Main Menu

Fay

Started by Eyawng te Klltepayu, December 08, 2010, 04:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Can I use fay with something in quantities of two or three?
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

wm.annis

Quote from: Eyawng te Klltepayu on December 08, 2010, 04:20:01 PMCan I use fay with something in quantities of two or three?

Nope.  Then you should use fìme+ and fìpxe+.  Except for losing a sound, there's nothing special about fay+ — it's just fì + ay+.

Kemaweyan

Use fìme+ or fìpxe+ ;) But please note that fì'u in dual, trial and plural is mefì'u, pxefì'u and ayfì'u (not fìmeu, fìpxeu and fayu). Same with tsa'u/tsaw.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Kemaweyan on December 08, 2010, 04:22:34 PM
Use fìme+ or fìpxe+ ;) But please note that fì'u in dual, trial and plural is mefì'u, pxefì'u and ayfì'u (not fìmeu, fìpxeu and fayu). Same with tsa'u/tsaw.

When did we get that?  I've always said *fayu  ???
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on December 08, 2010, 04:53:38 PM

Here http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/declension-of-nouns-ending-in-diphthongs-fi-and-tsa/ ;)

Quote from: wm.annis
Quote from: PawlThe plural of the stand-alone demonstrative pronoun tsa'u is (ay)sa'u, which follows the regular rules.

When I asked for clarification about the pronouns,

Quote from: PawlRight. With the pronouns, the order of elements is ay+tsa+'u rather than the expected tsa+ay+'u, etc.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Kemaweyan on December 08, 2010, 05:07:52 PM

Here http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/declension-of-nouns-ending-in-diphthongs-fi-and-tsa/ ;)

Quote from: wm.annis
Quote from: PawlThe plural of the stand-alone demonstrative pronoun tsa'u is (ay)sa'u, which follows the regular rules.

When I asked for clarification about the pronouns,

Quote from: PawlRight. With the pronouns, the order of elements is ay+tsa+'u rather than the expected tsa+ay+'u, etc.

Tam.  I misunderstood that statement, in a way that would be difficult for me to articulate...

So, to clarify, all of these are right?

ayfìpo, ayfì'u/(ay)sa'u, ayfìtseng/(ay)satseng, ayfìkem/(ay)sakem
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

When did we get that?  I've always said *fayu  ???

Me too. So our plural demonstratives are mefì-, pxefì-, and ayfì- for "these 2", "these 3", and "these?"  And then mesa-, pxesa-, and (ay)sa- for "those 2", "those 3", and "those?"

In one of the Frommer quotes that Kemaweyan posted, Paul said tsayhetuwong for "those aliens" then right under it he says "With the pronouns, the order of elements is ay+tsa+'u rather than the expected tsa+ay+'u, etc."  Was he demonstrating the wrong way to say it when he said tsayhetuwong?

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on December 08, 2010, 07:22:44 PM

When did we get that?  I've always said *fayu  ???

Me too. So our plural demonstratives are mefì-, pxefì-, and ayfì- for "these 2", "these 3", and "these?"  And then mesa-, pxesa-, and (ay)sa- for "those 2", "those 3", and "those?"

In one of the Frommer quotes that Kemaweyan posted, Paul said tsayhetuwong for "those aliens" then right under it he says "With the pronouns, the order of elements is ay+tsa+'u rather than the expected tsa+ay+'u, etc."  Was he demonstrating the wrong way to say it when he said tsayhetuwong?

-Txonä Rolyu

No, i think he's saying there's a different rule for regular nouns versus pronouns.  I guess my issue is i didn't think of words like fì'u as pronouns...?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

wm.annis

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on December 08, 2010, 07:22:44 PMMe too. So our plural demonstratives are mefì-, pxefì-, and ayfì- for "these 2", "these 3", and "these?"

Nope.  These noun prefixes have the order fì+me/pxe+, etc.  They aren't pronouns.  Only the independent forms, fì'u and the like, have the bizarre plural marking.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: wm.annis on December 08, 2010, 07:34:27 PM
Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on December 08, 2010, 07:22:44 PMMe too. So our plural demonstratives are mefì-, pxefì-, and ayfì- for "these 2", "these 3", and "these?"

Nope.  These noun prefixes have the order fì+me/pxe+, etc.  They aren't pronouns.  Only the independent forms, fì'u and the like, have the bizarre plural marking.

Ohhhhhh!! Ok so words like fì'u are....like..."special" words then. Gotta try to remember this.

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on December 08, 2010, 07:33:30 PM
No, i think he's saying there's a different rule for regular nouns versus pronouns.  I guess my issue is i didn't think of words like fì'u as pronouns...?

You're not alone, I didn't either. Not sure what I thought of them as to be honest.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

wm.annis

Quote from: Kemaweyan on December 08, 2010, 08:12:06 PMOnly two first :) fìtseng and fìkem are not pronouns ;)

Fìkem is definitely a pronoun; fìtseng is an adverb.

Kemaweyan

Quote from: wm.annis on December 08, 2010, 08:16:51 PM
Fìkem is definitely a pronoun; fìtseng is an adverb.

Yes.. But we can use fìtseng as a noun: oel fìtsengit tok :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: wm.annis on December 08, 2010, 07:34:27 PM

The fì+me/pxe+ seems to be the bizarre plural marking. I do not recall seeing these fi- plural forms before (or I may have, and it went in one mikyun and out the other). It is not in any of the basic tutorials. Yet another exception to the rule to memorize......  :-\

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

wm.annis

Quote from: Kemaweyan on December 08, 2010, 08:27:42 PMYes.. But we can use fìtseng as a noun: oel fìtsengit tok :)

Oh, yeah, place and time words are fairly fluid between nominal and adverbial uses in Na'vi.