na'vi lesson - Tricky /r/ and /rr/
Na'vi corpus

To end, you have 2 amazing download sections, that have some documents I told you and a bit more stuff :)

http://www.learnnavi.org/downloads/
http://www.talknavi.com/page.php?page=11

Of course, you don't need to read all of than in one day like crazy, because you will be lost. Just keep than in mind as resource during your studies, when you are not sure about something, etc.

Hope I could help you, and don't give up! :)

Eywa ngahu.
tsun ngal tslam fì'uti srak?

Kelutrel

idogis1

I'm just starting out in Na'vi too, but I have studied other languages. What I would recommend is memorize some very basic verbs and nouns and the pronunciation (for Westerners pronunciation can be very hard initially but keep going, after only a short while you should get the hang of it) and use that as a base to learn the most basic grammar. Don't try to memorize it all at once because it's a lot of information. Your goal should be, at first, only to speak like a toddler.

Eywayä mokri

I am always beginning with learning the grammar structure. Then analyzing sentences, trying to see what is what and how it works. Then creating short to long sentences. :)
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

txum tukru

can you speak it? i am starting by saying words.. should i also practice writing it?
pesu nga?          "who are you?"
Oe lu toktor.       "the Doctor!"
pesu?                "who?"
nì'aw, toktor.       "just, the Doctor!"

Eywayä mokri

You should better start writing than speaking. :) Well it's my opinion. Or well, writing short sentences and then trying to say them. :) Pay attention to the pronunciation then. ;)
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

txum tukru

its what ive been doing, so far ive replaced hello, yes, no, thank you, good night and goodbye with na'vi wile talking, and can now spell them and say them without looking at palm cards, but cant write or say sentences.
pesu nga?          "who are you?"
Oe lu toktor.       "the Doctor!"
pesu?                "who?"
nì'aw, toktor.       "just, the Doctor!"

Nawm

Very Good pointers, I am also struggling with where to begin. TY

Hoping to be posting in both soon.... wanted to for my first post - lol Right !!!

Tutee A-nawm

Hi guys..

I'm from Denmark, and all of the words used to describe the language and grammar and stuff, are hard for me to understand..

The last couple of days, I've tried hard to learn Na'Vi my own way.. And because I really don't understand the basic of what stands at Wikipedia (or the other sites), besides the common english words, I almost gave it up.. Then I saw this forum, and gained my hope again..

What I want to know, is what I can do to learn Na'Vi the best way.. I know it takes time and a lot of practise, but what to do??

Learn 5-8 words 'fluent' every 3. day, or what? I'm lost.... I've read a lot in this forum, and you'll properbly just give some links.. But guys, I dont know where to start.. Nothing have helped me yet, and you're my last chance..

If I should learn 5-8 words, what words would you say I should start with?

Yes, I have read this post, but I couldn't get a prober answer..

Btw, I'm not shure how to pronounce the words..

I'm going to see the movie again in the cinema again very soon, so I'll defernatly listen to them speak..

Roiki

People learn different ways and one method won't be the "right one" for all, so you yourself know best what works for you. There are good guides here which you should print and read, the first thing you should do is to undestand all the linguistics terms like "infinx", "suffix" and the like and know when to use them, then just start to write some sentences and translating sentences people have posted here.
I personally find the intermediate board to be a good place to pick centenses for translation.

After you've gotten hold of the basics you can go down your own path. I can't say which is the point to start pronouncing, decide it yourself if you want to do it right off the bat or wait until you can read and write correctly. Just remember to write stuff down, the more the merrier. That way you have your own thoughts written down in your own language and you don't have to have to rely on a computer.

And don't forget to hang around the board a lot, there's huge amounts of info here and lots of people willing to help. It's all about repetition, just do it over and over and eventually it sticks with you. And finally, don't rush it, remember: Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.(been saying that a lot lately, should translate it into na'vi maybe)
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Tutee A-nawm

Irayo.. ;)

Do you mean random sentenses, I found on the board, or something I can use in the day (to sound cool), or both?

And what guides do you prefer? I mean.. Theres a lot of things to read and print, but which one say it the 'easy' way so to speak..

Roiki

The grim truth is there are no "easy" way here since we don't have a single "beginners guide" yet. The beginner section contains pretty much everything you need to start putting things together. And i meant pretty much any sentence you find here in na'vi, i find it's easier to start translating from na'vi->english before going english-> na'vi but you need to find it out yourself, be adventurous. :)
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Tutee A-nawm

Irayo ma Roiki, irayo..

Correct?

Edit: Without - in ma-Roiki

Beduino

Kaltxì ma Rednilec!

As you said, I'm gonna give you some links, but just because I think they are very helpfull. :)

The home site has basically anything you need to start. But I'll give you some "direct directions".

The Compendium has resumed information that may be helpfull.

This one helped me a lot. I based myself on it for a lot of stuff.

But I still didn't know all those linguistic terms and was lost (and english is not my mother language.. Idk that stuff even in portuguese! hahahaha)
So I found explanation here

About phonetics, you have explanations here,
but you can also see these videos, and come here for some audio files.

Na'vi Lesson 1: Vowels and Ejectives
Na'vi lesson - Tricky /r/ and /rr/
Na'vi corpus

To end, you have 2 amazing download sections, that have some documents I told you and a bit more stuff :)

http://www.learnnavi.org/downloads/
http://www.talknavi.com/page.php?page=11

Of course, you don't need to read all of than in one day like crazy, because you will be lost. Just keep than in mind as resource during your studies, when you are not sure about something, etc.

Eywa ngahu ma Rednilec.
tsun ngal tslam fì'uti srak?

Oldslappy

Irayo friend. What does rednilec mean? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the lex...

Tutee A-nawm

Quote from: Oldslappy on December 27, 2009, 06:16:06 PM
Irayo friend. What does rednilec mean? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the lex...

Irayo ma Roiki, irayo.. ??

Irayo means thank you.
Ma is a form of title, i guess..
Roiki is his name :)

Tutee A-nawm

Quote from: Beduino on December 27, 2009, 05:10:44 PM
Kaltxì ma Rednilec!

As you said, I'm gonna give you some links, but just because I think they are very helpfull. :)

Eywa ngahu ma Rednilec.

Wow.. Thank you SOOOOO much.. I couldn't find a word in Na'vi that describes my appreciation.. This was exactly what I was looking for..

I have no questions left, for now..
Genius, absolutly genius..

Irayo ma Beduino sì ma Roiki, irayo. Eywa ngahu.

Is this btw the correct use of sì (and)?

Oldslappy

Quote from: Rednilec on December 27, 2009, 06:21:18 PM
Quote from: Oldslappy on December 27, 2009, 06:16:06 PM

Irayo ma Roiki, irayo.. ??

Irayo means thank you.
Ma is a form of title, i guess..
Roiki is his name :)
Oh, I didn't know that was your name! I really need to pay attention more...