having a lot of difficulty learning.. :/

Started by Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite, March 05, 2011, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

oe omum that the language is difficult in the first place.... but :-\

the reason I haven't been on the boards for the last few days is because I'm doing other things but I'm studying Na'vi as much as I can but I can't seem to get it down. it's mostly lenition, pronunciation- I know tx, kx, ulte px, and I've been practicing rr- as well as sentence order/structure. :(
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Stranger Come Knocking

I'm sorry.  Well, I won't pretend to know everything about learning a language, but I might be able to give you a few tips on what to tackle first. :)

1. Basic phrases (This way you have a very basic vocabulary and understanding.)
2. Simple sentences (things that don't take an object)
3. Basic sentences (things that take only an object)
4. Basic sentences with adj. (for some variety in your lexicon)
5. More complex sentences w/ indirect objects :P

It won't launch you from the Beginners to the nìNa'vi nì'aw overnight, but I figure it covers the basics.

Oh, and make sure to vary your vocabulary.  Reading and writing a book is great, but ultimately, there is more to do in life.  ;)

And if you are past all of this, then...have a cookie. *gives cookie*
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Alyara Arati

All of those are great tips.  The only thing I'll add is: don't be afraid to make mistakes! :)  It seems like half of what I know I learned from making mistakes and getting corrected; you learn to love it. :D
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Alyara Arati on March 05, 2011, 07:40:20 PM
All of those are great tips.  The only thing I'll add is: don't be afraid to make mistakes! :)  It seems like half of what I know I learned from making mistakes and getting corrected; you learn to love it. :D

Good point. :D And what's even more exciting is when the red and blue correction marks become less and less prominent.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

irayo nìtxan, ma tsmuk.

awh, I don't get a cookie ma Tanhì, 'cause I've only covered basic phrases :'( I think I'm trying to learn things way out of my league at my current status; including lenition and sentence order. thank you for those tips, once I've got those down, I'll be asking again how to cover the things I asked about in my OP :D

ma Tanhì, what would you recommend me to study for the rest of your tips? I like Le'eylan's Prezi lessons, but that's not covering what you said to learn first? :-\

Yayo

When I first started learning, I was spending about two hours per night studying. What really helped me when I started was either reading or listening to texts. I probably didn't understand them but at least I familiarised myself with sounds and visual text(s).

What also really helped me was memorising phrases which give examples of some of the rules. Just take some from the movie. Here's one that I used when I first started;

Oeri ta ngeyä fahew akewong ontu teya längu

This gives an example of
- Topical
- Ownership
- Attributive ADJ marker
- Mood expression

Small things like this really help. Spend some time in Na'vi nì'aw and read as much as you can! Install Skype if you don't already have it and speak to as many people as possible!

Anyway, I hope that this helps. Good luck.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Regarding lenition, here's a chart of letters that lenit:

px --> p

tx --> t

kx --> k

p --> f

t/ts --> s

k --> h

' --> nothing, it vanishes.

The tricky thing i've found about lenition is remembering which adpositions cause it. I'll post the list for you when I get to my home computer.

Regarding sentence order:

Word order in sentences is relatively free, you can order the words any way you want. The only exceptions are adjective/noun pairs, possesee/possessor pairs, ke or rä'ä/verb pairs, and I believe verb/adverb pairs as well. I can explain that a little more if you like :)

Also the tips about reading Na'vi are VERY good tips! That's exactly what I did when I was first starting out. I mAy not have been able to understand a lot of what I was reading, but looking at the Na'vi nì'aw posts just to analiyze the words and infixes and stuff that I knew helped a TON. It also helped me learn vocab as I went because whenever I came to words I didn't know I'd just look them up and be like "oh that's what that means!" As I continued reading Na'vi nì'aw posts, I found that the amount of words I had to look up was becoming less and less :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on March 05, 2011, 09:52:07 PM
Regarding lenition, here's a chart of letters that lenit:

px --> p

tx --> t

kx --> k

p --> f

t/ts --> s

k --> h

The tricky thing i've found about lenition is remembering which adpositions cause it.

Only a few (6):

fpi+, ìlä+, mì+, (pxi)sre+, ro+, wä+

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on March 05, 2011, 09:52:07 PM

One thing to keep in mind about it: it doesn't vanish before pseudo-vowels (i.e. ll and rr), so it's always 'Rrta.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite on March 05, 2011, 08:29:30 PM
ma Tanhì, what would you recommend me to study for the rest of your tips? I like Le'eylan's Prezi lessons, but that's not covering what you said to learn first? :-\

Quote from: Yayo. on March 05, 2011, 08:33:18 PM
Spend some time in Na'vi nì'aw and read as much as you can!

/\ This.  Or even in the Intermediate boards.  Go through and just find words you know.  Even better, spend on day focusing on Pronouns, another on Verbs, another on Adjectives, etc.  Make notes of the endings.  Keep Na'vi in a Nutshell handy and figure out why "Oe" is "Oel" in a particular sentence.  And try writing sentences of your own.  And, as has been reiterated many a time, don't be afraid to be wrong. :)
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Lenition is really easy to master. Basically, you see a progression of three key sounds. Ant these are: Kx > K, K > H; Px > P, P > F; Tx > T, T > S This takes care of a lot of the cases where lenition happens. Note that you will never see, for example Kx > K > H in one place. Only one 'level' of lenition ever happens.

If you have these, then you have left: TS > S; ` > (vanishes)

And just one special case: ` before LL or RR does not vanish.

This is all there is to lenition. A few minutes spent memorizing these patterns, and then applying them will get lenition down cold for you.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite on March 08, 2011, 02:44:42 AM
how do I know when to use lenition?

After me+, pxe+, ay+, fay+, tsay+, pe+, and those 6 adpositions listed above by Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea: fpi+, ìlä+, +, (pxi)sre+, ro+, +.  I'm sure someone will add to this list if I've left anything out.  If you ever see a (+) after an adposition or prefix, like in NiaN or Taronyu's dictionary, that means it causes lenition.  I hope this helps. :)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Kamean

And you also may read this post. It helps you better organize your study.  :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.