Main Menu

Help

Started by NaviFreedomFighter, October 03, 2010, 03:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaviFreedomFighter

I'm having serious trouble rememberng basic words how do I make myself remember?
Oel Ngati Kame (I See You) Its not just i'm seeing you in front of me its I see into your soul and understand you
My Na'vi Name is Ka'apeha
Tokx tsa'u uniltìranyu Slä my Ronsem si tirea na'vi
(I have the body of a dreamwalker, but my mind and spirit are Na'vi)

Away from November 3-15th (Final exams)

Nyx

Try writing some sentences using those words. That might be hard if you just started, but give it a shot and don't be afraid to ask for corrections :) And you might have an easier time remembering a sentence than a word.

You could also try flashcards or something, learning words the way they wanted you to at school, but that doesn't work for everyone.

And if the words are some that can be used for things around you, write them on post-its and stick those to the things. (This might be a problem if you're learning body-parts. The post-its tend to get in the way if you stick them to yourself, and for some strange reason, other people usually aren't very cooperative when it comes to being covered in yellow notes)

'Oma Tirea

'Aw thing Oe always like to si is sar Na'vi aylì'u in my sentences ;)

I also like to call it Nav'Ìnglìsì.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on October 03, 2010, 06:27:27 AM
'Aw thing Oe always like to si is sar Na'vi aylì'u in my sentences ;)

I also like to call it Nav'Ìnglìsì.

Thought I'd be the only person on 'Rrta who does such (crazy [it's even more fun if other people ask you about the meaning of the word]) things ;D But that's actually a way that could work for you to! And like it's said in the film: repetition, repetition.
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Maria TunVrrtep

Yep.  Repetition.  That's the best way to learn vocabulary.

I do like the idea of writing the words on postit notes and slapping them on the things around you.

I'll have to try that.
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

Vawm tsamsiyu

I like to say things I normally say but in na'vi
Like when it's hot outside I say fìtrr som längu (today is hot :( )
Then you remember it because you use it so much
they killed the [you] tag

Carborundum

Flashcards. They work.
Writing sentences and using words in context is all well and good, but it is nowhere near as effective as the raw watch-learn-repeat memorization that flashcards allow for. Download the latest TSV-version of Taronyu's dictionary, compiled by Eana Eltu, and import it into a flashcard program of your choice. I would recommend Anki.

Something to keep in mind however, is that memorizing words is not the same thing as learning a language. Grammar is more important, since if you know the rules of a language but not its vocabulary, you can still make yourself understood with the help of a dictionary, albeit very slowly.
The same is not true if you know only words but no grammar.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Carborundum on October 03, 2010, 04:44:24 PM
Flashcards. They work.
Writing sentences and using words in context is all well and good, but it is nowhere near as effective as the raw watch-learn-repeat memorization that flashcards allow for. Download the latest TSV-version of Taronyu's dictionary, compiled by Eana Eltu, and import it into a flashcard program of your choice. I would recommend Anki.

Something to keep in mind however, is that memorizing words is not the same thing as learning a language. Grammar is more important, since if you know the rules of a language but not its vocabulary, you can still make yourself understood with the help of a dictionary, albeit very slowly.
The same is not true if you know only words but no grammar.

Quite true.  And Na'vi in a Nutshell will help with the rules.  Vocabulary is only good after you learn the grammatical rules of a language.
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Another handy vocabulary learning tool is the vocabulary screensaver program you can learn more about at http://forum.learnnavi.org/learning-resources/vocabulary-learning-screensaver/. I keep a number of Na`vi language plugins up to date for this program (which isn't free, but its not expensive, either). As  much as I like this program, I am still trying to find a freeware version.

I am also slowly joining the ranks of making up sentences that use words I am trying to learn.

Above all, though, try na make learning an enjoyable experience. If you told me a year ago I would be engrossed in learning an interesting language, I would tel you you are crazy. But doing things like learning Na`vi are an important part of lifelong learning.

Be wary, though of those who like to mix up English and Na`vi. The sign that you are in real danger is when these folks start infixing English verbs....   :D

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

say it in your everday language... i do... my friends are starting to think i'm sane again cause i'm being consistent :P
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Pxia Säsngap

I remember me saying this somewhere else in the forum as well, but as it's an answer to this question, I will do it again. :)

I love such pictures where you have got some photo and you inscribe everything. My favourite is my Na'vipic in which I can inscribe every part of the body. I have always two copies of these pictures. One is fully done(to learn the vocab) and the other one has got the arrows that point to one part of the body each and it's laminated so that I can use an overhead marker to fill in the vocab and then I compare it to the first pic and check if everything's correct. :) After that I can clean the transparency and do this exercise again if I have forgotten some of these words :P
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

Le'eylan

You could use my prezis ----> HERE :D
There's no translation, only Na'vi word and picture.
example: http://prezi.com/ottn0_njzeh1/navi-vocabulary-1-the-body/
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=